Will the switch be too disappointing?
Mar 20, 2012 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mosshorn

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, my ramble begins here.

If you look in my profile, I have a decent desktop rig (HD600<Bottlehead Crack [Speedball]< Audioengine D1), and I really enjoy the sound. I absolutely love my Crack, and probably like it more since it was my first major build and whatnot. I also enjoy tube rolling very much.

My dilema begins here. With how many classes and labs I have, I'm not home nearly as much, and when I am home, my setup is pretty much limited to my room (still living with parents, and only one real window, which means things get hot.) I have been thinking of selling my setup and going for a simpler setup of custom IEMs, a semi-portable amp (O2 or something like that), either a mid-priced DAC [or keeping my D1], and saving anything else that might be left over.

I guess I need some opinions one way or another. I love the sound of my setup as it is, but fear that I'll be disappointed in my decision if I take the dive. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Er, first of all, you won't have anything left over, and if anything you'll be spending more, IMO... customs will run you a lot, and selling both the HD600 and the Crack will barely run you enough for a budget custom (with no artwork). The D1 is about as affordable as they get for a decent USB DAC/Amp.

I think you're better off keeping something you've accomplished yourself, rather than sell it off. The D1 is portable enough that you don't need to buy something else when you're listening off a laptop. As far as the HD600 is concerned, that can stand replacement. You can replace it with a pair of customs or a quality pair of higher-end universals, and if it doesn't agree with you, you can switch back. The Crack will be waiting if you ever switch back, or when you have the funds to buy an even better pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back