Winamp vs Foobar2000 ?!
May 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #77 of 106
What is database gestion?  It does take a while to startup (portable edition), but I really don't have any other problems with it.  I do not think it has gapless playback, unless I just don't have it setup properly.  I just liked it because it was easy to setup, has an awesome tagging addin, doesn't depend on windows to read metadata (something happened at work, and I can't see any metadata on my media files anymore, tried lots of stuff I read about on the net to no avail, but have not called IT because I doubt they are interested in fixing something that has no effect on my work), and I really like the lyric master addin so I can see the lyrics to whatever is playing.  I guess I will have to try out foobar portable.  I may like it better.

May 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #79 of 106

Quote:
What is database gestion?  It does take a while to startup (portable edition), but I really don't have any other problems with it.  I do not think it has gapless playback, unless I just don't have it setup properly.  I just liked it because it was easy to setup, has an awesome tagging addin, doesn't depend on windows to read metadata (something happened at work, and I can't see any metadata on my media files anymore, tried lots of stuff I read about on the net to no avail, but have not called IT because I doubt they are interested in fixing something that has no effect on my work), and I really like the lyric master addin so I can see the lyrics to whatever is playing.  I guess I will have to try out foobar portable.  I may like it better.

I meant "database/library management". My Songbird crashes horribly with a 10000 flac files library, every time I enter a search query, it takes 10+ seconds to gets to the entry, when it doesn't crash before getting to the entry. And the tagger does not come close to fb2k's default tagger.

I don't really remember if Songbird does that but the mass tag option on fb2k is really sleek: for example, gracenote, freedb... have different tags like Beethoven, Ludwig v. Beethoven, Beethoven, Ludwig van.
You can type %composer% HAS beethoven OR %artist% HAS beethoven, get all the concerti, symphonies... by Beethoven and simply retag them Ludwing Van Beethoven. This takes less than 30 seconds.

fb2k is like itunes on mac, it runs ultra smoothly, never has problems, but has a lot more options than itunes.

May 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #80 of 106
@ yugiyao, the one I'm using is LyricMaster.

@ khaos974, ah I see.  I'm weeding through some stuff at work, and only have Songbird managing around 6000 mp3s (was more a while back, but I deleted a lot, could have been close to 10k).  I've had two crashes since I started using it (a couple months ago), which required a restart of the app.

The fb2k tagger does sound more powerful than Tagger in Songbird.

You've convinced me to give it a try.  Where is a good place to read about fb2k addins and configurations?

May 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #81 of 106
Personally, I only use the default interface.
+ facets (to mimic itunes search)
+ SoX (very good resampling)
+ playback statistics (maybe included in the default install, I don't remember)

Then I play with the layout editor and everything works.

There's an html file in the install folder that describes the query syntax.

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #82 of 106
Since the rent software upgrade Spotify is now is very tempting alternative.

90% of all music for free + listening to the occasional ad or £10/month at Ogg Vorbis q9 (320kbit) has always been attractive to consumers.

Now you can stream CD quality WAV & import your own music + rate tracks and add friends, link to your phone. farcebook (if that's what you are into).

It will be a very real  challenge to Winamp/Foobar. Particularly amount the technologically cba among us.

May 15, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #83 of 106
Funny how many people prefer Foobar for its superior sound quality, when the developing community behind it says it doesn't sound any bit better than other media players.
From Foobars official FAQ:

"Does Foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now."

May 15, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #84 of 106
Most? But who cares about that "most"? Did Piter P looked into ALL sources of all those players? Acpecially into WMP's, yeah
wink.gif

May 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #85 of 106
I actually agree with the Foobar developers. I can't hear any difference from Foobar and Windows Media Player, (unless they're set up to sound differently of course).
I suspect people who claim Foobar sounds much better are the kind of people who look down on WMP because it's the standard all "the sheeples" use, and they have a need to differentiate themselves.
Maybe my equipment or hearing just isn't good enough to hear the difference :wink:

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #87 of 106
Hah. Funny, I went from foobar to winamp. Winamp has the rescan music library for updates, which makes it leagues above foobar in my opinion. I can never find that option in foobar.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #88 of 106

Quote:
Hah. Funny, I went from foobar to winamp. Winamp has the rescan music library for updates, which makes it leagues above foobar in my opinion. I can never find that option in foobar.

Uhhh... The media library, which is more robust than Winamp's tacked on version, has an autoscanning update.  Took me 10 seconds to find it.

Also, that's a silly feature to drop the superior interface for...  But, to each there own.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #90 of 106

Quote:
Uhhh... The media library, which is more robust than Winamp's tacked on version, has an autoscanning update.  Took me 10 seconds to find it.

Also, that's a silly feature to drop the superior interface for...  But, to each there own.

LOL I didn't see that. I tried to use it, but it doesn't get the album artist tags right, which pissed me off for all of five minutes before I went back to Winamp. I'll try again. Where is the option that makes the music update its tags without me playing it? And I can't find an option to show the entire music library.

EDIT: Now it gets it right, but I had to retag all my music with BAND, ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST. Took a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back