Will an amp change the sound of a headphone?
Jan 14, 2010 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a better amp, but I got to thinking that it really will just make it sound better not different. I don't really like my main two headphones, but I'm not ready to give up on them.

Can a balanced amp make a change in the sound?

It's hard to explain, but it sounds like the sound wants to get out, just needs a proper amp?

BTW, I have a WA6, so I already have decent amp.

Sorry, If this question has been asked, I couldn't find it with my limited searching.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 9
What are your two main headphones?

And, yes, an amp can change the sound. It depends on the headphones and how they interplay between the two. Your amp might or might not be a good match. You might not have to buy something more expensive, either, just something that matches better.

Be careful with balanced gear. Not all of it is truly balanced. There are a lot of amps that are somewhere between single-ended and balanced that have XLR jacks and a much healthier price tag. Whenever someone speaks of "balanced" as an improvement, you don't know if they're actually balanced or have a single-ended amp with some bells and whistles thrown on to get more money.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 9
It can change the sound of a pair of headphones though sometimes it can be an unhappy match and it will emphasis an area the headphone may not be the best at. For example if a pair of headphones isn't the best at keeping bass controlled and you introduce a tube amp that is overly "tubey" to the equation you'll probably end up with muddy bass.

An amp can also help give the necessary current to a pair of headphones and really allow them to shine and show their true sonic characteristics however the sonic characteristics you're hearing now will give you good clues as to what sort of amp will pair up well with it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Or just enter the silly world of speakers
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 9
My headphones are the HD650 and K701. I guess the questions, is can you make a HD650 sound like a DT880? Or are you stuck with the fundamental sound of the phones?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphones are the HD650 and K701. I guess the questions, is can you make a HD650 sound like a DT880? Or are you stuck with the fundamental sound of the phones?

No, you can't make the 650s sound like the DT880s. The 650s are still going to be the 650s. You can tweak the sound a little bit, but you're not going to transform a headphone into another headphone.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you can't make the 650s sound like the DT880s. The 650s are still going to be the 650s. You can tweak the sound a little bit, but you're not going to transform a headphone into another headphone.

That is what I thought. So, if I don't like my headphones, I should get new headphones. If I like me headphones, I should get a new amp.

Granted it's not as simple as that, but it's a good plan going forward.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 9
headphone to amp matching is important. sometimes a headphone will sound roughly the same among various amps, but other times a few or one amp will shine above the rest. and of course, source plays a part too but i feel like amp/headphone matching is more important.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what I thought. So, if I don't like my headphones, I should get new headphones. If I like me headphones, I should get a new amp.

Granted it's not as simple as that, but it's a good plan going forward.

I say your summation is very good. From my three amps each has a different sound, but none change one set of headphones into another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back