Wil the Schiit Asgard amp make a difference for my setup?
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cheesegrados

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using a Schiit Modi dac and S Samson Amp combo. I was wondering if I buy the Schiit Asgard or Valhala then would i make a big diffrence? I'm using a Grado PS-500 right now. Plannning to upgrade to LCD 2 in the future. Let me know your thoughts thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 17
I think it depends on a few things, like those you've listed, and also your ears and source as well. If you are playing not so great music files from your computer, then the Asgard might not make a big difference at all. But if you are playing high quality music files, then maybe you will see some improvement. That's where your ears come in. With me, I play 320kbps music files through the system, and with any of my headphones, the Asgard doesn't make a 'big' difference. There are times when I think I might be able to hear a difference, but that could just be placebo at work.

What I'm saying is, it sort of depends on the rest of your audio chain too as to whether a different amp will sound different. Just my thoughts, anyway.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 17
I will be using Spotify premium 75% and spinning real CDs on my pc drive. I listen to mostly pop and electronica. But yes I do download lossless files from beat port. So do you think my setup can improve with the Asgard? Better yet the Valhala? Thanks brown bear for your thoughts.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 17
Theoretically the Vahalla is not a good match with the PS500 due to the OTL design and high output impedance. Especially if you consider a LCD-2 down the road, the Vahalla straight up doesn't work with orthos. So my guess is that you should look into the Asgard or the Magni.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I will be using Spotify premium 75% and spinning real CDs on my pc drive. I listen to mostly pop and electronica. But yes I do download lossless files from beat port. So do you think my setup can improve with the Asgard? Better yet the Valhala? Thanks brown bear for your thoughts.

Well, I don't want to say for sure if your setup will improve with the Asgard, because I don't have personal experience with the rest of your gear, and more importantly, I don't have your ears. I will say this, though. I like my Asgard very much, it does a good job of driving all of my headphones well, and I'm happy with it.

All I can say for sure, is that I'd recommend you listening to the gear first, then make a decision. Unfortunately, I know that isn't always feasible, but personally I think it's the best route.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Brown Bear, i will take advantage of the 15 day money back policy.That way i can listen and see if there is a improvement. Anyways currently I have a 37 dollar headphone amp from Sam Ash store, and I think it's a piece of garbage compare to the real deal, such as the Asgard.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Brown Bear, i will take advantage of the 15 day money back policy.That way i can listen and see if there is a improvement. Anyways currently I have a 37 dollar headphone amp from Sam Ash store, and I think it's a piece of garbage compare to the real deal, such as the Asgard.  

Good call, I forgot for a minute that they offer that policy. Well, if you do go for it, good luck, and do let us know what you think of it. Post some impressions.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 17
I wish the 15 day money back guarantee was also available with schiit gear here in Australia :frowning2:. But yes can't wait for impressions! Looking at the Asgard myself

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 17
Actually I change route, I went with the Westone 4 regret it and sold it for the RS1i. Rs1i was good but i wasn't satisfy so i returned it for the Hifiman-He500. Should get them in a few day from now. As for the Asgard, I never purchase it so i can't say. I have to get an amp for my new Hifiman so either a Magni or Asgard 2.... whatever fits my budget at time of purchase. I will let you know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back