Will burn in affect my PX100's greatly?
Jul 26, 2007 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jack H

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of PX100s off of Amazon today, and I'm a little bit disappointed upon listening to them. The problem I have with them is that the bass really is incredibly overpowering, at least with the music I listened to so far. I knew I was getting a headphone with some emphasis on bass, but I literally can't hear the highs and mids in my songs unless I turn the volume up to deafening levels. For example, with The Strokes' "Is This It," all I can hear is the bass line throughout the song, or with a Stars album I listen to, it's nearly impossible to hear the vocals behind the drums. They're the new model, by the way (came in a blue box).

I'm wondering if burning these in will alter the bass at all and make the rest of the sound more audible?

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 18
Mine improved over time. I couldn't tell you if it was actual burn in or if it was mental burn in. My first impression was similar to yours and now I enjoy them.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 18
Well mine really don't have that strong bass but PX100 does give you more bass than others. Most of the Strokes' songs generally have a good amount of bass in them in the first place so using PX100 will elevate that to a strong bass level which you might be experiencing. I can't say if my 2 year old PX100 had a dramatic change after they were burnt in but currently I do not notice any over powering bass with my PX100, so they must've settled down then.

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 18
lol yea the bass is strong... I just got new ones too man! High five brudder....hehe

I'm have been burning them with cd quality files for 4-5 hours now.... The bass seems a little tighter, or maybe it's just me...hehe don't know.

No harm burning them in anyways
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 18
I never noticed much of a burn-in effect.

I wish I would have kept mine...they were snazzier than I gave them credit for at the time
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 18
Cool, thanks for your help guys. Hopefully it's just something that I need to get used to.. I've been listening from some pretty weak speakers for a while, where all I hear pretty much is treble, so maybe I just need to get used to a constant "thump thump thump" from the drums, haha.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 18
First thing that I noticed with these phones is the BASS.
I guess you have to live with it as it doesn't go away. Personally I don't mind this much bass, but as it is far from accurate..
leaves me no choice but to find new portable phones
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 18
I didn't notice any change from burn in. In mine, the base is not overwhelming, and I'm not a base head. My favorite headphones are AKGs, which are not known for bass.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 18
I've read several times about the PX100's pronounced bass but I think it depends on your source.

I listen through a 5g Ipod Video and it sounds heavenly. Seriously, the sound is very pleasing and balanced for the most part. Bass is actually on the tame side depending on what I'm listening too but it's never completely lacking and the overall sound is always full and lush and pretty detailed, never tinny or weak. I listen without any EQ, that EQ on the Ipod is horrendous.

But I've tried listening through my PC and can definitely hear an emphasis on the lower frequencies.

As for burn in? I think all headphones naturally "mellow out" with time but it won't be a completely drastic change in sound signature, not if you're hearing more bass than you'd prefer.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read several times about the PX100's pronounced bass but I think it depends on your source.

I listen through a 5g Ipod Video and it sounds heavenly. Seriously, the sound is very pleasing and balanced for the most part. Bass is actually on the tame side depending on what I'm listening too but it's never completely lacking and the overall sound is always full and lush and pretty detailed, never tinny or weak. I listen without any EQ, that EQ on the Ipod is horrendous.

But I've tried listening through my PC and can definitely hear an emphasis on the lower frequencies.

x2. I only listen to them from my iPod. They are my favorite portables when I don't need isolation.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 18
I'm only listening on my 5G iPod. It just gets a little annoying that I have to turn up the volume on my iPod to hear the vocals well, when the drums are already incredibly loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back