Will the Violectric V200 become obsolete for Sennheiser HD800 when using Benchmark DAC2 HGC?
May 9, 2014 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Martijn W

Head-Fier
Hello,

Currently I use an E-MU 0404 USB DAC with a Violectric V200 setup in combination with my HD800 headphone.

My current E-MU 0404 USB has only 1 balanced stereo output and I want to purchase another DAC (with multiple outputs) so I can power both my monitors and my Headphone without switching cables.

I find the Benchmark DAC2 HGC extremely expensive but it intriques me. Especially if the headphone output is just as good as the Violectric V200. Then I could sell the Violectric.

Could anyone confirm if the Benchmark DAC2 HGC can match the Sennheiser HD800 as good as the Violectric V200 does?

If I would purchase the benchmark DAC2 HGC and also keep the Violectric V200 then the V200 will be connected unbalanced (as the balanced outputs will be used for powering my monitors).

Keeping the Violectric V200 when also having a Benchmark DAC2 HGC seems excessive but I do need a great amp for the HD800 as I experienced fatique within an hour when I used the E-MU 0404 headphone output. I love the V200 in that aspect and I don't to end up dowgrading from it..

May 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 6
It's a matter of taste I think.
I am using the Benchmark DAC2 HGC with my HD800 and find it excellent.
I did spend a couple of hours listening to the Violectric V200 before getting the DAC2, however I was not able to compare them directly.
(note: I started looking for a headamp but ended up going for both dac and amp, and the DAC2 is excellent for both)
I suppose I should mention there is a click/noise when switching the DAC2 input selector from any digital source and over to the analogue inputs. From the DAC2 thread that seems to be an issue for some people.

May 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 6
I see no reason to use an external headphone amplifier with my DAC2. The built-in amplifier has excellent performance.

I suppose I should mention there is a click/noise when switching the DAC2 input selector from any digital source and over to the analogue inputs. From the DAC2 thread that seems to be an issue for some people.

This is a relay switching inside the DAC because the analog inputs are physically separated when they are not in use. There's no noise sent to the headphones or speakers.

May 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 6
Just try it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Are there any more findings on the Violectric V200 vs. the Benchmark DAC2 HGC as headphone amplifier for the Sennheiser HD800?

Is the V200 a superior headphone amplifier for the HD800 or is it not?

Thnx!

Martijn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back