Windows Phone 7
Dec 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 125

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting a new phone.  Does anyone have a Windows Phone 7?  If so, thoughts, comments?  Do you recommend it?  Did you have an iPhone or Android before the Windows phone?  If so, why did you switch?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 125
I had a chance to fool around with a few models at work and I've been quite impressed by them; very responsive screens, in the case of one particular LG I played around with, it's be far the most responsive screen I've seen to date, beating that of the iPhones (previously the most responsive touch screens I had seen). I've been told there are some interesting games and apps on them and much more to come-- in comparison, the growth (in regards to apps and signed on developers) of the W7 phones has been faster than the iPhone or Android when they had come out.

Previously, I felt if I didn't have a Blackberry, I would have easily buy an Android phone. Now, I feel as if I'm more tempted to go W7... But I do very much love my Blackberrys.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 125
I'm also tempted to switch when there's a WP7 with 4G on Verizon. The lack of decent media support on Android bothers me.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 125
I have a Samsung Focus and I absolutely love it.  I used to have an iPhone 3GS, but switched to a Blackberry Bold 9700, went back to the iPhone, dropped the iPhone for a Droid, ditched the Droid for a Bold 9650, and now on the Samsung Focus.

The iPhone was nice, but I the signal was spotty.  I could be at home at get excellent signal, but when I would go out of state to visit my parents, it was nearly impossible to get decent signal at my parents house (or indoors, for that matter).  I used to think the problem was AT&T, but the Bold 9700 and Focus are both AT&T as well, and I never had any major signal issues with the Bold and currently haven't experienced any major issues with the Focus.  I'm convinced the iPhone was the problem.  Plus being tied to iTunes sucked.  I hate iTunes and I hate Apple.

The Droid was pretty slick, but I was never satisfied with the battery life and, for me, the screen wasn't as responsive as I hoped it would be.  The iPhone was much better in this regard.  Other than that, the Droid was fantastic.

The Bold 9650 was a bad decision.  I couldn't resist the lure of the Blackberry, but looking back, there were a lot of things that the Droid did much better than the Bold (Gmail, for example).

Which brings me to the Focus.  I love the interface.  The ads will tell you it's designed to get you in and out of things quickly, and honestly, they're dead on.  It seems like I'm able to do things quicker on the Focus than on the other phones.  The OS is definitely green, but there's nowhere to go but up.  I'm definitely happy with WP7 and don't plan to upgrade any time soon.  And for the record, wireless syncing through Zune is awesome.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 125
I've played around with a WP7. I liked it lot and will change from my iPhone eventually....only problem is that you can't sync your contacts from Outlook....very stupid. But hopefully with release of Mango (the software update for WP7 coming later this year) that issue will be resolved. That being said though...that was the only issue I had with the phone I tried.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 125
I’ve also got a Mozart running WP7 – my old phone was a Nokia E7 and when it died I fancied trying something new.

On the whole I’ve been impressed. Compared to Android the interface is very smooth and responsive like an iphones which is something I really wanted. I like the basic interface of the live tiles a lot.

If you’re looking for apps and stuff like that I doubt the WP7 would be for you as iPhone and Android have had much more time to build that up. It’s got the things I wanted like Kindle reader, pod casts, maps, IGN, Engadet, facebook, ebay and plenty of games to chose from. If you have an Xbox its pretty cool to have your Xbox live profile synched in as well. I love the way the phone book synchronises with your facebook, so when I go to call someone I can see their latest status, their facebook photo, even go on to a live stream of their page. As I barely ever look at facebook anymore online, its a nice level of involvement with that side of things for me.

For someone like me who wants email and a browser, a few mainstream apps a functional phone, this is all good. But if you want loads of things to download and play with I think it’ll be a while yet before that starts happening.

The music player sounds really good I have to say, my old phone sounded dreadful as a DAP but this one, with an annoyingly limited version of the Zune software, sounds really good and the amp in the Mozart seems to have a bit of punch to it as well.

My main annoyance: No profiles. When I come into my house or a friends house I like to switch to wifi and turn off my data connection so I wont use up any allowance. When I leave the house I want to reverse that. But there is no ability to set up profiles so I have to do that all manually. Hope they fix that soon.

My main excitement: Touch Studio. I wish I knew how to use this myself and look forward to when there is more in the way of tutorials online but they have basically made an app for it that allows people to make their own apps for the phone. When things like this are offered online communities around it seem to form and a lot of exciting things get made. It’s this that really makes me think the platform has a bright future.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 125
My main annoyance: No profiles. When I come into my house or a friends house I like to switch to wifi and turn off my data connection so I wont use up any allowance. When I leave the house I want to reverse that. But there is no ability to set up profiles so I have to do that all manually. Hope they fix that soon.
The phone is optimized to have WiFi left on all the time. Disabling it won't save you any battery.  Just leave it on, and the phone will always use a WiFi connection when possible and fallback to 3G when out of range.
My phone doesn't come with notepad.  
OneNote?

Edit: The new forums don't support BBCode?  Seriously?  And they allow you to insert your own HTML?  Hello security flaws.  No wonder I stopped coming here.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 125
While I don't own a WP7 phone, I can speak towards the platform as a UI designer. I've done a lot of research into the platform simply because I need to be familiar for browser testing and the like. Here's the abridged version of what I know...

Variety of applications:
iOS > Android > WP7 > BB
 - It's no secret that iOS has by far the most apps on the market. Many free, many more paid. However, it's a close call for two reasons: First, Android can install any app it wants from any source and second, After a few thousand apps it's all redundant. WP7 actually has more than Blackberry if you don't count their new OS which runs Android apps.

Flexibility of OS:
Android > iOS > WP7 > BB
 - Android can be rooted, modified, warped, destroyed. You can do whatever you want to it on most handsets. Unless you want Honeycomb, then things get really iffy. iOS takes a lead over WP7 because there's a pretty solid community of people who unlock iPhones, giving you some of the flexibility of Android (though not nearly all). WP7, the jury is still out. Blackberry... Ugh.

Stability of OS:
iOS > BB > WP7 > Android
 - iOS is pretty rock solid, but you'd expect nothing less from an OS as locked up tight. It's also officially the most secure (thank you NSA). WP7 actually just barely edges out Android, even though it's younger. Again, the more locked-up nature of the OS helps.

Quality of Mobile-Web Experience:
iOS > Android >WP7 > BB
 - Right now, iOS has the best mobile browser on the market. Android is a very, very close second. It's only because iOS tends to have the absolute latest versions of Mobile WebKit running that it edges Android out. I know some people are going to call fowl over no Flash where it's on Android but I'm sorry, Flash on mobile does suck and contrary to what some might imply, you don't need Flash anymore except for a very limited number of the major sites. I came across one the other day, the first time in months and thought, "No HTML5 at all? Wow, that's just sad." WP7 takes a step back because it's running IE9's mobile version. It's good, but not as good as WebKit. BB's sucks, by the way.

Cross-Platform Support:
iOS > WP7 > BB > Android
 - iTunes on Macs and PCs. iTunes on PCs isn't the greatest but it's there and it works as expected. WP7 actually has a pretty solid beta client for Macs as well. Blackberry has some solid third-party developers who are filling the gaps. Android sucks on cross-platform. It's passable on Linux, OK on Windows but barely existent on Macs and what's there leaves a lot to be desired.

As I said, this is the abridged version. The general conclusion is I still think that for most users (especially those who aren't very technical and aren't going to get the full benefit of Android) iOS is currently the better mobile OS. Android is probably the second best and rather close behind. There are areas where iOS is markedly better but there are yet others where Android wins. If you're a technical person, don't have a Man and like to mess around and customize your gadgets, Android is your best bet by far.

WP7 is the interesting, though. It's very young but wow is it polished. I give it two years before WP7 has a good showing in the mobile space, if it starts to take off. Everyone I've talked to who has it, everyone who's seen it, we all are very impressed. Normally, I think Microsoft is horrible at UI design and normally they are. However, somehow they came up with the WP7 OS and it's a work of art. It's simple, intuitive and beautiful. It does take a bit of getting used to but it's not a hard learning curve. Once you figure it out, things just kind of flow from there. I'm very impressed and hope Microsoft keeps pushing it. It's about time iOS had some really polished competition that had a unique UI.

Blackberry... If you bought one of these you were either told to by your work, you didn't know anything about phones, or you have a lot of friends who have them and want to be on BBM. Otherwise, you'd be crazy to buy a BB. Why? Let's put it this way. The day before the first iPhone was announced, RIM thought it was impossible and the rumors were just that. They were a little vocal about it, too. But then, the next day, the iPhone launches. RIM panics. They have four all-hands meetings THAT DAY. Not to figure out how they're going to stay in the lead, not to figure out what their answer is going to be... Four meetings to answer one question: "How the heck did they even pull that off? It's not possible! Right?" They're still trying to figure it out.

Oh, there's WebOS as well, which is quite possibly the coolest of all the mobile OS around. However, it's barely made a blip. It's too bad, I would love to see some proper WebOS devices. Though, where WebOS is going to beat out the others is it takes full advantage of web tech on the OS level. It's recently been bought by HP so we'll see what they can do with it in their upcoming tablet.

OK, that's probably more information than you wanted but hopefully you'll find it helpful. If you want specifics on any of the points let me know.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 125

Quote:
 WP7 is the interesting, though. It's very young but wow is it polished. I give it two years before WP7 has a good showing in the mobile space, if it starts to take off. Everyone I've talked to who has it, everyone who's seen it, we all are very impressed. Normally, I think Microsoft is horrible at UI design and normally they are. However, somehow they came up with the WP7 OS and it's a work of art. It's simple, intuitive and beautiful. It does take a bit of getting used to but it's not a hard learning curve. Once you figure it out, things just kind of flow from there. I'm very impressed and hope Microsoft keeps pushing it. It's about time iOS had some really polished competition that had a unique UI.

I'd say that's a perfect summary right there. Young, but polished, and a couple of years down the line will be a real contender.

I do think they will keep pushing it. If you look at X-Box as an example of how they move into a new market - Microsoft don't seem too bothered about hurling dollars down a drain until they get a foothold. The mobile phones market is too big for them to give up on after a slow start and with them buying Skype and that talk of them buying Nokia (did that actually happen? Lost the thread of that story) I'd say they're here to stay.

The touch studio thing is quite exciting too I think.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 125
Seems like Windows Phone 7 on a "pad" hardware platform could give Apple some competition.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 125

Quote:
Seems like Windows Phone 7 on a "pad" hardware platform could give Apple some competition.

Some kind of sixth sense thing going on here. Was just thinking exactly the same thing. It'd be great for a "pad" format as the live tiles could be big enough to have a lot more going on in them.

No doubt Microsoft already have R&D going on...

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 125
I think you can insert BBCode if you click on the source button first... let me just test this theory... is this text in bold? Yes. Good.

Anyway, what's One Note? An app? Can't check now as I get no reception in my office.

Sorry your un BBCoded message confused me, I was reading your answer to the other poster.

My issue is two fold - Wifi is always seaching for networks and will keeep popping up a "wifi networks available" bar at the top of the screen that tends to get in the way of the "next card" on my solitare game and is generally distracting. 

I don't trust my phone not to use up my data allowance when I'm on wifi. Maybe I should, I  could just see myself getting charged for it somehow and I'd rather feel safe by having it completely disabled.

These issues aside - having profiles is something I want anyway. If I can work out how to use Touch Studio (it updated last night and I now have a tutorial video to go through) I'm going to see if I can make and "indoors-outdoors" button with it.

Quote:
The phone is optimized to have WiFi left on all the time. Disabling it won't save you any battery.  Just leave it on, and the phone will always use a WiFi connection when possible and fallback to 3G when out of range.
My phone doesn't come with notepad.  
OneNote?

Edit: The new forums don't support BBCode?  Seriously?  And they allow you to insert your own HTML?  Hello security flaws.  No wonder I stopped coming here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back