windows 7 sound output capable of multi output simultaneously?
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RockinCannoisseur

500+ Head-Fier
i have vista and like many of you im sure, i get super annoyed having  to switch sound output, then disable and reopen windows etc.   and your allowed to keep your outputs working, but they dont,  its no surprise but i figure it is 2010, and it should be more than possible for a cpu to accomplish.  or is this just impossible?
    so i  thought maybe windows 7 ?       sigh , shot in the dark

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I think its is possible, that is actually the main reason I'm considering going to win7. I plan to run the new card from creative for gaming and run my essence st for music.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 8
Saw this thread, been lurking on head-fi for a long time.  Decided to answer this for you.  

In windows7 you can switch between audio sources without rebooting windows.  I switch between my xfi prelude for headphones/gaming and HDMI out from my 5870 to my 5.1 receiver for movies.  

Just go into sound properties and disable whichever one you aren't using and enable the other.  It works great.  

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Having Win7 x64, out of curiosity, what's the deal with ASUS asking you to disable the onboard sound card before booting with the STX installation; assured recognition/driver conflict?

???

(FWIW, I'm just curious in that I don't have need for multiple sound card recognition capability.)

confused.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 8
Multioutput is possible for programs that can make use of ASIO4ALL (ie. winamp, foobar). ASIO4ALL takes over the Sound Properties controls when it is running and is able to reroute audio to many different ouputs at once, including the ones in your soundcard, video card (HDMI), and USB audio devices. I have ASIO4ALL installed alongside my stock ASIO drivers, which isn't really a problem, as long as you don't have programs/devices that try to use both at the same time (for instance: playing music on Foobar while editing music with ASIO capable progames such as Cubase, Ableton, etc..)

I've made it so Foobar outputs audio through the analog outs and SPDIF simultaneously in Windows 7 through my Prelude X-fi soundcard. I actually used this so I could A/B compare my soundcard's DAC to my Onkyo 805's DAC.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Multioutput is possible for programs that can make use of ASIO4ALL (ie. winamp, foobar). ASIO4ALL takes over the Sound Properties controls when it is running and is able to reroute audio to many different ouputs at once, including the ones in your soundcard, video card (HDMI), and USB audio devices. I have ASIO4ALL installed alongside my stock ASIO drivers, which isn't really a problem, as long as you don't have programs/devices that try to use both at the same time (for instance: playing music on Foobar while editing music with ASIO capable progames such as Cubase, Ableton, etc..)

I've made it so Foobar outputs audio through the analog outs and SPDIF simultaneously in Windows 7 through my Prelude X-fi soundcard. I actually used this so I could A/B compare my soundcard's DAC to my Onkyo 805's DAC.

so it is possible:)   and then i can finally a/b my dac's quickly?  i just need asio4all.    i use foobar2000 sothis shouldnt be a problem.   ideally i would like to have multi output for at least 2 usb devices adn at llst one toslink device,   so i can then a/b different usb dac's and use the toslink as reference.  that would be very boss indeed.

vista makes me close and reopen programs to get the effect i.e  location free, itunes, and especially annoying is when i have adobe opened., even when i close and open a window sometimes it will get stuck and take a few try's.   fubar is better only requiring me to stop and start the song tochange from say toslink to usb device, while annoying itunes makes u close out of entire program and restart to get sound from new device..  if i remember correctly musicmonkey was also this way as well.
         so could i fix the glitch with asio4all via vista   i am constantly comparing stuff so this would help a lot.
thanks for your help

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, you need the asio4drivers AND the asio4all plugin for foobar2000.

I have not personally tried it with USB devices, but USB audio devices are detected in the ASIO4ALL control panel with an option to enable them. Once enabled, go into Foobar, and then go into Preferences>Playback>Output>ASIO Virtual Devices and Install ASIO4ALL as a new virtual device. Then you can start mapping your L/R channels to your all your USB devices and outputs on your soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back