Will I see a big difference with a DAC/amp with HD555's on my laptop?
Feb 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fandangoya

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of HD555's for a while, and I generally use my laptop (Dell Latitude D820) to play music on them.

How much would the HD555's benefit from getting a DAC or amp? Which do I need? Both? I'm very new to audio equipment, so bare with me....what exactly is the difference between them?

Would anything serve me well in the $100 range? And how big of a difference in quality are we talking here? To be honest, things sound fine to me right now, but if the HD555's have a lot more potential...I'd love to find it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 16
Depending on the quality of the DAC, you should notice an improvment in sound quality.
An amplifier is really not required for those headphones. External DAC's can be pricey and I am not sure you would get anything that woudl be noticably better for $100...
Could be wrong, perhaps another has some suggestions for you.

A DAC, takes digital audio information from your system and converts it to analog signals for your headphones. The amplifier just boost the analog output signal.
very simple explanation but it is accurate.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 16
There isn't much potential in HD555 - I own the HD595 - good phone but does not cut it with the big boys. Save the hundred for a good night out or a perhaps HD600 or 650 - then you're in deep. Good night out, my opinion.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 16
HD555 is resolving enough to pick out differences with a bad and a good source. For $100 I cannot think of a better DAC than the uDac. Onboard audio sounds like a mess to me, I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference. I find my onboard realtek makes the soundstage pretty much non existent compared to a good DAC. It is worthwhile to get a DAC.

Amazon.com: NuForce Icon uDAC: Electronics

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't much potential in HD555 - I own the HD595 - good phone but does not cut it with the big boys. Save the hundred for a good night out or a perhaps HD600 or 650 - then you're in deep. Good night out, my opinion.

Yes. I've decided recently that I would like to slowly transition to HD 650's. They are some of the best headphones, right? And I love Sennheiser.

To do this, I'll first need a dedicated DAC and dedicated amp, right? I was thinking of getting the DAC, then the amp, and finally saving up for the HD 650's.

So, what would be a good starter DAC that would eventually be good enough for the HD 650's? Musiland Monitor 02 US? I read a lot of good reviews and at $135....the price is nice. Any recommendations for an amp then?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 16
I say save up for 650 and then worry about the rest later.

you buy all these little uprgades now and be dissappointed at how little difference they make. you then get 650 and realise better amps and sources are even better - next round of upgrades.

you buy 650 first - plug into an entry level receiver head out - immediately you understand the concept of high end audio - you receive better in sight - you make wiser purchases based on what you hear. Not what anyone tells you.

I have a few high end phones and the 650 is my favorite reference. Last weekend I auditioned Stax omega 2 with matching valve amp and also HD800 with black cube linear. In both instances the source wasn't as good as mine. Needless to say I still prefer my combo of 650, Cayin HA1A tube amp and Bryston DAC.

My recommendations revolve around a 650 and a entry level yamaha surround sound receiver. This combination started my infatuation with this phone.

Lets look at the benefits of an entry level dolby digital surround receiver.
1. built in 24/192 dacs - route any digital source Hi Rez even - get away from onbard sound.
2. More than sufficient to drive any headphone as this is tapped from speaker output
3. Dolby surround decoding - hook up cheap bookshelves and enjoy xbox 360 FPS like never before. hear those aliens creeping behind you...BOO!
4. With Yamaha Silent Cinema - enjoy same creepy experience with headphones...not to mention latest block buster movies.
5. Direct stereo mode for improved 2 channel playback.

Plus much much more. You can squeeze the budget for one of these - I don't see the point in these cheaper amps and dacs as when you total these up, you buy a receiver that should at least equall the quality with additional useful necessaties. Only possibly via economies of scale or manufacturing efficiency via volume.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

I say save up for 650 and then worry about the rest later.

you buy all these little uprgades now and be dissappointed at how little difference they make. you then get 650 and realise better amps and sources are even better - next round of upgrades.

you buy 650 first - plug into an entry level receiver head out - immediately you understand the concept of high end audio - you receive better in sight - you make wiser purchases based on what you hear. Not what anyone tells you.

I have a few high end phones and the 650 is my favorite reference. Last weekend I auditioned Stax omega 2 with matching valve amp and also HD800 with black cube linear. In both instances the source wasn't as good as mine. Needless to say I still prefer my combo of 650, Cayin HA1A tube amp and Bryston DAC.

My recommendations revolve around a 650 and a entry level yamaha surround sound receiver. This combination started my infatuation with this phone.

I definitely see your point...but won't I be really disappointed when I get the HD650's and plug them into my really crappy onboard sound with no amp?

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 16
For $100 just get a uDAC. Those cans aren't resolving enough for that to be a bad choice, and it will be an improvement over laptop sound. You can also probably sell it easily at some point when you want to upgrade.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 16
I know a lot of people say an amp isn't necessary to enjoy the 555s, but I had my 555s for 4 or 5 years and always thought they were pretty awesome. I got an integrated amplifier over the summer and plugged them in, and they sounded way better. It is definitely noticeable. I prefer them to my 225s a lot of the time, though I didn't before they were amped.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a lot of people say an amp isn't necessary to enjoy the 555s, but I had my 555s for 4 or 5 years and always thought they were pretty awesome. I got an integrated amplifier over the summer and plugged them in, and they sounded way better. It is definitely noticeable. I prefer them to my 225s a lot of the time, though I didn't before they were amped.

x2

As far as jumping into some "better" 'phones, I understand sometimes it's tough saving up that much money over time. Cost-benefit over time -vs- immediate benefit weighs heavily on one's Head-Fi-addled brain.
wink_face.gif

When I upgraded my soundcard + added a decent vintage preamp with a good headphone stage (NAD 1020B) my 555's really sat up and took notice. This by far *can* be the most cost-effective solution if you're a good e-bay or craigslist hound.

In your price range you might consider an outboard dac that has a decent integrated 'phone stage plus the ability to send a line out to a better headphone amp later. FWIH the E-Mu 0202 is pretty good. Along the same lines I'd suggest the 0404, but at that price point you're probably better off looking for a used HD 580/600/650.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 16
OK, tough call.

When I amp the 595 the low end bass and midrange does improve in a very positive and noticeable way.

On the other hand - I prefer the sound of the 650 plugged into an I pod with no amp over the 595 - but the volume is at max for the level to be adequate. My netbook realtek onboard head out has more drive than the I Pod - I definately enjoy the 650 into the netbook more than 595 - the drive is more than loud enough.

I will always prefer the "sound signature" of the 650 (warm and smooth) over the 595 (neutral but grainy) in any hole I care to stick it in.

This is my preference - I have no experience with the U-dac - at 100 bucks (loose change in audio terms), I am sure you cant go wrong there either.

OKAY I just did some research this is what you buy:

Yamaha RXV365 - 100 watts RMS X5, Hi res 192/24 dac - drives all headphones with Dolby Digital, DTS (digital surround DAC/Headphone amp)

$US200!!!!! - this will improve your 555. Google it - I am drooling over the specs.

Regards.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

OK, tough call.

When I amp the 595 the low end bass and midrange does improve in a very positive and noticeable way.

On the other hand - I prefer the sound of the 650 plugged into an I pod with no amp over the 595 - but the volume is at max for the level to be adequate. My netbook realtek onboard head out has more drive than the I Pod - I definately enjoy the 650 into the netbook more than 595 - the drive is more than loud enough.

I will always prefer the "sound signature" of the 650 (warm and smooth) over the 595 (neutral but grainy) in any hole I care to stick it in.

This is my preference - I have no experience with the U-dac - at 100 bucks (loose change in audio terms), I am sure you cant go wrong there either.

OKAY I just did some research this is what you buy:

Yamaha RXV365 - 100 watts RMS X5, Hi res 192/24 dac - drives all headphones with Dolby Digital, DTS (digital surround DAC/Headphone amp)

$US200!!!!! - this will improve your 555. Google it - I am drooling over the specs.

Regards.

An AV receiver for his laptop?
confused.gif

Besides, he said his budget was $100. I got ripped to shreds in a thread for suggesting the superior DAC-Extasy over the uDAC when the person hadn't even specified a budget. I don't know where those people are now when it's something other than a hotaudio product, but he specified that his budget was $100.

Just get the uDAC. It has a DAC whose sound signature will suit the 555s, and a marginal built-in amp, 2v I think it is, to add a little more power to the drivers. That will bring the biggest improvement for the money.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fandangoya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely thinking about a uDac....if I eventually got HD650's, could I use them with the uDAC if I also got a dedicated amp?

Yes. uDAC RCA outs to an amps RCA ins.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fandangoya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I've decided recently that I would like to slowly transition to HD 650's. They are some of the best headphones, right? And I love Sennheiser.

To do this, I'll first need a dedicated DAC and dedicated amp, right? I was thinking of getting the DAC, then the amp, and finally saving up for the HD 650's.

So, what would be a good starter DAC that would eventually be good enough for the HD 650's? Musiland Monitor 02 US? I read a lot of good reviews and at $135....the price is nice. Any recommendations for an amp then?

Going by this post I thought by the time you bought an amp as well you would have truly gone past the 100 dollar budget.

If you prefer the purist approach - get the udac. I don't feel the 555 is a purist headphbone - I feel you should get a general product to match the general 555 - and worry about purist products when you have attained the 650. A 100 dollar dac will not allow you to hear the absolute maximum quality that a 650 is ultimately capable of. You are destined to upgrade this Udac should you purchase it.

I told you to save your money - you wanted to spend it - I already know how you are.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back