Will the fiio e17 drive the AKG k702 satisfactorily?
Nov 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidsh

Headphoneus Supremus
My question is simple (look at title)
smily_headphones1.gif

I have just bought the AKG k702, which is my first can
biggrin.gif
. The best i can do so far is a fiio e17. Ofc i can return the AKG, and possibly i will if they aren't for me, but only time will tell.  Maybe in favor of the HD 650, which i also auditioned today. 
Therefore also the question: Will the e17 drive the HD650 properly?

Also, what can you suggest me, if i say i really like my etymotic hf5, just want something a bit more dynamic and with better extension in both lows and highs (kno this might be the recipe of a VERY expensive headphone), but within a decent price range.
I am somewhat considering the etymotic er4p if i can't find the right cans for me, because i have learned that you get so much sound for the money with etymotic, seriously.

I mainly listen to different metal sub-genres (mostly heavy and doom) as long as the sound doesn't seem thrashy and blurred. Also i listen to a bit of jazz, a bit of alternative (like metal/rock but still neither of those), and very little classical.

Mainly i like clarity and neutrality, and the AKG does a fairly decent job, just not sure if i like the quite exaggerated highs, but hopefully they'll burn in over time (?)

Personally i like the HD650, but at the moment of auditioning i fell for the clarity and soundstage of the AKG's compared to the warmer and more comfortable sound of the HD650.

Thank you...

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I use an E17 with a Q701 which is pretty much the same thing, and the combination works well. The HD650 will definitely be the harder headphone to power.  

Also, the K702 should sound more similar to the Etymotics than the HD650. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I use an E17 with a Q701 which is pretty much the same thing, and the combination works well. The HD650 will definitely be the harder headphone to power.  

I think the e17 is great patch for phones that could benefit from taming the high-end a bit. The Fiio is definitely a warmer amp/dac. You could couple with with the E09K down the road, but you may not get the wow you might be expecting. Fiio as a warm setup should synergize well with the AKG. Also found that using the e17 bass boost gives it nice extension in the slow end without getting the mids sloppy. You got options :)  The HD650 on the otherhand, after a few days it has really opened up and improved in every way.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Q701 is like an HF5 with better treble and cleaner bass. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Q701 sounds pretty much exactly like the Vsonic GR01, which means it will sound like all the TWFK IEM's. The GR01 is an HF5, but better all around.
Quote:
Q701 is like an HF5 with better treble and cleaner bass. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Look, the hf5 is something rather special. It is very neutral and therefore it might not seem as something special. What it misses is extension in the highs and lows. 
But on the other hand it is very accurate, even better than the k702 IMO if you are picking for microdetail.

The k702 is rather more similar to the etymotic, that is true, but the almost shrill highs of the k702, will they be less significant after a burn-in? Just saying, the etymotic has also got more mid-bass, especially with the e17. Just get the fit right 
etysmile.gif

Anyways, is it 'underkill' only using a fiio e17 with the hd650, the k702 and similar?

And IMO the e17 seems to easier drive the hd650 despite if the higher impedance. This i say in relation to the sound signature, because i think the k702 would benefit more from proper amping to my logic. With both the hd650 and the k702 i would never go above 30/60 with my amp, so the headroom should be quite large for the dynamic range to unfold, so to say.

Also can someone shortly summarise the q701 vs. the k702,  what is the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back