Windows 7. Anyone upgrade from XP Pro?
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #46 of 69
@leeperry: It's amusing to see how you're trying to get out of the spotlight by writing even more nonsensical stuff and editing your old post and replacing all of what you wrote with a smiley, so that follow up readers couldn't see what you wrote.

chickenpc.jpg

Grow up, lad.
tongue.gif

-------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I did a clean install, and being a little impatient, I managed to lose my email (folders, etc.), using mozbackup, which failed to work. It worked for Firefox, but not Thunderbird. I guess a good reason to use a web mail program full-time.

A simple way to back up Thunderbird (or Firefox) profiles is to navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\
(or \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\)
and copy your profile to a save location, after a clean install simply copy it back.
On Win7 the path is C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah well, maybe it's still there...but the classic start menu is GONE: The Complete Guide to the Windows 7 Start Menu | Windows 7 Tutorials

Considering it was awful, I don't see that as a problem. But then again, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:

...constant mandatory confirmations...

I'm running UAC at default settings and I disagree about confirmations being constant; they are few and far between after the initial application install spree. And, to be honest, better constant confirmations than every "n00b" running as admin.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
replacing all of what you wrote with a smiley

yes, all knowledge is not good to share...lemme run my lightweight lightening fast XP, and I'll you run your resources hogging/noobish OS(you're on my ignore list BTW, auf wiedersehen snake oil sheik
wink.gif
)

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, all knowledge is not good to share...lemme run my lightweight lightening fast XP, and I'll you run your resources hogging/noobish OS(you're on my ignore list BTW, auf wiedersehen snake oil sheik
wink.gif
)

Once again, if you're so anti-resource usage go to the lightest version of Linux you can get. Arguably Windows XP is just as noobish in all honesty.

The rest of us that have a system that runs Windows 7 well will run Windows 7. Complaining about a new OS using more resources is like complaining that a 486 can't run Windows XP. You would have to be touched in the head to think utilizing your system is a bad thing.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #51 of 69
So do you all you PC guys still have to use foobar for your music with Win7? Or can you now use any other media player for bit perfect playblack?

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ1618 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering upgrading from XP. I want to wait a few months for the bugs to worked out though

Those "few months" were the public Beta and RC.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ1618 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering upgrading from XP. I want to wait a few months for the bugs to worked out though

What bugs are you talking about?

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you all you PC guys still have to use foobar for your music with Win7? Or can you now use any other media player for bit perfect playblack?

What's wrong with foobar? I'm using foobar and Windows 7 at home.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #57 of 69
I was worried that Windows 7 would just be another bad Microsoft OS. I was pleasantly surprised when I did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It runs very smoothly and is very fast. I'm loving it. I'm also a Mac guy at work, and I wouldn't say that Windows 7 is like the Mac, it's much more like Vista but smooth and clean. So far it's the best OS they've made.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #58 of 69
Heard that it should slow up pretty badly after a while of use.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unlikely. Vista gets faster over time, and 7 should be the same.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That report was from the guys that do PC mechanic . . . it was basically a reference to spyware and a cluttered registry.

They also immediately tried selling their product saying it would fix the problem afterward . . . even though there will be plenty of free solutions soon enough . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back