Will I see a big difference with a DAC/amp with HD555's on my laptop?
Feb 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fandangoya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I've decided recently that I would like to slowly transition to HD 650's. They are some of the best headphones, right? And I love Sennheiser.

To do this, I'll first need a dedicated DAC and dedicated amp, right? I was thinking of getting the DAC, then the amp, and finally saving up for the HD 650's.

So, what would be a good starter DAC that would eventually be good enough for the HD 650's? Musiland Monitor 02 US? I read a lot of good reviews and at $135....the price is nice. Any recommendations for an amp then?

I run the 650s without any dedicated DAC, or amp, from a (Dell D410 and Sansa Fuze) and I am extremely satisfied with the sound quality. I cant listen to them at max volume frm my laptop, as it is simply too loud. I normally listen at about 20% volume.

It makes sense to me, to spend the money first on the thing that transfers the signals into noise. I believe this is where it makes sense to invest, and I think this area depreciates less also. If you decide you want to continue you can always buy things to improve the thing that creates the signal i.e. amps, dacs etc., afterwards.

For comfort alone I think the 650s are worth the investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back