Windows 8 tablet + Jriver plugin + a Portable DAC???
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kawaivpc1

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys,

Has anyone tried this set up yet?

I found this 7" windows 8 tablet which costs 99 dollars:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500

It has a microSD card slot + 32GB internal storage. As far as I know, It's possible to run JRiver media player on a windows tablet.

Does it work with portable DACs such as Geek Out?

Let me know if you guys have tested this kind of set up. I'd love to try this. JRiver is much better than Android UAPP, of course!

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 19
Don't see why it wouldn't work as the Stream 7 is a full x86 Windows tablet so it's pretty much a ultra portable Windows PC.  Only thing you will need is a mini-USB OTG cable because the tablet won't have a full size USB port.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 19
  Don't see why it wouldn't work as the Stream 7 is a full x86 Windows tablet so it's pretty much a ultra portable Windows PC.  Only thing you will need is a mini-USB OTG cable because the tablet won't have a full size USB port.

Has anyone tested this yet?
How can I install Jriver Media player or Foobar 2000 on this tablet?
My concern is its compatibility with DACs... no one knows yet.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 19
  Has anyone tested this yet?
How can I install Jriver Media player or Foobar 2000 on this tablet?
My concern is its compatibility with DACs... no one knows yet.

It's a full x86 Windows tablet, meaning you can just copy over the installation files and run it.  It should also just accept DAC USB drivers.  There's really no difference between this tablet and your desktop PC except less computing power.  

I haven't tried DACs, but at work I've installed all sorts of x86 programs and USB hardware on Intel Atom tablets for testing, and they work just fine, no reason DACs won't work.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 19

It's a full x86 Windows tablet, meaning you can just copy over the installation files and run it.  It should also just accept DAC USB drivers.  There's really no difference between this tablet and your desktop PC except less computing power.  

I haven't tried DACs, but at work I've installed all sorts of x86 programs and USB hardware on Intel Atom tablets for testing, and they work just fine, no reason DACs won't work.

Sounds good, I will give it a shot.
If they all work, this is going to be much better than Android tablets.
JRiver media player blows UAPP out of the water for sure.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 19
And have you tried? I am looking into a similar setup. 
Thanks for sharing.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for your reply. Note 4 is far more expensive though, what are the benefits according to you, and which player are you using with it?

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for your reply. Note 4 is far more expensive though, what are the benefits according to you, and which player are you using with it?

Note 4 is compatible with nearly all portable DACs.
Check my thread about "512GB ultimate DAC".
Once you get a modified note 4, you will never need another portable player or device.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 19
Note 4 is compatible with nearly all portable DACs.
Check my thread about "512GB ultimate DAC".
Once you get a modified note 4, you will never need another portable player or device.

Thanks, found the thread. Great stuff but I got a decent phone so don't need the LTE capabilities.
The Note 4 costing 620 Euro's where I live (= $ 700), at that price there are better alternatives for my needs.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks, found the thread. Great stuff but I got a decent phone so don't need the LTE capabilities.
The Note 4 costing 620 Euro's where I live (= $ 700), at that price there are better alternatives for my needs.

Note 3 can work with the same battery case and 512GB SD card.
A modified Note 3 is still much better than DAP or Tablets.
I think Note 3 is about 300 dollars or less. Try to find a used one on EBay if you want to save more money.

The 10,000mAh Note 3 battery case and 512GB card can be ordered from Amazon.com.
Remember that usual phones, DAPs, tablets come with a 3000mAh battery.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 19
Samsung Note 3 still $ 550....Used ~ $ 400, to expensive for my needs
Will look into small android tablet combined with the iDSD Nano I already have

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Samsung Note 3 still $ 550....Used ~ $ 400, to expensive for my needs
Will look into small android tablet combined with the iDSD Nano I already have

I've tried many tablets. Samsung Tab 4 7" tablet would be your next best choice. It has a microSD card slot which can be used with an adapter and 256GB or 512GB sd card. You can simply cover the sd card with a leather case.
Tab 4 is very compatible with DACs too.

On the other hand, Nexus 7 isn't. It can turn on some DACs but it's very buggy.

Get a Samsung Tab 4 7inch. It's about 120 dollars and the smallest.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 19
I've tried many tablets. Samsung Tab 4 7" tablet would be your next best choice. It has a microSD card slot which can be used with an adapter and 256GB or 512GB sd card. You can simply cover the sd card with a leather case.

If you are getting a 7inch tablet you really should get a Windows one like the HP Stream 7 which goes for 99 bucks.  You will have no problems with compatibility because it is full Windows.  

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 19

If you are getting a 7inch tablet you really should get a Windows one like the HP Stream 7 which goes for 99 bucks.  You will have no problems with compatibility because it is full Windows.  

Today I got my hands on an Asus B121, Windows 'tablet' i5, 4GB, 12" screen and installed Windows 8.1 on it.
If this is the tablet experience of Windows (Metro) I already know enough:
Tablets = Android (or iOS)
Desktops/Laptops = Windows 8.1 (with a Classic Shell add-on.)

No way I can see myself getting used to a tablet with Metro, so back to Android for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back