will i need an amp with the beyerdynamics dt-770 80 ohm?
Feb 17, 2007 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

legbone

100+ Head-Fier
i have a zune, pioneer se-dir800c unit, and a toshiba hd-a1. will i need an amplifier to enjoy these phones? i am considering a hornet. i figure this will at least give me volume control up close for the pioneer unit (i have a pair of sennheiser hd-595's that i currently use).

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 5
The 770/80 will be listenable from the Zune I'll guess but you won't get nearly what they can deliver, especially in the bass department. I have a modded 770 and it doesn't sound very good unamped from either Zen Vision:M or iPod.

I don't know much about the Pioneer wireless thing. The Toshiba is a HD DVD player? -an interesting combo that would be.

The Hornet is a sure bet for portable. If this is only for stationary use in home you might consider other amps that power from AC only for that price.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 5
If you have newb ears to higher-end audio, then nah, you wouldn't need an amp for the dt770/80. IF however, you're not new to higher-end audio, and like listening to music at extremely loud volumes, then yea, you might need one=]

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 5
The DT770 is very power- and amp-hungry. IMO a really silly idea to plug it into a portable. You also don't use a 1100ccm Daihatsu as a motorhome tractor...
rolleyes.gif

BTW, I don't recommend an DT770 at all -see my sig- unless you are are 100% ambient- and downbeat listener. Everything else just sounds silly (even amped).

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 5
when driving the dt770 from a portable source, an amp is neccesary to get them to a reasonable listening level. unless you like to listen at low volume levels. driving with a reciever or more powerfull home source will allow a lot of play with the volume.
an amp will improve the quality a little, but not by the leaps and bounds that some claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back