Will ATH-M50 on iPhone sound any better with a LOD & PA2V2?
Oct 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

karatemonkey

New Head-Fier

I've recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I'm absolutely loving. I solely use them with 320kbps AAC on my iPhone. 

I've searched and read a lot of threads on the topic of amplifying the M50s, so I realise it's been covered fairly thoroughly. I'm hoping however that someone would be kind enough to help with my specific enquiry. 

I have some spare $ to spend and want to treat myself to a new toy. Am I likely to experience better sound using an Electric Avenues PA2V2 amp connected to the iPhone with a quality LOD; compared to headphones plugged directly into the iPhone headphone jack?

The PA2V2 is only $US60 delivered so it's quite cheap. A modest improvement in sound would be great, but I don't want to have to convince I'm hearing anything different. 

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Depends, are your music files lossless?

A cheaper route would be. make sure your files are lossless ALAC or FLAC using flacplayer app.

Also try the equalizer or EQu app, both very cheap.

I myself do notice an improvement with LOD-portable amp, less so with FLAC tracks/flacplayer app.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Depends, are your music files lossless?

A cheaper route would be. make sure your files are lossless ALAC or FLAC using flacplayer app.

Also try the equalizer or EQu app, both very cheap.

I myself do notice an improvement with LOD-portable amp, less so with FLAC tracks/flacplayer app.

Thanks for the reply. Re-encoding my music isn't a viable option at this stage. I also prefer to keep away from tweaking sound with the EQ. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 5
You are welcome.

Basically If you are going to use an amp, If your music files are poor quality they will just sound worse amped, because you will be able to notice the short comings more.

If your music files are of excellent quality - of course you will be improving what is already great by bypassing the iPods weak amp with an LOD.

I do recommend for the small cost of, I can't remember exactly -perhaps $2:50 that the equalizer app can do wonders.
It definitely is nothing like the built in iPod EQ. I do understand peoples resistance to EQ, I found this app made a surprisingly large difference. esp. before I went total lossless with all my music.

But yes, If you have the money to spare the PA2V2 certainly seems a favorite on these forums, I personally haven't heard it myself.
If you are going to go the portable amp way - do buy a quality top tier model or you will upgrade over and over again and end up spending three times as much.

But yes, equalizer amp, try that - imho, then see what you think, then commit to more cash spending:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back