Wilco Sky Blue Sky
Mar 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jeffro

100+ Head-Fier
Just a heads up to Wilco fans out there. The forthcoming album is streaming on the bands website today. This is the second time the band has put the album up. It won't be on the site tomorrow, so hurry up and open another browser!

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 22
Hmm I guess this thing isn't going to work with my third party quicktime viewer. I'm not really in the mood for getting rid of that and installing Apple's bloatware again. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

How does it sound so far? I wasn't overly impressed with Ghost.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 22
I tuned in to most of it. Wilco can't really be judged with one listen, so I'll hold off on that. I felt a few songs sounded very Lennon-influenced, even Beatle-ish, as if they belonged between Abbey Road and Plastic Ono.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for the heads up...listening to it right now.

So far (I'm on the second song) it's a bit more Summerteeth than A Ghost is Born. I like it...a pretty cool thing to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another "to buy" selection for May, I guess...

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 22
I'm grooving on the title track right now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again...

EDIT: Wow...I never knew you could listen to concert feeds on this site. This is getting better by the minute!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone else wondering if Wilco is incapable of putting out a bad album?

Neither A Ghost is Born or AM are that great. However the others are.
icon10.gif

New one sounds more countrified and traditional than Wilco have sounded for years. It is pleasant initially without being startling, but it will probably grow on me once I get a chance to hear it properly.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 22
I'm listening to "What Light" right now and I like it. A lot. If this song is any indication of the rest of the CD I'll be happy. A Ghost is Born didn't do much for me.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 22
Damn missed it...
Summerteeth is my least favorite, but not necessarily a bad album. So at this point I would agree with Uncle Erik. An amazing live band- go if you ever possibly can.

May 15, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 22
Had a chance to listen to it... It's pretty damn good. The past albums from Wilco never did it for me (Summerteeth, YHF, A Ghost is Born), but this one grabbed my attention from the start.

May 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had a chance to listen to it... It's pretty damn good. The past albums from Wilco never did it for me (Summerteeth, YHF, A Ghost is Born), but this one grabbed my attention from the start.

wow, really. I think this is the most boring wilco album they put out. That said, its still pretty good

and who says AM isint good, i'll fight you!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 22
I can't get "Either Way" out of my head!

btw, this is a great year for music! New albums from of Montreal, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Arctic Monkeys, The Hives, Spoon, and I'm sure I am missing a few!

May 15, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, really. I think this is the most boring wilco album they put out. That said, its still pretty good

and who says AM isint good, i'll fight you!
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel A Ghost is Born was their most boring,

May 15, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 22
This is a little better than A Ghost is Born, but these do not compare to YHF and Summerteeth. I think Jeff Tweedy writes better with Jay Bennett. I think Tweedy needs someone like Bennett or Jay Farrar challenging him during the songwriting process.

I felt the same way about weezer after Matt Sharp left. When Rivers was given total control over their music, he got lazy and their work suffered.

May 16, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 22
I've been listening to the leak for a while now. I love Impossible Germany and imagine it will be the only single, not that Wilco releases singles. This album is supposed to be a true collaboration between Tweedy and the band. To me, this album feels more like a solo album than any previous. Sky Blue Sky (the song) sounds like a solo track from a Jeff Tweedy show.

Overall, I like the album, though it is not my favorite Wilco album. SBS is quite a logical progression of the Wilco sound. Tweedy is finally off of the painkillers and is happy, so he directed a mostly happy album. The depression of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has been replaced with the happy What Light, and the spastic/internally toutured Tweedy guitar solos of A Ghost Is Born have been replaced by happier Nels Cline solos like on Impossible Germany. It isn't as musically ground breaking as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost Is Born and seems to be an easy listening album that a bunch of 40 year olds would create.

That being said, I went out and got the album and cd today. It felt good to hand over some cash to support a great band and support my local record shop.
icon10.gif

I am hoping the next album is a little more inventive musically. While I am waiting for that album, I will sit back and listen to the relaxing sounds of SKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back