Will a RCA switch degrade audio quality?
Apr 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cheezies

Head-Fier
Source: DIYEDEN SVDAC04-U
Cans: Sennheiser HD595
Amp: Little Dot II++ (haven't bought yet)

The DIYEDEN USB DAC already has a pre-amplified headphone jack. From what I've read, amplifying the pre-amped output is a bad idea. I'm left with using the RCA output jacks, but these jacks are used for my speakers. I want to hook up both my speakers and the amp to the RCA outputs of my USB DAC.

If I used a RCA switch, will the sound quality degrade greatly before reaching the amp? Perhaps I could use a splitter on the output of the amp going to both the headphones and speakers?

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current I have the following.

Source: DIYEDEN SVDAC04-U
Cans: Sennheiser HD595
Amp: Little Dot II++ (haven't bought yet)

The DIYEDEN USB DAC already has a pre-amplified headphone jack. From what I've read, amplifying the pre-amped output is a bad idea. I'm left with using the RCA output jacks, but these jacks are used for my speakers. I want to hook up both my speakers and the amp to the RCA outputs of my USB DAC.

If I used a RCA switch, will the sound quality degrade greatly before reaching the amp? Perhaps I could use a splitter on the output of the amp going to both the headphones and speakers?

I'm not sure about changes in impedance, but a quality passive preamp has worked wonders for my setup with both absolute transparency and signal routing capabilities.

<noob>

Edit: Could you explain how a switch (assuming it uses the best components available) would differ in impedance from a direct connection?

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutlemur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about changes in impedance, but a quality passive preamp has worked wonders for my setup with both absolute transparency and signal routing capabilities.

<noob>

Edit: Could you explain how a switch (assuming it uses the best components available) would differ in impedance from a direct connection?

That's a good point, if the switch is just a "switch" and nothing else then the impedance would remain the same. I assumed there was some "magic" inside a switch box that might somehow change that.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 9
BUMP this tread. Im so comfused. i dont want to switch rca back on computer when i want to liten to speakers on my nad.how do i get 2 amps on one source? i cant find any decent RCA spitter. do you guys know of this problem. i cant find out how to make this without "Y-Splitter"

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanx for the input. have read around abit and found this.

YULONG DAH1 MARK DAC/ Headphone Amplifier+ USB DAC - eBay (item 120306659461 end time Nov-16-08 16:00:00 PST).

I just have to try it. and then i can switch too
smily_headphones1.gif
.This will be my next buy.(with some new phones too
ksc75smile.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back