Windows Media Player vs. iTunes (Read before voting, and explain your reasoning please)
Mar 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 48
i love WMP11 on both xp and vista, (moving back to xp)

its looks are what do it for me, itunes just messes with my head leaves me all confused, i use it purly for syncing my iphone and nothing else!

for me the interface and look are most important, and i love how WMP can display album art for genre, artist, album views
on my screen 1920x1200 it allows you to see alot at once,

itunes is also temramental about displaying album art, i hate it, as i use album art as a way to identify the music i want to play

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 48
I don't really have a problem with either WMP or iTunes, it's just that if I decide to buy more MP3 players I want to know which one I'm gonna have to use. I say this because WMP and iTunes have 2 totally different tagging systems, and with my OCD, I have to make sure that everything is nice and clean. So I guess my real question is: Will it be better for me to keep going down the iPod/iTunes path, or the Windows-based MP3 players?

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really have a problem with either WMP or iTunes, it's just that if I decide to buy more MP3 players I want to know which one I'm gonna have to use. I say this because WMP and iTunes have 2 totally different tagging systems, and with my OCD, I have to make sure that everything is nice and clean. So I guess my real question is: Will it be better for me to keep going down the iPod/iTunes path, or the Windows-based MP3 players?

i have an obsession with ording of my music on my pc, file names, folders, tags, album art, etc, its time consuming without tag and rename

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 48
I would suggest you to take a look at Media Center 12 or the free Media Jukebox 12. Both from J. River. It is great software and it syncs with both MTP players and iPods. Even the new Touch.

It rips as good as EAC and it has way better organizing features than iTunes and WMP.

While playing music it uses 13mb on my system.

You can pretty much gets is a advance or simple as you please.
Here is a screenshot of my, at the moment, very small library (my iPod, and thus all my music, died).

At the moment I primarily use it for organizing school documents, but once I get my new mp3 player I will load some more music.

With MC and Total Commander you have got a pretty good XP machine (IMO)
smily_headphones1.gif

-Rasmus

Edit: Between Amazon and iTunes I would chose Amazon. Mp3 are future proof. Encrypted AAC tracks are not. In your shoes I would remove FairPlay. . .

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #21 of 48
The jukebox is freeware, but audio only. Try it out. If you need more features and more media types you can always opt for MC.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 48
What does the plugin do? Chances are you can do it in the Jukebox. If nothing else, than via a playing now login, but I think there is a dedicated pluig in for it.
Ask in the Interact forum. I guess there is most activity in the MC forum. There is links to help threads and wikis too.
-Rasmus

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 48
iTunes. I don't buy music online, so the estores don't really matter. I like the way I can make playlists and sort music quickly and easily through iTunes.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 48
I do own J. River's Media Center and while I like it, I don't trust it with iPod. It has f#@ked up my iPod so many times.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 48
I have used J. River Media Center with the iPod since v. 9. It supported the iPod on Windows before iTunes did. It saved my iPod a couple of time, by repairing a broken database.
-Rasmus

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cannot believe i voted on this: shows how far i have come. i used to detest itunes as it was bloated, slow and too unresponsive. now i have a mac and find it a pleasure to run and even on windows, the drag and drop capability to a portable player is great (works very well on any player that properlly supports id3 tags - meizu m6, sometimes cowon d2).

yeah, i was an old winamper and then foobarer for years, but other than excellent recording capabilities (for old field recordings done on non-uploading md), i don't use it anymore. itunes lets me get to anything i want quickly and in a nice no frills yet easy to understand system.

You sound like 50% of the die hard windows enthusiasts I used to know about 5-8 years ago. They hated macs. Now half of them run them and love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back