will this kind of setup work? (solved)
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:

I wanna buy the iBasso D2+boa amp/dac, i dont know whether this kind of setup work, just like the apple 30 pin dock.

"welcome to head fi sorry about your wallet"

..umm i would say no. i have never heard of blackberry having digital output capabilities. if it did, i would know by know. first the firmware(OS) needs to support output of that, second the Micro USB port needs to support OTG(on the go) technology and an OS that supports it for it to send out a digital signal to your D2 which you then can use the DAC and amp of. 

Android doesn't even have full or good support for this right now and many phone's are not supported as OTG is expensive and not implemented in many phone's.

Apple LOD's don't even bypass the DAC. they only bypass the amp so you are still using the ipod or iphone's DAC(albeit high quality) and then an external amp of your choice. you can bypass the DAC on iDevices but it requires a lot of money. Look at the Cypher Labs Algo Rhythm solo and the Fostex HP1 they are $500+ and bypas the amp and DAC of your i device. the HP1 has an internal amp and seems to be favored by Jude more.

It seems Nokia has..kinda support for this as well, but it varies a lot with "spotty" support as well

any other questions..i think i got most of it :)

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 10
so, do you mean that if i wanna get the most quality of the sound then i need to get either two of the dac you mention? what about the 30pin dock to phone jack? not even close?

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
so, do you mean that if i wanna get the most quality of the sound then i need to get either two of the dac you mention? what about the 30pin dock to phone jack? not even close?

"the most" qualtity...well i don't know about most but yeah those are popular..do i want you to buy it..if you want. that's a big purcahse right there.

It depends on how "big" of an audiophile you are. the Apple dock connector through LOD is fine for 90% of people, most odn't need a fancy Wolfson DAC and are fine with the internal DAC (be it Wolfson or Cirrus Logic) already in there. the 30 pin only bypasses amp and heapdone jack and it's circuitry and is the best out there in terms of line out quality

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for your information, you did help me a lot.

i have some confusion about the "amp/dac" term. for example, iBasso D2 + Boa is an amp/dac. lets say i'm using LOD as input to the phone jack, then i only using the "amp" part, but how about the "dac" part of the amp? as you said it only bypass the internal amp of ipod but music stil decoded in the internal dac. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
thanks for your information, you did help me a lot.

i have some confusion about the "amp/dac" term. for example, iBasso D2 + Boa is an amp/dac. lets say i'm using LOD as input to the phone jack, then i only using the "amp" part, but how about the "dac" part of the amp? as you said it only bypass the internal amp of ipod but music stil decoded in the internal dac. 

Bolded part, im going to guess that when you say LOD you also mean Apple i device..and input to phone jack.. well ok when you plug an LOD into your i device and then plug the other end into your amp + DAC combo. you will not use that combo. as in. you will only be engaging(using) the amp section of the device, not the DAC. The DAC part will not activate for most devices unless it gets a (correct) digital signal AND enough power from the USB port to power it.

Other devices have Line out's like hifiman and those do the same thing except you just need an 3.5mm cable to 3.5mm male cable(average one) and those do the same thing, except are lesser quality as they introduce more noise and distortion than Apple's.

Unless you have an CLAS(cypher labs algorythmn solo; only bypases DAC, no amp)  or HP1(bypasses DAC and has amp, jude the founder of head fi likes this better)  with your iphone..that DAC combo for most people will be useless portably. that DAC will then serve as an external sound card. say you are traveling, you can easily than just take the BOA and plug it into your ocmputer and use it as an external sound card :) that's really the biggest use of amp/dac combo's.

Please note the ipad CAN use the DAC part of SOME SELECT combo's with the Apple Camera Connection Kit and the ipad only. However only if the DAC's USB power draw(differnt from battery power) is less than 100mah or 150 mah(i forgot) any more and it is STILL POSSIBLE but you would need a powered USB hub in between....and i don't need to tell you how annoying and bulky that just became.

Unless you have a lot of money AND WANT that DAC portably with your iphone(Android has..very little support and Nokia just got back out of a grave with limited support as well) an iphone/ipod LOD option out is the MOST COST EFFECTIVE way. the DAC;s in ipods and Apple products are actually pretty good and are sufficent for most people.

in case you need further...umm wording. Apple specific LOD and Line Out options on devices ONLY bypass the amp and heapdhone jack circuitry but the DAC of the portable device will still be used. Apple i devices and Sony Walkman's have an LOD. many audiophile devices either have one or have an high quality enough amp and section to be able to dual amp with good results. Sony Walkman's are not recommended, the DAC, and it's line out is not nearly even comparable to Apple's..it's just there.

Any specifics you want me to go over? My writing is sometimes confusing :) it's not troubling at all. Just ask, this isn't a very hard topic and I get it all the time. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
well, you deserve a pint of beer man, great explanation, glad have your help.

You're welcome 
beerchug.gif
. I guess I answered everything then which is great. Now you begin your journey on what you want. A Desktop set, portable amp, or portable amp/dac combo set. How and which device will you use and work with. Is their EMI(electromagnetic interference; many phone's do introduce EMI into your sound unless you turn on airplane mode) and line out or dual amp. I can help with this part with devices up to $250, anything over that(and if your amp/dac budget is over that) and like above, i can only give generics on how it will work and some generics...generics..... If you need any other help don't be afraid >_<. Post in the correct section of Head-Fi and you will be bound to get some awesome answers from helpful people. But also keep in mind that sadly the majority of knowing head-fiers stay in the member's lounge(includes me, i just went out today after 2 weeks to check out the real forums). However don't be discouraged many people that roam here will still be able to help. Now off you go sir, on your audiophile odyssey! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back