Windows 8 tablet + Jriver plugin + a Portable DAC???
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #17 of 19

Today I got my hands on an Asus B121, Windows 'tablet' i5, 4GB, 12" screen and installed Windows 8.1 on it.
If this is the tablet experience of Windows (Metro) I already know enough:
Tablets = Android (or iOS)
Desktops/Laptops = Windows 8.1 (with a Classic Shell add-on.)

No way I can see myself getting used to a tablet with Metro, so back to Android for me!

Different strokes for different folks.  I have a Surface Pro 3, wouldn't trade it for any Android tablet.  (I had Nexus 7 before).

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 19
So, get Samsung Tab4 7inch. I told you. It's the easiest solution. Tab 4 series is very compatible with DACs.

I know you did but I needed to test the Windows option as well. :wink:

Different strokes for different folks.  I have a Surface Pro 3, wouldn't trade it for any Android tablet.  (I had Nexus 7 before).

Agree if you are using the surface with a keyboard as a conventional laptop. I just can't get used to Metro and a touch screen on a Windows device for that matter.
I still have a Nexus 7 (2013 HD) but because of the lack of expendable storage and it's incompatibility with my DAC I was searching for a new mobile DAP. Using the Asus B121 (which is too large for my needs anyway) proved to me that Windows combined with touch is not my cup of tea.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 19

Does it work with portable DACs such as Geek Out?

Yep.

HP Stream 7 -> JRiver (WASAPI) -> OTG Cable -> GO450 -> HD650

I had been considering a similar set-up with a Surface.  Last week I needed to buy a new Office license for one of our computers, so ended up getting this for $80 since it included Office (one license for the tablet and another one for PC/MAC) plus 1TB of OneDrive storage and a $25 gift card to use in the Windows store (music, obviously).  I figured for $20-$30 extra, I'd have a Win 8 tablet to play with before committing to a Surface to make sure everything works well.  The 1gb ram is not great and the storage not massive (sd cards will help), so it seems a little slow compared to even my Kindle Fire HDX, but then I have yet to optimize the Win8 tablet in any way.  I've also just pointed the tablet to my server and my OneDrive account for music that won't fit and it works like a champ.

JRiver in theater view works well.  Maybe someone has skinned JRiver for a Win tablet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back