WILL APPLE RELEASE A 240GB iPOD?
Nov 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 43
I could see them having the option online for custom orders of such iPods to prevent producing more supply than there is demand in the market for such a high capacity player. Like a "made by order" sort of thing.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 43
Not in the near future IMHO. Maybe in 5 years time when people start using their iPod's capacity? If they've "downgraded" from 160GB to 120GB. I don't see why they should bump the capacity at all, for now..

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly WHY!?..you'd only listen to 10% of it anyway.
Anything over 30ish GB is really overkill tbh.

Disagree. Anything above 100GB is overkill for the iPod classic. But not the iPod Touch
devil_face.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 43
All I can say is that if they stick it in the current hardware, it'll be even more of a deal-breaking experience due to the jerks even now with 120Gb's of track metadata to parse. I've gone right off the HDD iPod since the Classics. The SQ may have stabilised but there's too much eye candy at the expense of not enough of the core 'iPod experience' of seamless zipping through thousands of tracks without distracting breaks, no matter how brief. They need to speed up the machine and enhance the metadata caching algorithms before sticking in more storage.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 43
its inevitable..

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 43
eventually they'll get to be this size (probably in a couple years after classic has phased out and the touch is the de facto ipod)

anyway i'd like them to release it, but to be honest i highly doubt it.

edit: probably more than a couple years, but you get the point. not soon

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my 160 gB iPod Classic filled, about another 50 gB pending. Yes I do go through most of my library in a month's time and I do not like having to sync in but once a month. Lazy, I guess.

No, not lazy, just utilizing one of the key advantages that a large capacity player has over an old-school PCDP. I never want to go back to the late-night agonizing over what 20 CDs to bring on my almost weekly business trips.

That said, I can't see Apple upping the size of their HDD iPod offerings, for reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #30 of 43
not for quite some time. you could rig it up yourself though. I could see 256GB compact flash cards being available within the next year. so you could just do the CF mod on an ipod and hey presto 256GB ipod then when they briong out one thats bigger you can sell the 256 and get a 512 as long as the firmware can support it no problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back