Windows 7 audio a huge step back for me
Dec 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Brewmaster

100+ Head-Fier
I guess I should have done a little more research before upgrading to Windows 7.

Now I've lost two things that were important to me.

1. Bitperfect output from all music applications (Itunes, Zune).
2. Simultaneous output from SPDIF and analog outputs.

This is running with an Auzentech Prelude on Win 7 64 bit.

What a pain. Now I have to find a new application for playing audio (Foobar doesn't do it for me anymore) that supports ASIO or WASAPI.
And I have to switch back constantly between digital and analog.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why blame the OS, when the problems seems to be with the Prelude drivers?

I'm not blaming the OS, just a statement that the upgrade set me back.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Try the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Better driver support in 32-bits. Bit-perfect WASAPI with iTunes works in 32-bit but not the 64-bit Windows 7.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Better driver support in 32-bits. Bit-perfect WASAPI with iTunes works in 32-bit but not the 64-bit Windows 7.

Probably not a bad idea, I just don't want to undo all the work I've done in the last day getting this machine setup.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 24
I'm really not liking this SPDIF and Analog showing up as separate devices.

Installed MediaMonkey and the ASIO plugin. Unfortunately the ASIO plugin seems to only work with the analog output!

So far Foobar and WASAPI is the only working option I've got for bitperfect.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should have done a little more research before upgrading to Windows 7.

Now I've lost two things that were important to me.

1. Bitperfect output from all music applications (Itunes, Zune).
2. Simultaneous output from SPDIF and analog outputs.

This is running with an Auzentech Prelude on Win 7 64 bit.

What a pain. Now I have to find a new application for playing audio (Foobar doesn't do it for me anymore) that supports ASIO or WASAPI.
And I have to switch back constantly between digital and analog.

1. Zune is bitperfect for me on Windows 7 x64, as is foobar2000 if I use WASAPI or similar outputs. I don't mess with garbage like iTunes.

2. Everything that is played back through DirectSound will go to your default playback device. It will play simultaneously with anything you explicitly path, such as telling Foobar2000 to play over USB and having Winamp play over Toslink.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not a bad idea, I just don't want to undo all the work I've done in the last day getting this machine setup.

Save a disk image of your 64-bit setup. You'll be able to restore that disk image, and be right back where you currently are, if you find that the 32-bit OS version is just as quirky. I love disk images.

I'm not a proponent of going 64-bit for general home use quite yet. 64-bit is still going through teething pains. Not quite ready yet. Developers (both application and driver level) are still learning how to properly support it. 64-bit is a toy for the early adopters. 4 GB of RAM (and yeah, you don't get to use all 4 GB in a 32-bit OS) is plenty for the vast majority of home use. If I was setting up a specialized machine for a specific use (like software development or a studio DAW station) I'd consider 64-bit. But for general use I'd go 32-bit.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 24
You're the only one I've seen that thinks Win7 is a step back...

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 24
Shhhh...
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 24
Head-fi is evil. My wallet hates me, but I've learned so much from the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back