Windows 10 music player apps / programs - Which works best?
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sebasistan

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since jumping on to the DAP bandwagon, I pretty much stopped using any of my computers as music players.
But there's still things I need a windows music player app for, especially in terms of organizing, tagging and creating playlists. The latter is kind of important.

I am an old school Winamp user. I used to organize my music based around folders, until Winamp went and did that whole library thing.

What I like about Winamp is that it's fairly customizable, and I can tell it how to present my library in terms of tag hierarchies (Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Track, which basically allows me to emulate my folder structure in the media library). I also like how creating playlists is pretty straightforward (highlight track(s), "send to" playlist / create new playlist), as well as a bunch of other options like the ability to randomize playlists, etc. Also tagging large amounts of music works pretty well and pretty reliably.

A problem with Winamp is that it's at this point pretty old and no longer supported (well, last I checked anyway). It can be crash-prone. And transferring playlists to Android devices is sometimes... Spotty, to say the least (but then I had that issue with Media Monkey as well, but MM was less crashy).

And now I'm wondering, what is the music player / management software that most of all y'all use and recommend these days?

I have used Media Monkey and Music Bee, both of which I recall being a bit less than ideal in terms of playlist management. I regularly used Foobar 2000 just for listening to music (I find it insufferable for making and managing playlists, but it's pretty good for just listening, it has one of the best "watch folder" features that basically instantly updates the library once new music is added to a watched folder). None of those really come close to Winamp's functionality. But Winamp's age and apparent incompatibility with newer Android devices makes it kinda meh.

So basically, I'm looking for either a way to make Winamp work better with my Shangling M6, or for an alternate player software that plays better with my DAP while being as close as possible to the features I love in Winamp.

Suggestions?

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 3
My personal opinion is that you dismissed MusicBee too soon. As a decade-long Foobar 2000 user, I switched a couple of years ago and never looked back.

This has also been discussed ad nauseam. Opinions run strong therein, but check this recent thread for a discussion on Windows media players:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foobar2000-or.929216/

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 3
My personal opinion is that you dismissed MusicBee too soon. As a decade-long Foobar 2000 user, I switched a couple of years ago and never looked back.

This has also been discussed ad nauseam. Opinions run strong therein, but check this recent thread for a discussion on Windows media players:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foobar2000-or.929216/

Yeah I actually did dismiss MusicBee too soon. Now I got myself a USB dac/amp - one of the long-term effects of quarantine, with working from home I ended up turning my glorified gaming console of a PC back into an actual work station that I'm now also using to listen to music again. And well, I got into using MusicBee. Took a bit of tinkering, it's not QUITE as intuitive as other players, but it sure is versatile. Just needs some playing around with. It's also very good for tagging and assigning cover art and stuff. Wonder how it would handle playlists, but honestly, I don't really have time for playlists right now anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back