Will you order canned food in a restaurant?
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never ate canned foods until I married for the first time.
biggrin.gif

I told the good woman, let me save us the inevitable messy divorce; I hate canned foods too, as i took her out to eat
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 75
That is strange. Was that in Canada? Is that fois gras? I've had fois gras in Paris and I have to admit it was specatular and I don't think it was from a can. I admit that the fois gras does not taste good in the U.S. in my experience. You really have to go to France to enjoy the real thing IMO.

Bon appetit!

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you eat any meat products?

it's all about animal husbandry and welfare.

Force feeding animals until they suffer health consequences as a result of the force feeding itself and enlarged livers amongst other problems is hardly on a par with consuming meat and meat products that have been correctly reared and slaughtered.

There is a very good moral and ethical basis for refusing to eat fois grais and finding the practice for its production questionable.

Is it ok that chickens are so densely packed in sheds and fed so intensely that their legs buckle and their skin burns from the urine soaked floors that they are forced to kneel on?

Is it ok for veal to be kept in crates unable to move or turn around?

You don't have to be a vegetarian to find certain animal husbandry and food production techniques to be totally disgusting and in need of change, you just have to be human(e).

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 75
Some things can well, some don't. Nothing wrong with canned tomatoes in a pasta sauce, for example. And I've got some Texas chili simmering that uses canned chipotles in adobo sauce, a perfectly viable and possibly irreplaceable product.

Granted, many things are canned that should not be. Peas, for example. Yuck!

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted, many things are canned that should not be. Peas, for example. Yuck!

Really? I like canned peas much more than frozen or fresh ones. Same thing with green beans as well. I am probably in the minority here, c'est la vie
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 75
I wouldn't eat out of a can at home, much less at a restaurant!
(exception - tablespoon of tomato paste to thicken my red sauce)

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I like canned peas much more than frozen or fresh ones. Same thing with green beans as well. I am probably in the minority here, c'est la vie
icon10.gif

I can't speak for others, but in rangen-world, you're a minority. Green beans were going to be my other example of things that don't can properly. But at least now I know who they're canning them for.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for others, but in rangen-world, you're a minority. Green beans were going to be my other example of things that don't can properly. But at least now I know who they're canning them for.

Heh, more for me
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's all about animal husbandry and welfare.

Force feeding animals until they suffer health consequences as a result of the force feeding itself and enlarged livers amongst other problems is hardly on a par with consuming meat and meat products that have been correctly reared and slaughtered.

There is a very good moral and ethical basis for refusing to eat fois grais and finding the practice for its production questionable.

Is it ok that chickens are so densely packed in sheds and fed so intensely that their legs buckle and their skin burns from the urine soaked floors that they are forced to kneel on?

Is it ok for veal to be kept in crates unable to move or turn around?

You don't have to be a vegetarian to find certain animal husbandry and food production techniques to be totally disgusting and in need of change, you just have to be human(e).

Not to be a jerk but when you get down to it.. not approving of farming techniques means nothing if you're still supporting the industry. People can care all they want about things but only action makes change.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 75
I thought this thread was about canned food in restaurants. Anyways, I totally would, because I like good food in all forms. Straight up. Ever had a good cured sardine or anchovy that didn't come from a can? I haven't.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a chance!
I expect food in a restaurant to be made from fresh ingredients and served on a plate.

It is fresh, they made it every morning and only 100 cans. If they all sold out, it will not be available until next day.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us maybe, I generally cook better than most restaurants and only go to high end places.
wink.gif

It is a very high end place, you will not get seated if you don't have a reservation and usually couple months in advance.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is strange. Was that in Canada? Is that fois gras? I've had fois gras in Paris and I have to admit it was specatular and I don't think it was from a can. I admit that the fois gras does not taste good in the U.S. in my experience. You really have to go to France to enjoy the real thing IMO.

Bon appetit!

Yes, it is in Montreal Canada. I agree in US fois gras is not good at all even in a very highly rated French restaurant. This is first time I really enjoy it outside of France.

This place is featured in Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain show.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #30 of 75
May I suggest the Crème de Petits Pois, prepared fresh (many years/months ago) in the kitchen's of Campbell's?
icon10.gif

fwait.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back