Will my ipod sound better if I use this.
Dec 2, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 13
No, all it is is an adapter so your line out can be USB too.

Example? it's like this except you also get a USB jack:

maledock.jpg

Basically, you can use a mini-mini cable to connect to an amp or whatever, or a USB cable to connect to a computer. Since it's using the line out, there is no volume adjustment.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Both of the previous posters have missed highlighting the most crucial point, which is that using the pocketdock, you have to connect it up to an amplifier, not directly to your headphones. When using an amp, the quality from the lineout will be cleaner (better) than direct from the headphone jack, but you do need an amplifier.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of the previous posters have missed highlighting the most crucial point

No is not. Plus oicdn did mention the amp part albeit not as detailed as u did.

Priority -

Good phones.
Good source/sampling rate.
THEN
start worrying whether amp/no amp.

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, technically, you could use it straight to phones if there is a volume attenuator in line. Like some KSC-75's have the volume attenuator on it and you could listen straight from that little device if you wanted to. I did it plenty of times form my Indigo DJ line-out, or PCDP line-out.

But for the most part, you will need an amp.

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 13
The point is being able to jack your iPod directly into a USB DAC.

Whether you need an amp depends on the sensitivity of your headphones.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is being able to jack your iPod directly into a USB DAC.

Whether you need an amp depends on the sensitivity of your headphones.

Wait, so you could use this to plug into say, a pico usb dac amp?

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
I have seen Ipod "ipod dock to mini cables" from Qables. Is the quality on this Pocketdock not comparable?

Is a hell of a lot cheaper compared to cables from quables.... Or is the main difference that this has "just" Line Out", not the last part of the cable...so you have directly line in to your amp?

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No. All this does is let you use a standard USB cable with your computer instead of the cable that came with your iPod. This is NOT a digital output that would allow you to connect the iPod to a USB DAC.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, but it'd be pointless since you're using the DAC on the iPod. The line out on the ipod just bypasses the internal amp...it still uses the internal DAC.

The only time this thing is useful is to connect it to your computer or home source. And as an all in one solution. If you didn't have an iPod dock cable (dock-Mini), you could use this, and use a mini-mini cable.

There's one for sale in the FS forums.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but it'd be pointless since you're using the DAC on the iPod. The line out on the ipod just bypasses the internal amp...it still uses the internal DAC.

The only time this thing is useful is to connect it to your computer or home source. And as an all in one solution. If you didn't have an iPod dock cable (dock-Mini), you could use this, and use a mini-mini cable.

There's one for sale in the FS forums.

Yeah, thats what I thought, so what's Uncle Erik talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back