Will this PS4 audio setup work?
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PixelSkills

Head-Fier
Sennheiser G4me One
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWU8FTK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fiio e10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP3AMC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UG27DD7KR2HI

Syba stereo adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How I am thinking this would work is hook the Fiio e10 up to one usb port and have it output chat and game audio. Then hook up the mic to the syba stereo adapter for voice chat.

I am just hesitant because I am not sure if this will work or not? I really do not want to buy the astro mixamp as its just a bad product. Has anyone tried this setup or something similar?

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Only 2 issues I see is:

Will the PS4 even recognize the e10 when plugged into USB?? I havent read too much info on the PS4 being able to recognize USB DACs.

Next issue is the Syba adapter probably wont fit into the USB "channel" on the front of the PS4.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Update:

Since I just got a CEntrance DACmini CX I decided to see is the PS4 would recognize it through USB and be able to output "All Audio" through it.

Short answer, Yes you can output "All Audio" through USB on a PS4 to a DAC.

Sadly, it didnt sound nearly as good as when I had the DACmini hooked up to the PS4 via Optical.

The USB sound was harsh, thin, lifeless, and overall much worse than Optical. At this point, I dont know if its the PS4 or DACmini to blame.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 8
  Update:

Since I just got a CEntrance DACmini CX I decided to see is the PS4 would recognize it through USB and be able to output "All Audio" through it.

Sadly, it didnt sound nearly as good as when I had the DACmini hooked up to the PS4 via Optical.

The USB sound was harsh, thin, lifeless, and overall much worse than Optical. At this point, I dont know if its the PS4 or DACmini to blame.

Man there is like no options with the PS4 other then the Astro Mixamp and damnit I dont want that. The PS4 does not currently output chat and game audio through optical or I would just buy a damn optical DAC. Unfortunately it does not.. It does not seem like there is such a dac that can take 2 inputs such as usb and optical and mix them into one channel.. Im close to just buying a turtle beach stealth 400p and being done with it. may sound like crap but at least it will work.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 8
There are a couple of options for getting Chat through optical.

Use a USB microphone. I use a Blue Snowball, and chat sound is sent with other audio through HDMI or optical.

There is an method that some people are using a method outlines by leukoplast in another thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/690663/ps4-with-3-5mm-x2-type-headset/345
I have not tried this so cannot confirm if it still works.

Yup this does work, I figured it out on my own earlier today and it works like a charm.

I am using one of those USB audio devices plugged into my PS4 (that has 3.5mm mic and headphone ports) and it gets treated as a 'headset' by the PS4.  However just by doing a really simple step, I have managed to reproduce this 100% every time to where it will output chat audio over HDMI/optical to an AV receiver or whatever audio device we want to use.

Step 1: Turn on PS4 and connect up one of these USB audio devices (I assume a USB mic will also work the same way, though I haven't tried one yet).  Let the PS4 recognize it and assign it to your profile if it asks you.

Step 2: Plug in a pair of headphones to the controller (or any 3.5mm jack, even an empty adapter works, as long as it isn't the headset that comes with the PS4 or anything else that will get recognized as a mic).

Step 3: Unplug the headphones (or whatever 3.5mm connection you used) from the controller.

Step 4: Enjoy chat audio coming from your headphones while being able to use a mic off the USB!

Seriously it is really that simple, and I have been able to make this work 100% of the time.  Not sure why it works, but it does.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Update:

Did you check to see if the volume was all the way up on the ps4 itself?

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I had just purchased one of those HDMI Extractor switches to be able to get Digital out or RCA output on the PS4 that I could use through my headphone amp. It then hit me that my computer outputs it's audio through USB and that plugs into my DAC, could maybe the PS4 do this as well? After googling I pretty much landed in this thread. I hooked up a USB cable to my Modi DAC into my PS4. At first no sound UNTIL I went into the mini menu with the PS button and found that "All Audio" setting. It works!

The quality of the audio sounds similar to when I extracted the audio to RCA and plugged that straight into my amp. Anyone know what output "All Audio" is really doing as far as channels? 2.1? Surround? If I stick with the USB method, I won't even have to use that HDMI extractor box at all. I imagine only a handful of people know about the ability of using your own DAC on the PS4 for those of us who play with their headphones and have a DAC/Amp for them. Now to see if the Xbox One can do it as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back