Will the GS Solo improve much with burning in? Owners help..
Dec 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vic1890

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using the aforesaid amp (without the PSU-1) with the senn 650. Seems like a lovely combo. I got it used, but the owner barely used it, stating a mere 50 hours of use, collectively for both the headphones and the amp.

I read at rock grotto that the older Make 3 solo really shone after a week's continuous burning, although it was affirmed the same for the GS solo, he didn't quite go in detail about it.

My concern is, will the Solo see a marked improvement (and likewise, the senn 650) after, say a week? and further improvement over the next 2 weeks?

It's just that, at the moment, even though it sounds lovely, it doesn't quite justify it's price tag yet. I'd just like some assurance on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the aforesaid amp (without the PSU-1) with the senn 650. Seems like a lovely combo. I got it used, but the owner barely used it, stating a mere 50 hours of use, collectively for both the headphones and the amp.

I read at rock grotto that the older Make 3 solo really shone after a week's continuous burning, although it was affirmed the same for the GS solo, he didn't quite go in detail about it.

My concern is, will the Solo see a marked improvement (and likewise, the senn 650) after, say a week? and further improvement over the next 2 weeks?

It's just that, at the moment, even though it sounds lovely, it doesn't quite justify it's price tag yet. I'd just like some assurance on this
smily_headphones1.gif

I would invest in the PSU-1, it will enable that amp to be the best it can be. I wouldnt expect a whole lot for burn in, especially if its got some hours on it already.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Burn in is a contentious issue. A couple pairs of headphones seemed to change for me, but I did not make any measurements and don't know for sure. I have not noticed much, if any, difference with other gear except for phono cartridges. But those physically wear and that's to be expected.

As for the amp, why don't you spend some time listening to it? A lot of the best gear seems unremarkable at first, then you begin to notice how it does everything right. Sometimes, it's more getting used to a piece of gear than waiting for it to break in.

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellow Mushroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amp burn in is a myth!

Not necessarily. AFAIK capacitors inside the amplifier do have a burn-in process.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which year was this Solo made in?

Also, while the Solo works well with a wide range of phones, I find that it works the most wonders with AKGs. It made me like the K601 I used to hate.
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure exactly - the previous owner told me he got it 18 months ago, but however, not from Graham directly. So it could be made before that even. Is there any way to check from the unit itself?

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would invest in the PSU-1, it will enable that amp to be the best it can be. I wouldnt expect a whole lot for burn in, especially if its got some hours on it already.

I would, but can't quite afford it at the moment - however, I'm thinking of upgrading my source first. If, once I upgrade my source, will the PSU-1 make a whole lot of difference?

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in is a contentious issue. A couple pairs of headphones seemed to change for me, but I did not make any measurements and don't know for sure. I have not noticed much, if any, difference with other gear except for phono cartridges. But those physically wear and that's to be expected.

As for the amp, why don't you spend some time listening to it? A lot of the best gear seems unremarkable at first, then you begin to notice how it does everything right. Sometimes, it's more getting used to a piece of gear than waiting for it to break in.

Yes - it does seem to be debated here. I suppose burn in only improves with some headphones - I remember my Ultrasones improved head and shoulders above from its original state after 200 hours. The Senns haven't reached that yet, but nor is it improving linearly, I don't expect it to magically turn great after one night. So we'll have to see.

Ah, but I am spending time listening to it - getting in its nuances - I'm only burning it whenever it's not in use, that's all - but really, as you say, I wonder if sometimes, if it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily. AFAIK capacitors inside the amplifier do have a burn-in process.

Hehe, now, for my sake, I do hope you're right!

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 19
If you have a Green Solo it uses the AD823 op-amp. I had one and felt that it needed a lot of burn-in. Over 350 hours but closer to 500 hours.

It is easy to find if you have a Green Solo which were made in early summer 2007. These were tweaked from the 2007 Solo by Graham in his shop to use a green switching power supply. Green because they use much less electricity when plugged and the amp not in use. Anyways if you open up the amp you will see on the bottom of the board some by-passes made using individual wires.

If you want pictures PM me with your email address.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 19
my green solo improved a lot after 1 week long all time burn in
it becomes more kind
before the burn in, i couldn't listen it with 701/650 for even 1 hour, otherwise i feel irritative
but now i can sit with listening it for 2 or 3 hours before i get tired

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would, but can't quite afford it at the moment - however, I'm thinking of upgrading my source first. If, once I upgrade my source, will the PSU-1 make a whole lot of difference?

Sounds like a good plan.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

... will the PSU-1 make a whole lot of difference? ...

To me it did, however this is a system and for the PSU1 to improve the sound out of the Solo SRG you need a source that is cabable of producing high quality input into the amp. You also need a resolving headphone capable of reproducing the music, which you would have w/ the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back