Windows 10 has better sound quality than Windows 7! (On my computer; not necessarily yours.)
Nov 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #121 of 131
I cannot say anything about sound quality because that can be placebo, but I'm really impressed about the smoothness of W10,
It seems a lot faster and not because I haven't installed all the programs, I have a huge library and usually when I set up for the first time Foobar, and play something, always there is freezing, because Foobar is scanning for the files, at least in WXp and 7, never tried 8, but in Windows 10 everything seems playing fine, no pops or clicks, 
maybe Microsoft really did it good this time, 

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #122 of 131
The only differences I have noticed in windows 10 is that it can control endpoint volume and mute of more devices. Topologically the audio stack is the same since windows vista but recently W10 received a generic driver for universal usb audio (been for ages on osx and linux) so now it communicates natively better with some devices. One can expect a better polish from the generic driver than from some smaller audiophile companies that aren't as versed when it comes to developing for windows, specially when their devices already work natively on OSX and Linux. So yes, to some extent W10 is at least less glitchy and communicates better with usb dacs (which are becoming the norm around users that care about sound). This can translate to better sound quality, specially if you fiddle with the session and endpoint volumes.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #124 of 131
When I remote into my win 10 desktop, I can play foobar fine but if I close the remote client on the iPad (using the microsoft remote client) foobar gives me an error and stood playing . This only happens when the audio is routed to WASPI and not direct sound. Has anyone experienced/solved this?

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #125 of 131
Hi
yes , the first thing i have noticed it does play better
i have the amply connected to line out

w10 sounds better then 7 ,at least for my ears

i will update my audio card drivers , same driver and i will test them for a while

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #126 of 131
  The only differences I have noticed in windows 10 is that it can control endpoint volume and mute of more devices. Topologically the audio stack is the same since windows vista but recently W10 received a generic driver for universal usb audio (been for ages on osx and linux) so now it communicates natively better with some devices. One can expect a better polish from the generic driver than from some smaller audiophile companies that aren't as versed when it comes to developing for windows, specially when their devices already work natively on OSX and Linux. So yes, to some extent W10 is at least less glitchy and communicates better with usb dacs (which are becoming the norm around users that care about sound). This can translate to better sound quality, specially if you fiddle with the session and endpoint volumes.

another difference is that the native driver allows the use of wavert with usb dacs, whereas before it used wavecyclic. Wavert allows the client to interact directly with the driver without any kernel interference, so there should be an improvement in latency and sound quality. Similar to the way asio works.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #127 of 131
I think Windows 10 mixer is improved, makes for a better DJ lol. When playing many sources on W10 at same time it sounds better.

edit: windows 7 audio improved dramatically after installing updates. I guess that is considered "security update".
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #128 of 131
Agreed with OP.

It was first awesome thing that I noticed about Windows 10. Damn it sounds better, and yes it's very obvious to my ears. Wouldn't go back to Win 7 because of this.

"Noticed" with HD 800S / HD650.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #130 of 131
Its different for everyone I guess...

I just ran Fidelizer in the Purist mode. It did sound cleaner ... But, not better.

I run using optical to my DAC. Maybe, Fidelizer is more effective when playing from USB? With optical, I am avoiding a lot of internal noises running otherwise? So maybe that's why?

The best thing I did to improve the music was to change the op-amps in my Nuforce HAP 100 preamp to Muses 01's. That really changed everything for me.

Optical is always so clean sounding to me.
It is difficult for beginners i think........, Windows 10 performance is better than Windows 7, but from Windows 7 to Windows 10 , i think it is difficult to upgrade, the most primitive method is to reinstall the operating system on computer ,
But to give up the data and files on the computer,unless you know the Windows 10 password reset program ,

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #131 of 131
This thread's still going? :grin:

This year I got Windows Server 2016 Standard Core ($882 operating system) and AudiophileOptimizer (~$137 optimization software), which yielded a more significant sound quality upgrade than the differences between any of the normal Windows operating systems. (All using the same DAC, player, settings, etc.)

However, it's a pain to use, and the improvements are only significant with high-end DACs (which I don't use at the moment), so now I'm just back to Windows 7 for the most part. (I made a foolish mistake on Windows 10 that resulted in having to use the Windows 7 installation disc that came with my laptop.)

I think this hardcore stuff should only be bothered with if you have a really high-end system. Otherwise, just enjoy the music, man! :metal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back