Will the He500 be good for rock and metal.
Sep 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
I mainly listen to alternative, rock, metal, and pop rock. Will the HE500 be good fornthat or will the HE400 be better? i want to stay away from grado's becausenI dislike fatiguing highs.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 21
man, you're asking a lot of questions and creating a whole threads for this !! you have similar thread to this one ! just google anything you don't know and learn to do your research better. I think you should ask in the original appreciation thread of the HE-500, as for my opinion nothing will beat the HE-500 except for the Audeze LCD-2 but you might wanna consider the price difference.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 21
The HE-500 will be fine for your musical taste. However
the HE-400 will also do fantastic. You haven't really specified
what your preferences are. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
man, you're asking a lot of questions and creating a whole threads for this !! you have similar thread to this one ! just google anything you don't know and learn to do your research better. I think you should ask in the original appreciation thread of the HE-500, as for my opinion nothing will beat the HE-500 except for the Audeze LCD-2 but you might wanna consider the price difference.

I have been researching a lot, but I agree with you that I shouldn't create so much threads, won't happen again.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
The HE-500 will be fine for your musical taste. However
the HE-400 will also do fantastic. You haven't really specified
what your preferences are. 

The main thing I want to avoid is a laid back sound signature, however I also want a non-fatiguing headphone. I want a headphone that sounds alive and exciting but doesn't have harsh highs. I read that the he-500 is about as close as you can get to an exciting treble without being fatiguing. Something else I want to avoid is recessed mids, the mids in my ath-m50 were too recessed for me which made me turn up the volume, causing the treble to be too harsh. are the mids in the he500 recessed or are they at least balanced?

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
 i want to stay away from grado's because I dislike fatiguing highs.

confused_face_2.gif

Have you considered the Shure 1440? Exciting in the midrange where it matters, and the highs are clear but not bright.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
The main thing I want to avoid is a laid back sound signature, however I also want a non-fatiguing headphone. I want a headphone that sounds alive and exciting but doesn't have harsh highs. I read that the he-500 is about as close as you can get to an exciting treble without being fatiguing. Something else I want to avoid is recessed mids, the mids in my ath-m50 were too recessed for me which made me turn up the volume, causing the treble to be too harsh. are the mids in the he500 recessed or are they at least balanced?

Well, I find the HE-500 to be laid back, at least more than the 400 less than the LCD-2. The HE-500 has the better mids
of maybe both, though I'd probably argue with myself that the LCD's shine through more. They aren't recessed, so that won't be a worry.
The HE-500 is much more balanced than the HE-400 overall. But that might not be too important for you.

If not, the HE-400 is actually quite a good headphone and it does exceedingly well for the type of music you listen to.

I'd personally choose the HE-500 over the HE-400 without a second thought. Though the differences aren't too much,
we all have different priorities in preference. Either headphone will suit your music taste very well.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

Have you considered the Shure 1440? Exciting in the midrange where it matters, and the highs are clear but not bright.

well many people say otherwise that the highs are very bright. I also want to point out that I listen to medium-high volumes (not dangerously high) and a headphone might sound ok at lower volumes but harsh at higher volumes. Have you ever tried the srh1840? If so how does it compare with the srh1440 and the srh1840?

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Well, I find the HE-500 to be laid back, at least more than the 400 less than the LCD-2. The HE-500 has the better mids
of maybe both, though I'd probably argue with myself that the LCD's shine through more. They aren't recessed, so that won't be a worry.
The HE-500 is much more balanced than the HE-400 overall. But that might not be too important for you.

If not, the HE-400 is actually quite a good headphone and it does exceedingly well for the type of music you listen to.

I'd personally choose the HE-500 over the HE-400 without a second thought. Though the differences aren't too much,
we all have different priorities in preference. Either headphone will suit your music taste very well.

Is there a something specific about the he-500 that makes it laid back to you (maybe the treble is rolled off?)? Also, what volumes do you normally listen to? Both sound great, I'm leaning a bit towards the he500 though :)

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 21
Don't want harsh highs but want something good for rock/metal? Simple, get Alessandro MS-Pro's. 
They are modified Grado's specifically tuned to remove the brightness and harshness from the highs but still retain the Grado energy

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
Don't want harsh highs but want something good for rock/metal? Simple, get Alessandro MS-Pro's. 
They are modified Grado's specifically tuned to remove the brightness and harshness from the highs but still retain the Grado energy

Have you heard the he500? I was kind of curious to know what the he500 does better than the alessandro MS-pro and vice versa. I want the headphone to sound alive but I also want quality and a beautiful sound if you know what I mean.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Is there a something specific about the he-500 that makes it laid back to you (maybe the treble is rolled off?)? Also, what volumes do you normally listen to? Both sound great, I'm leaning a bit towards the he500 though :)

I find it really reminiscent of the HD-650. It's warm and detailed, but not fatiguing. But still It comes off to me as laid back.
I listen to moderate levels mostly, but it depends on the headphone and mood..and such...

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
I find it really reminiscent of the HD-650. It's warm and detailed, but not fatiguing. But still It comes off to me as laid back.
I listen to moderate levels mostly, but it depends on the headphone and mood..and such...

From what I've read, the reason that HD650 is laid back is because the mids and highs are overshadowed by other frequencies, does the same go to the he500, or is the sound itself just laid back? Do you think it will still sound laid back even at higher volumes? Im researching a bit on the srh1840 too, I want to see if its as goos as the he500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back