Will the Mackie HM-4 be an suitable AMP for the 250Ω beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO ?
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MarcoC978

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone.
I was told that I should not get the 32Ω beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, because I should not cheap out if I want good audio.

So, I must buy an AMP. Im afraid that my motherboard audio (ALC 1220) wont handle it, and I dont want to take risks.

How will the Mackie HM-4 handle the 250Ω beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO? From what I have read, the HM-4 had 47Ω output impedance. And a rule of thumb is that AMPs should have an 8th of the impedance of the headphones, right?
An 8th of 250Ω is 31.25Ω (Yeah, precise...)
But, will that be good, or Im getting this all wrong?

And the only AMP available on the shop Im buying from is the Mackie HM-4. Im in Romania, and you cannot find much stuff here. No big name shops, etc. And no Amazon.
(Plus, I can get the Mackie HM-4 for 20€.)

Please bear with me if this question is stupid, Im new to all this hi-fi audio stuff. :)

Thank you!

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 9
The 250-Ohm DT770 is fairly easy to drive.
While 47-Ohm output impedance is not desirable, it's not that big a deal for 250-Ohm headphones.

Any chance you could buy a used Sound Blaster Z sound card?

Do you already own the DT770 and have you tried it plugged directly into the motherboard?

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 9
The 250-Ohm DT770 is fairly easy to drive.
While 47-Ohm output impedance is not desirable, it's not that big a deal for 250-Ohm headphones.

Any chance you could buy a used Sound Blaster Z sound card?

Do you already own the DT770 and have you tried it plugged directly into the motherboard?

Thank you for the reply! Thought this post was already dead.
And no, the used market is awful here. ”THATS HOW MUCH MONEY I PAID WHEN I BOUGHT IT! I WANT THE EXACT SAME SUM!” and other bulls*** like that.

I do not yet have those, and I am afraid of pulling the trigger, I dont want to return something when I just bought it or not working like it should. Shipping and returns are absolutely s*** here. Like fine Virgin Mary once said: ”Screw this s***”.

And why is the 47Ω output impedance not desirable? Will it sound over-the-top loud, damage my headphones or sound scratchy?

Anyways, thank you for your reply. :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for the reply! Thought this post was already dead.
And no, the used market is awful here. ”THAT'S HOW MUCH MONEY I PAID WHEN I BOUGHT IT! I WANT THE EXACT SAME SUM!” and other bulls*** like that.
I do not yet have those, and I am afraid of pulling the trigger, I don't want to return something when I just bought it or not working like it should. Shipping and returns are absolutely s*** here. Like fine Virgin Mary once said: ”Screw this s***”.
And why is the 47Ω output impedance not desirable? Will it sound over-the-top loud, damage my headphones or sound scratchy?

Anyways, thank you for your reply. :)
Plugging a 250-Ohm headphone into a headphone jack that has a 47-Ohm output impedance will not damage the headphones or cause scratchy sound.
At most you would get a slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

I myself would not waste money on something like the Mackie HM-4.

I would think the 32-Ohm version of the DT770 might be a better choice.

What is your budget for buying headphones?

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Plugging a 250-Ohm headphone into a headphone jack that has a 47-Ohm output impedance will not damage the headphones or cause scratchy sound.
At most you would get a slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

I myself would not waste money on something like the Mackie HM-4.

I would think the 32-Ohm version of the DT770 might be a better choice.

What is your budget for buying headphones?

For so cheap, not getting the Mackie HM-4 would seem like a missed deal to me.
I have the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro.

And yes, I have tested both the 250Ω and the 32Ω versions. I did not experience hi-fi until then, and the 250Ω shocked me. So crispy, so detailed, so expensive.
My budget for an headset is 130€. Thats the price I can get the 250Ω beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 9
What did you plug the DT770s into to test them?

My guess is using the Mackie HM-4 would not be any better, then plugging headphones directly into your Gigabyte Aorus B450 motherboard's on-board audio.

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 9
What did you plug the DT770s into to test them?

My guess is using the Mackie HM-4 would not be any better, then plugging headphones directly into your Gigabyte Aorus B450 motherboard's on-board audio.

I tested them at the store, they paired the DT 770s with an AMP. But that one was way, WAY out of my budget.
I do not yet have the headphones, and I am afraid of getting them and not making them work properly.

How exactly will the Mackie HM-4 not help?
I have a friend that has the Sennheiser HD58X Jubille headphones, rated at 150Ω. He has the same audio codec like me, albeit on a different motherboard. He told me they run perfectly.
But 100Ω are a pretty big difference and I dont want to risk.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I tested them at the store, they paired the DT 770s with an AMP. But that one was way, WAY out of my budget.
I do not yet have the headphones, and I am afraid of getting them and not making them work properly.
How exactly will the Mackie HM-4 not help?
I have a friend that has the Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee headphones, rated at 150Ω. He has the same audio codec like me, albeit on a different motherboard. He told me they run perfectly.
But 100Ω are a pretty big difference and I don't want to risk.
The Ohm rating (voltage) is only one factor in how much power a headphone needs, there is also current & sensitivity factors.
My 62-Ohm AKG K7XX are slightly more power hungry then my 250-Ohm DT770
In reality the 150-Ohm HD58X (which i also own) and 250-Ohm DT770 need about the same amount of power (roughly), for a given volume.
Can you try the HD58X with your motherboard?

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 9
The Ohm rating (voltage) is only one factor in how much power a headphone needs, there is also current & sensitivity factors.
My 62-Ohm AKG K7XX are slightly more power hungry then my 250-Ohm DT770
In reality the 150-Ohm HD58X (which i also own) and 250-Ohm DT770 need about the same amount of power (roughly), for a given volume.
Can you try the HD58X with your motherboard?

Well, tested them.
And lo and behold, they run flawlessly.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back