Will this cause a short?
Feb 2, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

seanohue

500+ Head-Fier
Since I screwed up my last CMoy, I want to do this one correctly. But this was a problem I worried about in the last amp and I cant get rid of it with this amp. Pic:
I'm concerned about the solder that is on the board around the holes. It wont come up with after any length of time with the iron and braid on it. It happends with both the 96% tin and 4% silver mix and with the rosin. My iron is 15W, perhaps a more powerful iron?

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 10
No that won't cause a short and is no cause for concern. Solder... why not just use a std. 63/37 (eutectic)? Should be easier to solder with...

Looks like you need a bit more solder around those jumpers, tho
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I wouldn't even attempt using silver solder with a 15watt iron. I have enough trouble using 60/40 with an iron that weak on capacitors or holco resistors which have big leads.

60/40 and indeed 63/37 or any other leadded derrivative has a much lower melting point, reflows more easily, and is all around easier to work with. Either grab some of that, or grab a 30watt iron. Then you won't have thoes troubles.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Agreed. You may as well just jab yourself with the hot iron a few times and call it a day. A not-hot-enough iron with ornery solder like that is just pain and frustration - if you just inflict some burns and go to bed, that saves the frustration.

fwiw, I wouldn't use a 15w iron for . . . anything.

25w should be the bare minimum. Xytronic's 25w iron can be had for all of $15 online - i used one (in GC Tools clothing) for something like 8 years before i bought a Weller WTCPT to replace it.

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Hey,

Some 15Watters are pretty good. For example, Antex 15W is really good.

This is because it has a CERAMIC heater instead of NiCr filaments. (If you can) You should pay a lot of attention to what kind of heater the iron has.

You could always obtain one of those new generation soldering stations. They have incredible performance (fast recovery etc) for orgaZmic soldering experience. I use a Weller WTCP and oh boy this old thing still gotta major kick. New ones musta be something!

Tomo

P.S. Metcal Rocks!

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 10
That iron isnt getting hot enough for that solder, 96/4 (Sn/Ag) is a complete pain in the ass to work with even with a good iron

Before jumping out for a new iron at least go buy some average 60/40 or 63/37 and have another go with that

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
fwiw, I wouldn't use a 15w iron for . . . anything.

Spoken like someone who's never had to solder 0605 resistors
icon10.gif
I'd be lost without my 13watt Goot Iron. Ceramic heater, the works. My big iron simply eats up the resistors
mad.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Quick question: I don't do many DIY projects very often but would it make sense to buy a station or just a iron? And what would be a practical station (for the things I do) to buy? O, and I just finished putting it together, and of course it doesnt work again
frown.gif
. I've got to be doing something stupid because that 2/2 attempts failed. Troubleshooting will come tommorrow.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Just an iron. My main iron is about 15 years old. No cermaic heater nothing fancy. It has a very blunt tip (actually concave now that i've burnt it out) It even puts out a little current through the tip
eek.gif

Unless you are going pro and will be soldering every day just grab any old generic 25watt iron. Even if you do go all the way and your soldering iron doesn't leave the desk I'd much sooner grab an expensive fixed iron like a Goot 43watt model or a nice weller then a soldering station. The ability to adjust the iron temperature is not all it's cracked up to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back