Will my SENNHEISER PX 100-ii get damaged if used with the PC? Are they already damaged?
May 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ROABOT

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, i'm new to posting in this great forums, have been reading for a while and based part of my decisions about headphones from what I read here. I know very little about technical details about this stuff so sorry if my question is dumb, and also if my engligh is not the best.

Well, i just bought the sennheiser's PX-100-ii, primarily for use while i'm working on the PC at the office, and intended to use also with my mobile phone but they don't sound too great whit my cheap mobile, i suppose because it doesn't have enough power so am using it mostly in the PC where they sound reeaaally good and with much more volume.

The thing is, the day after i bought them was listening to some music and in some tracks i noticed that theres a slight "tssssss" in the right side, gave it no much importance since it was only a few tracks where i noticed it and thought it may be caused by low bitrate audio or something like that, but today with more attention i realize its really there, even with good quality audio files. Did some tests and is specially noticeable at frequencys around 250hz, where isolating each side, the left ear cup sound perfect, but in the right is pretty evident that "tsssss" (don't know how to describe it) outside of that frequencys it seems to work with no problems.

My question is; Is there any posibility of damaging the headphones using them directly on the PC since they are designed for portable players? is it possible that the sound in the right cup was caused by this? Are they really damaged or there's certain "admissible error" since this are not high end headphones? (like the dead pixels in LCD's :p)

I ask this silly questions since i bought the headphones from a reseller over the internet, and it really bothers me that,  if they respect my warranty (if there's real damage) it would take a lot of time to get them back, and the costs of shipping would be totally on my part.

Thanks for reading and for your kind answers :)

May 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Do you have anything else to plug the headphones into, perhaps an mp3 player? Plugging the PX100II into your pc won't damage it unless you gave it way too much volume(ie plugged it into the speaker output then blasted it). Your pc might not have such good sound quality. Most PCs have built in sound that is not so good.

May 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 3
PC cannot damage headphones, the headphone out is pretty limited in terms of Vrms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back