Will using an amp solve my problem?
Oct 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Recently I bought myself a pair of Jays s-Jays earphones because I needed a pair that could produce alot of Bass. Don't get me wrong, the s-Jays do produce quite alot of bass, but I still got a problem...

I'm using them on my iPod Touch 3G and I mostly have the Bass Booster eq on cuz without it they arent bassy enough for my type of music imo, but here comes the problem...
With this eq on the earphones make cracking sounds with some of my tracks... some tracks that have alot of bass are just perfect and sound great, but with some other the earphones sound cracking and distorted, which is rly annoying cuz now I cant listen properly to some of my favorite tunes because of those cracking noises all the time.

I was wondering if this problem could be solved by using an amp, like the FiiO E5? For example turning off the eq on my iPod (cuz I heard the iPod's equalizers are crap anyway) and switching the bass boost button on, on the FiiO E5. So I will still have enough bass for my needs.
Would this solve my problem of cracking sounds in my earphones?

I dont hope that this problem is caused only by my earphones cuz I had them delivered all out of the UK one week ago (I live in Holland) and they cost me around 60 euro's.

I rly hope any1 can help me with this, any other tips, hints or solutions are also most welcome ofcourse.

Thanks in advance ;D

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
I also have the same problem! I am using a pair of Razer Morays which I feel lack bass (for metal/rock music). Will an E3/E5 help? I am planning to buy new IEMs at the end of the year and so far the W3 looks pretty good. I am open to other suggestions regarding new IEMs. Thanks a lot!

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 6
If you only have $25 to budget, get an E5. If you have $70 get a cMoyBB v2.02 . You won't look back. Turn off the crappy eq now... it just muddies the musical waters.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Find an amp with bass boost. As far as noise in your current setup, sounds like your EQ is too high for full volume.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 6
This thread alarms me on several levels. While I dont find the max volume on my 6.5G Classic to be anywhere near that achievable from my Sony X series player, I also realised very quickly that the sound degrades a lot more quickly with an increase in volume on the iPod. The solution was pretty simple - I dont try to drive my larger cans from the iPod : if I cant get what I want from either the Grados or my IEMs, I go to the Sony. A small amp like the Fiio is unlikely to give you the sound you are seeking, IMO - happy to hear otherwise.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 6
I am going to respectfully disagree with estreeter. As I understand it, you want more bass. You have a couple of ways of getting there. One is new headphones (not what you want). The other is EQ (already done, and the iPod is a junk one, so stop it). The third is a warmer amp. This is what you need. The suggestions for the e5 (has bass boost and is warm in general) or the CMOY Bass boost version were wise, and you should get the appropriate one for your budget.

-Nkk

EDIT: Are you sure than cracking is not clipping? It would be expected with the EQ and the higher volume and the already bass centric mastering (possibly to the point of clipping. It is not unheard of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back