Windows 10 has better sound quality than Windows 7! (On my computer; not necessarily yours.)
Feb 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #91 of 131

hehe. My browser froze on both from time to time anyway. I don't bother doing any maintenance. I'm the type of person who would rather hire someone to do work for me. XD

That makes me wonder...  No maintenance?

That sounds like why upgrading to Windows 10, or any OS for that matter, would give you an improvement.

If you do not do any maintenance?  Well?   It was not necessarily Windows 10 that sounded better.  It could have been the temporary straightening out of some software function that most likely caused some improvement...

CCleaner is easy to use, and is free!   https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Something like Diskeeper works constantly in the background to keep your hard drive lined up and for quickest access.  http://www.condusiv.com/products/diskeeper/    

Now that I have a solid state drive, I no longer use Diskeeper.  No one should defrag a SSD.   But any regular hard drive will benefit in a good way.  Hard drives last a lot longer when everything is constantly organized.  Access to audio files is improved. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #92 of 131
  That makes me wonder...  No maintenance?

That sounds like why upgrading to Windows 10, or any OS for that matter, would give you an improvement.

If you do not do any maintenance?  Well?   It was not necessarily Windows 10 that sounded better.  It could have been the temporary straightening out of some software function that most likely caused some improvement...

CCleaner is easy to use, and is free!   https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Something like Diskeeper works constantly in the background to keep your hard drive lined up and for quickest access.  http://www.condusiv.com/products/diskeeper/    

Now that I have a solid state drive, I no longer use Diskeeper.  No one should defrag a SSD.   But any regular hard drive will benefit in a good way.  Hard drives last a lot longer when everything is constantly organized.  Access to audio files is improved. 

My point is that after upgrading to Windows 10, the sound improved. I have no way of knowing the cause, so whatevs.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #95 of 131
There is no way your auditory memory can hold that kind of information for comparison sake. It is your mind playing games with you.

That's unfair how some insist on that myth.  Some of us can hear  and remember differences easily.  We all do not have short term auditory memory problems.  Many musicians who tune instruments know that their memory is good in this area.

In reality it may in fact sound better to him now with Windows 10.  But,  without having ever done PC maintenance its a skewed comparison.  That would be like never checking your tire pressure and alignment and letting all the tires and wheels run out of range.  Those tires may be very good ones.  But, without proper maintenance?  The car would run below par.  So?  When you get new tires?  And, when new they are set to where they should be?  Even if the new tires were inferior to the old ones?  The new tires when freshly set will seem better!   That is not a way to review tires any more than doing a review of different operating systems. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #96 of 131
  That's unfair how some insist on that myth.  Some of us can hear  and remember differences easily.  We all do not have short term auditory memory problems.  Many musicians who tune instruments know that their memory is good in this area.

In reality it may in fact sound better to him now with Windows 10.  But,  without having ever doing maintenance its a skewed comparison.  It would be like never checking your tire pressure and alignment and letting all the tires and wheels get out of range.  The tires may be very good ones.  But, without proper maintenance?  The car would run below par.  So?  When you get new tires?  And, when new they are set to where they should be?  Even if those new tires were inferior to the old ones?  The new tires when freshly set properly will seem better!   That is not a way to review tires, no more than different operating systems.

Yes, I'm certainly not claiming that Windows 10 definitively sounds better under all circumstances; just shared an experience I had. Others have reported their own experiences, whether they be positive, negative, or neutral.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #97 of 131
Wrong. Nobody in history has been able to prove such memory. People like to claim how they are superior to others. When it comes to hard evidence they are unable to prove themselves to be even slightly better than average.

You can't really remember even significant differences when it comes to auditory memory. And windows 10 doesn't make significant changes. No OS ever made significant differences. Even an amp or DAC can't such a big difference that you can recall it from memory. Only transducers can make that kind of difference where too memory would only be an approximation and not an accurate indicator.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #98 of 131
  Wrong. Nobody in history has been able to prove such memory. People like to claim how they are superior to others. When it comes to hard evidence they are unable to prove themselves to be even slightly better than average.

You can't really remember even significant differences when it comes to auditory memory. And windows 10 doesn't make significant changes. No OS ever made significant differences. Even an amp or DAC can't such a big difference that you can recall it from memory. Only transducers can make that kind of difference where too memory would only be an approximation and not an accurate indicator.

So you don't notice that one thing is, say, bass-heavy and another is bass-light? That sucks.
tongue.gif

I recently switched from one amp to another. My headphones went from bass-heavy to bass-light, among other things. Very significant, very easy to remember difference.

Don't tell other people what they hear. If you're gonna harass people like that, do it in the Sound Science section, not my thread.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #99 of 131

So you don't notice that one thing is, say, bass-heavy and another is bass-light? That sucks.
tongue.gif

I recently switched from one amp to another. My headphones went from bass-heavy to bass-light, among other things. Very significant, very easy to remember difference.

Don't tell other people what they hear. If you're gonna harass people like that, do it in the Sound Science section, not my thread.

That is a difference in volume. It is very easy to confuse the two.

And yes sometimes one amp may actually have more bass than the other and you will remember that, but that is it.

Bass is the easiest to remember. A Windows change won't do that unless you're talking of a difference in gain.

And a DAC won't do that either unless it is terrible.

An amp could do that. And yes you will remember that, but not exactly how it sounds, just that one is tighter/louder/etc.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #100 of 131

And yes sometimes one amp may actually have more bass than the other and you will remember that, but that is it.

Bass is the easiest to remember. A Windows change won't do that unless you're talking of a difference in gain.

An amp could do that. And yes you will remember that, but not exactly how it sounds, just that one is tighter/louder/etc.

The two amps (one a lower-power desktop amp with high output impedance, the other a portable amp/DAC) sound completely different, trust me.

And again, don't tell me what I heard. I'm sick of people spouting theory when they did not hear what my ears did. It was a dramatic improvement that impressed me.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #101 of 131

High transparency of an audio system will solve your dilemma. Veiled audio makes detecting difference hard to do. Every piece of equipment... wires,  cables.. tubes... opamps... will make a system sound different. And, less transparent, or more.  If differences can not be heard?  Its an issue of transparency, not your memory.  If you have as sinus infection?  Tasting foods to see which is a better recipe can be a vain experiment.  Lack of transparency is like having a bad head cold.

Back in the day when audio was first becoming popular, many people had to be told what to listen for when auditioning a piece of equipment. Since systems were veiled?  Certain details were to be concentrated on rather than the music itself.  "Oh this one is a little bit brighter!"  "This one is a little mellower."   Yet?  Which sounds better?   No one could tell, because of the lack of transparency.  Transparency would not allow them that freedom to know for themselves. 

I used to sell audio.  I speak from experience.  Those working in the shop could easily hear differences that customers could not. The customer had to try to figure out what it was they were to listen for.   When there is transparency?   The playing field becomes much easier. They will simply know.

Those who claim that our memory plays tricks is a sure sign they have yet to hear a truly transparent system.  For,  without transparency?  Neither component does one like the sound.  They can only like one difference, not the presentation of real music. 

It often time comes down to something like...   "Which lousy tasting pizza do you prefer?"    That's the problem.  Really good sound does not have to be explained, nor analyzed.  When the sound is not good between compared units?  Then it too often becomes a matter of choosing things to concentrate on that become the lesser of the two evils.  Nothing really good is found in that case.  Its why so many are frustrated with their systems.  They do not know the basics that must be first followed.  The painful critics who claim that others only think they hear a difference are often times ignorant that their own systems are veiling the sound.  Its they that are not free to hear the differences.

If you never know how to fine tune a system?  Its could actually be great sounding potentially, but they will never know it.  Try  looking through a great microscope that is not focused.  Someone will think its a piece of junk because they do not know it needs to be fine tuned first.   Likewise, great systems that are not set up incorrectly can sound lousy.  Add to that..  One fine tune tweak may open up a need for another once the transparency is improved.  The new level of transparency may expose another thing not right... But?  The tweak may be seen as no good because the person does not sense that higher transparency exposes problems that had been undetected .  Patience and getting the best out of what you now have is the best thing to do before considering upgrading. Many upgrade a component in an attempt to overcome a problem they hear that would never solve what is causing their real problem. Its their inability to know how to fine tune. I have known of drummers who keep buying new drums because they never can master what's needed to optimally tune. Fist optimally tune what you have.  Stick with it and learn, learn, learn. If one new component sounds lousy out of the box?  Don't listen to those who say breaking in is a myth.  Their systems are too veiled to know.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #102 of 131
All this is bollocks. Please read more about the science behind audio.

A have a great sounding system. Great science and engineering. Keep it as simple as possible... and make it well.   It took years to get there.  Much learning and applying took place.  Its not bollocks.  Simple things like treating opamp sockets can transform a harsh sound... Making sure cables do not cause skin effect...  Finding the right power conditioner for the job.  You may be surprised to find out that a simple and rather inexpensive power conditioner works great with the PC,  but for some reason does not work with the audio equipment which needs another kind. Etc. 

What the scientists (allegedly) are finding out is how people who lack the ability to know what is going on, will respond to what is before them. It can be like asking survey questions in a way that will cause a certain kind of response.  I used tio A-B speaker systems for customers. Same with amps.  We needed to set the levels carefully to be equal.   In the mean while nothing sounded as good as they could under those conditions. 

When you hear something truly sounding good?  You stop analyzing.  But, in maturing in the world of audio we need to analyze in our process of learning what we need to know. What if all headphones exhibit a form of distortion yet to be recognized?  Once understood and overcome, it would greatly enhance your listening pleasure?  You think you would still be seeing heated debates after someone gave the solution a try?  Only those refusing the solution would have something negative to say.  Hate to say it.  Some people live to try to make happy people to be unhappy.  That is another kind of distortion that needs to be addressed when searching for audio solutions.  Some people hate to see others being happy and content.  It makes them contentious.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #103 of 131
All this is bollocks. Please read more about the science behind audio.

But aren't you techboy!?? The great one that argued to put an amp to the wireless rs senheisers? You're on the highway to get banned again..
For you who doesn't know him,google techboy+audio forums
It is also weird you talk about auditory memory,because I found you recommending HD800,etc though you don't own them and only heard them once or twice.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #104 of 131
This is what separates "objectivists" from serious audiophiles: one reads about "the science" behind audio while the other actually uses the equipment before talking about how it sounds. Serious audiophiles do not want to hear about theory; they want to hear what something does to improve the sound quality of their system. If you can also discover the objective reason for such an improvement, so be it. But writing something off without hearing it first is pretty much the unforgivable sin of audiophilia.

I'm going to suggest an attitude to hold from now on: If you have used Windows 10 and do not notice an improvement in sound over other operating systems, fine. I accept that. It's what's "supposed" to happen, after all. But if you have not used Windows 10, please do us all a favor and don't comment on how it sounds to you, me, or anyone else.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #105 of 131
I'm going to suggest an attitude to hold from now on: If you have used Windows 10 and do not notice an improvement in sound over other operating systems, fine. I accept that. It's what's "supposed" to happen, after all. But if you have not used Windows 10, please do us all a favor and don't comment on how it sounds to you, me, or anyone else.

I other words?   If you have not tried Windows 10?   

And you complain about it? ..... It will be curtains for you! 

​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back