Will getting a better COAX improve sound ?
Sep 27, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 46
If you are not experience dropouts, then improving the cable will make absolutely ZERO difference to sound quality.

This is the LAST time I reply to one of these threads. There is a new one at least every day. Pain in the ass. Noone listens anyway.

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amm
I am using my PC - and yes I prefer digital over optical - less jitter.
as for DAC - OMZ 4.2 (new one, not on their site yet)
And I am using a custome made one by Ori - the X-1 as a digital, and it sure sound nice, but I want to try others to
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried OMZ 4.1 with many coax cables, including X-1, Blue Jeans foamed teflon and foamed polyethylene, and about a dozen others.
I can heartily recommend Stereovox XV2 digital coax if you want an absolute bargain cable that adds the least amount of coloration and lets the most amount of information through.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can heartily recommend Stereovox XV2 digital coax if you want an absolute bargain cable that adds the least amount of coloration and lets the most amount of information through.

Couldn't help myself! Stop posting about stuff you clearly have no understanding of. You sir, would be best off selling your audio stuff, and putting the money towards an education.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Couldn't help myself! Stop posting about stuff you clearly have no understanding of. You sir, would be best off selling your audio stuff, and putting the money towards an education.

There could be a difference. Not always, but sometimes it's really obvious, depends on what you compare. Please go get some empirical experience.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a difference.

P.S. I am putting tons of money towards an education

Comment was not directed at you, as the quote would imply.

[size=xx-large]DIGITAL CABLES CANNOT COLOUR SOUND.

DIGITAL CABLES CANNOT COLOUR SOUND.

DIGITAL CABLES CANNOT COLOUR SOUND.[/size]

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

OK, how about this:

"Upgrading digital cables makes a HUGE difference, and you should most definatly spend as much money as you possible can on one."

Happy now?

No man, that's not what I'm saying either.
So, anyway, I have a question, does the impedance need to be 75ohm for coax? If it's not 75ohm but 50ohm, does it make a (theoretical) difference? I noticed a lot of higher priced coax manufacturers advertise "true 75 ohm."

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very pleased with the van den Hul The Optocoupler MKII.
"Best" or not, its at least really great.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

Quote:

If you are not experience dropouts, then improving the cable will make absolutely ZERO difference to sound quality.

This is the LAST time I reply to one of these threads. There is a new one at least every day. Pain in the ass. Noone listens anyway.

Funny thing this. I have three optical digital cables, the one that came with my Zero DAC, a VDH Optocoupler and a cheapy. The sound using the cheapy is BAD. Very very clearly bad. If I plug the Optocoupler in afterwards it's like night and day.

This "it's only 0's and 1's" argument is rubbish. In a computer, you have error correction to make sure that 0's and 1's aren't changed by electrical interference or other factors. In most systems (I don't know about very high-end digital gear) the equipment is translating the digital signal as it comes in, without any error correction. If those 0's and 1's have some kind of distortion, making them not perfectly off or on, possibly such as capacitance in an analogue cable, then your audio gear will reflect this.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

[size=xx-large]DIGITAL CABLES CANNOT COLOUR SOUND.

[/size]

Jeez, how old are you? Was the extreme shouting really necessary?
WELCOME TO MY IGNORE LIST
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #28 of 46
DIGITAL COAX

OPTICAL

Both are very nice - especially for the price. I highly doubt that any of us are using 50ft long digital cables anyways. Generally, optical seems a bit nicer and that may just be because there is that extra separation between the source and receiver. Plus, it is hard to get interference.

Their Analog cables are another story. While nice for the price, they are not going to compare well with any higher quality DIY cables out there. They are VERY bassy and generally muddy compared to a nice set of analog ($80 DIY). As far as digital cables, I haven't heard anything that does a nicer job. YMMV

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

If those 0's and 1's have some kind of distortion, making them not perfectly off or on, possibly such as capacitance in an analogue cable, then your audio gear will reflect this.

A digital signal is a 1 or a 0. If a 1 is distorted, it will be a 1 or change to a 0. It will not be a .5. It will not be bright. It will not have more bass. It will not have more soundstage. transferring a digital audio signal is not a difficult feat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back