Will 'old' iPod classic get a firmware update?
Sep 9, 2008 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Now that the new iPods are out and the classic has new firmware with the 'Genius' playlist feature... Does anyone know if the older 80GB classics will get a firmware update to make them the same as the new models?

I don't need more than 80GB in an iPod classic and am thinking of picking one up second hand. Would be great if the new Genius playlist could be used on the unit like the new ones.

Thanks
Paul

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 29
ahahah! nice joke.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahahah! nice joke.

I see
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see why not. It's a feature that doesn't depend on hardware so they should be able to do it.

I guess there is a difference between 'SHOULD be able to do it' and 'WOULD do it'.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 29
I bet they will. The hardware changes are so minor. It could cause support complications for them if they had two different versions when it really isn't needed.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet they will. The hardware changes are so minor. It could cause support complications for them if they had two different versions when it really isn't needed.

You got a point there. Most "normal" people who have iPods are so technology-illiterate that they'll be confuzzled by a prompt asking them "What Classic do you have? 80GB, 120GB, or 160GB?"

To give an almost-unrelated example, every time people ask how much hard drive space (or memory sometimes) I have on my iPod, and I tell them, 100% of the time their response is: "So how many songs that that equal?" Bugs the HECK out of me!
angry_face.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 29
I wouldn't count on Apple to do ANYTHING to improve an iPod they've already sold to you. For years there were known annoyances with the 3G and 4G which were corrected/improved when the 4G color came out. These included resetting the "clicker" setting every time the iPod went into deep sleep, and lack of scrolling long song titles on the song menu. Did they go back and fix the older models? Hell, no.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 29
Fro what i've read about the 'Genius' function, this sound pretty much like MusicIP thats been around for years (I.e. it scans your library and then takes a 'seed' song and makes a playlist up from that one song, balancing tempo, style etc - also found in Pandora) and my experience is that you might as well have just stuck with shuffle. Very rarely has its choice of playlist songs based upon the seed made much sense.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 29
BigTony, I haven't tried MusicIP but it all comes down to implementation and execution. So, your experience doesn't necessarily apply here.

And TheMarchingMule, that's so true. I have an old friend who's very smart. He's a doctor who specializes in rheumatoid arthritis but when it comes to technology, it's like his mind goes out the window. The most basic things we take for granted, he needs hand holding.

I can imagine him on the phone.. "Yes, I have the iPod Classic.." Re: "Which one.?.!" ... "Which what.?" .. "The iPod Classic..", "Yes, but which Classic?".. "The iPod.." hehe

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 29
I should have bet money on that one since some of you were so sure they wouldn't.
biggrin.gif

I'm curious about the "Sarbanes-Oxley accounting requirements". The new firmware doesn't have any major new features so it may not apply. Any lawyers around here?

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 29
I should probably clearup all the miscellanous files on my ipod and buy an external HDD; to open up space in my 80g 5.5th generation (the 'video' not 'classic').

They have done firmware updates for other generations before. Like the nanos use to be the only ipod that could detect if you had removed your headphones (which then would pause your music). My ipod video used to continue playing its music even if I pulled out my headphones; but with hte current firmwares it'll pause if I decide to pull out my headphones (instead of unlocking the hold switch and pausing it with the buttons; then replacing the hold switch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back