Will 'old' iPod classic get a firmware update?
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 29
They're getting a firmware for the genius feature. I was hoping they'd update the cover art view like in the new nano but I guess that'd have to wait 'till 7G.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 29
12? Hardly. How old are you? My 14 yr old daughter uses "seriously" a lot so just wondering.

Trolling? Hardly. It's a valid observation backed up by the recent history of both companies. The fact that it bothers you does not make it trolling.

I am in the process of deciding on a large capacity player and the fact that the Zune will not get left behind on future updates is a major factor for me. If Apple is abandoning their ridiculous stance on updates and decides to retro older players (something that they have historically NOT done) then that tips the scale back towards iPod.
Not enough for me to choose them yet but they are back in the game at least.
Perhaps iPod fans should thank MS for this shift in policy?
This is why open competition is such a good thing in the marketplace.
If iPod and Zune are trying to outdo each other we all win.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 29
apple has updated old players with new features. the 5G ipods got the updates when the 5.5G ipods were released.

the primary reason apple can't update like the zune is that microsoft is sticking with the same screen orientation and resolution on all their devices. apple has been changing screen sizes, resolutions, and orientations so it is not nearly as easy to update the older models. to update the older models, apple would need to write a completely separate new firmware. for the zune, they just need to keep the hardware the same and then they can release one new firmware that will work on all the players.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 29
Moonshine, the way you came across sounded juvenile. Read the previous posts then read yours..

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They won't for one simple reason: it would be copying Microsoft.
Zune owners will get a free upgrade, just like they did with 2.5, when 3.0 is released soon.

The classic is basically the same hardware so it makes sense they'd update the firmware. Saying MS was first is completely weak argument. There's a lot of trugh to what zip22 said. It may piss off some people but their practice isn't new. I commend MS on their approach. It has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. It's the same with Apple.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 29
Sep 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #22 of 29
Oh well.. That's too bad. Thanks for the links. Zune wins I guess?
rolleyes.gif

Bad Apple! Bad!! Shame on you. You loose.
tongue.gif

Apple has in the past kept quiet about updates only to add new features when least expected. It's not a good policy but they don't like driving expectation when it's low priority for them. Remember the AirPort Express? Yep, it sucks.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 29
Apple would never seeds a new firmware to add 'features' to its previous ipod models, that's for sure!
It's just Apple's policy.
so Don't expect 80G classic would ever be a Genius.

BTW, is there a SQ improvement of the 120gig one over the 80 gig one?
Anyone heard those?

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 29
Update: We just spoke with Apple, and it appears people are getting all kinds of facts wrong. The iPod classic will not be getting an update with Genius functions. Don't ask us why... it just ain't.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they have updated old models in the past, Jerry

Other than for the 1G iPhone and Touch, has Apple ever added features from a new product to a discontinued one?

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #28 of 29
Thanks for the reply. The last "classic" iPod I bought was a 4G, so I never got to benefit from that. I did get to benefit from the updated Touch firmware, however.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 29
I don't care for the "Genius" function or any other new features, I just want the random stops and lags to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back