willsenton r8 tube integrated/amp/headphone amp
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #32 of 110
When I plugged my headphones into my new Willsenton R8 I was surprised that the speakers were not muted. Is this normal? Is there a way to have them mute?
The headphone output is independent and not amplified by the tubes but a classic transistor type of average quality (which is not the case of the tubes). If you want to enjoy your tube output you have to use an adapter like the hifiman one

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #33 of 110
Thank you. But I’m still wondering if the speakers are supposed to be silenced when the headphones are plugged in. Typically, one reason to use headphones is so the listener can play music without disturbing everyone else in the house or the neighbours. That is not the case with my amp. The speakers are just as loud when the headphones are plugged in, so I can’t listen to music late in the evening when others have gone to bed.

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #35 of 110
Hi all,
Ive received this amp with stock KT88 tubes. Have been using it on most days for about 30 days, from my LP player to the speaker. Now ready to start rolling.

I am in an interest to go for EL34 and thinking of mullards. For the 6SN7 and 6SL7, which are drivers?

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #36 of 110
Hi all,
Ive received this amp with stock KT88 tubes. Have been using it on most days for about 30 days, from my LP player to the speaker. Now ready to start rolling.

I am in an interest to go for EL34 and thinking of mullards. For the 6SN7 and 6SL7, which are drivers?
I don't have this amp, yet, but most amps have the 6sn7 set as the driver.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #37 of 110
I don't have this amp, yet, but most amps have the 6sn7 set as the driver.
Thank you! Yes, i thibk its the 6SN7 as well, just that there are 3 of them. i dont think the middle one is a driver, isnt it?

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #39 of 110
Thank you! Yes, i thibk its the 6SN7 as well, just that there are 3 of them. i dont think the middle one is a driver, isnt it?
I have been using an R8/KT88 exclusively with headphones and it sounds spectacular with a Raphaelite B25 impedance match box (thank you Marlon for showing this to me). Based on what I read, the single 6SN7 in the middle is used for preamp stage power supply filtering. Voltage amplification uses the 6SL7 pair and the push stage uses the 6SN7 pair on the sides.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #40 of 110
Not sure, I'd go with the el34 intially to hear what that does for sound then do the 6sn7.
Thanks for the advise JKDJedi, i would do just that actually. A friend of mine bought the same amp with EL34 Psvane tubes from the supplier and i kind of like the signature. But ill try the mullard and listen, if need then ill go and find the same as his. Itll be a long journey ahead :)

I have been using an R8/KT88 exclusively with headphones and it sounds spectacular with a Raphaelite B25 impedance match box (thank you Marlon for showing this to me). Based on what I read, the single 6SN7 in the middle is used for preamp stage power supply filtering. Voltage amplification uses the 6SL7 pair and the push stage uses the 6SN7 pair on the sides.
That is a clear info mudnut. Thank u very much! My current r8 same as yours, but using kt88 stock from the supplier, i am quite happy with the sound, but there are some space for improvements. It is not there yet as per my ears :)

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #42 of 110
That's what I'd do too. Lots of EL34 out there and not crazy money either :)
Cheers. Mullards EL34 is on the way now :)

Getting me curious, why do u guys prefer EL34 over KT88? I found KT a bit bassy.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #43 of 110
Cheers. Mullards EL34 is on the way now :)

Getting me curious, why do u guys prefer EL34 over KT88? I found KT a bit bassy.
I suppose it depends on your taste in music. I've tried the R8 with EL34 and found it poor match (i.e. too soft) for the type of music I listen to - mainly EDM (melodic dubstep, future garage, some vocal trance, etc.) I am using stock KT88 tubes and they are much more punchy, musical, with a bigger soundstage. If I wanted a softer, more intimate presentation, I use it in TR mode. But YMMV and you may find that you absolutely prefer EL34.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #45 of 110

We don't, that's just my subjective preference, but I have nothing against KT88, KT120 or KT170 I look forward to hearing somewhere in the future. They're all solid but as per usual with tubes it all comes down to what one can do with them :wink:

As a manufacturer we're very happy with GE JAN 5670 for our needs and applications. Very difficult to beat for their price, it would take much more expensive WE396A to noticeably push sound quality higher.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back