Will an audio switcher degrade audio quality?
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

toxicrat2

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at this thing here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Audio-Speaker-Headset-Switch-Manhattan-172851-SB-A51-/270643487490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f039be302

so i can switch easily between my speakers and my headphones, but I wanted to ask if this will degrade sound quality.  I used a Y-splitter and just turned down the speakers in-line volume when they were not in use, but it sounded worse...

EDIT: changed title mis-type

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 14
It's possible that a cheap one like that will.  Unfortunately, I don't really have any recommendations for a good one

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 14
I also found this one:
http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

(the mk2 one)

Do you think that would be better?
The site says its closed till the 15th or something iirc, but if that's better i'll wait.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 14
That one looks likely to be fine, but I couldn't say for sure.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 14
I saw your rig in the "Pictures of your computer rig" thread.  Are you using a separate headphone amp?  Or are you planning on plugging the headphones directly into whatever switcher you get?

Whether a simple switcher like the MK2 will work will depend on what you're plugging in where and whether you're using a separate amp.  The MK2 doesn't appear to be designed to switch a headphone level output.  It's intended for line level input/output.

General rule of thumb would be to avoid cheap switchers that include a volume control.  They're going to affect audio quality.  Could affect things like channel separation, soundstage size, channel balance, etc.  Better to go with a simple switcher style box like the MK2.  But something like the MK2 will require that you have an external amp and send a line level signal to your speakers and a line level signal to the headphone amp.

A cheap monitor control box would work.  Like the Behringer MON800.  Allows you to select and mix multiple inputs and multiple outputs.  The cheap ones though are going to affect sound quality to some extent, though probably less so than that eBay switcher box.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 14
 i am using this one for switching between headphone amp and speaker amp (didn't pay that much for it).  i don't have the feeling that there is any audible degradation of sound quality.

edit: close up pics here.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, I'm not actually amping my speakers or my headphones atm, as neither of them really need amping imo.  I just plug them directly into my sound card, plus my speakers aren't really that great anyways.   I'm just getting started with good audio equiptment, but I thank you guys for helping out.  I don't know what I'm gonna do yet, but I suppose i'll probably post here when I make up my mind.  Until then I'll just keep going behind my computer to change back and fort.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Oct 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 14
I wouldn't worry about it in most systems, maybe when you get something you want to call "audiophile" and obsess over such things, then maybe.
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Even if you are an 'audiophile' I was initially surprised at how little it changes things.

Obviously it depends on the switch, but it would also be a fluke too far to say I've been lucky in all my choices.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 14
I have an inexpensive  Radio Shack switcher with three  line level inputs for my DAC, CD player and MP3 player and one output for a Creek headphone amp. I did several comparisons and couldn't hear any degradation of sound from my phones. The switcher does not have a volume control. You might want to check Radio Shack for a similar product and give it a try. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Every "LINK" in the chain has the potential to degrade audio.

Just try to find the most transparent link you can and/or be willing to live with the change in sound because the benefits of the link outweigh the change in fidelity.

The reason this switcher won't degrade audio qualty is that the low output impedance of the computer soundcard is passed on because there is no resistors in line with the speaker or headphone outputs. switch boxes that are designed for low level signals will probably have resistors in line which makes them cable sensitive as capacitance of the cables become a limiting factor at higher source impedances. With high source impedances of 1000 ohms 100pf can significantly degrade high frequency performance robbing instruments like piano of thier natural tone. Computer soundcards have much lower ouput impedance such as 10ohms & are usually insensitive to cable capacitance as a result so with the switch box I recomended there should be no audible degradation.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 14
I wouldn't worry about it in most systems, maybe when you get something you want to call "audiophile" and obsess over such things, then maybe.

a movie auteur with 7 years psp movie editing experience. Below is one tool created by me, you are welcome to try it and give me your feedback: hd video converter: a free hd to hd/sd converter;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back