Wikipedia Chokes on Grado Entry
Jul 2, 2006 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
It would seem that wikipedia is having a bit of trouble getting its story straight on its Grado headphones page. I've been watching the progression over the course of the day, and it just seems like the content is getting worse and weirder. Head-fi might need to send someone over to help out.
tongue.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 25
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 25
Heh. I especially like the comparison with Sennheiser.

Yet there isn't a comparison with AKG. Maybe I should mix that in along with my strongly held belief that the K-501 has adequate bass.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 25
Did somebody say K501 bass?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do find the competition section pretty funny though. Not so much just opinionated, but some rather amusing opinions.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 25
To quote from the article:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Competition
Grado's headphones often lean more towards a warmer sound signature while the Sennheiser high-end headphone family will concentrate more on sound detail.

That person has either obviously never heard a Sennheiser or Grado before or got the two mixed up.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
To quote from the article:

That person has either obviously never heard a Sennheiser or Grado before or got the two mixed up.

The author obviously worded this to be easily understood by ANYBODY that happened to come accross the article. Not inaccurate - just very general which would lead to be believd incorrect by 'audiophiles'.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 25
Actually, the "Competition" section is a step up on what they had up there earlier today. That section used to be called "Criticisms" and read as follows:

Quote:

Criticisms

Not all companies are perfect, as the world of audio is extremely subjective. Neutral Headphone consumers complain about the "rounded" earcup Grado uses in each of their headphone offerings which makes the headphones uncomfortable through long hours of use. Those who have been exposed to Grado's headphones, though, will defend that there's no problem with the rounded earcup factor Grado headphones utilize, while those who have not been exposed to Grado will be expecting more comfortable earcups in Grado headphones.

There are certain headphone aficionados who are overly worried about the uniform supra-aural, round-cup, open-air policy Grado currently deploys, and among the main concerns are the soundstage signature and the background noise that is likely to hurt the rich sound. There is no word whether or not Grado is going to introduce a noise-cancelling line, though certain headphone aficionados feel that Grado headphones either warrant little or no value for their headphone collection due to soundstage and comfort issues. While Grado's round-cup, open-air, and supra-aural policy worked really well through the years, noise-cancelling veterans are dying for a noise-cancellation version of Grado's headphones plus headphone aficionados are expecting more out of Grado in the future.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 25
Actually those criticisms don't seem too bad, although it's not something that should be in a Wiki. They are fairly consistent with the things that people get warned about here when first considering buying a Grado: uncomfortable to many people, leak a lot of sound and don't isolate, and have a very small soundstage. I'm not sure whether noise cancelling here was meant to mean active noise cancelling, or just something with a degree of isolation, but I the point that Grado doesn't offer such options is valid either way to someone looking for headphones to use in noisy environments.

The bit about having a warmer sound than high end Sennheiser's though...

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Defenders of Grado's headphones will clearly state that the Grado Headphones are often more efficient and more "audiophile-friendly" than the Sennheiser high-end headphones

What does audiophile-friendly mean
confused.gif
and how grado are more audiophile friendly than sennheiser?

Jul 2, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 25
Its looking better now. Thats what happens when you let "audiophiles" edit something thats supposed to be objective

*checks the wikipedia page on power cables*

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The author obviously worded this to be easily understood by ANYBODY that happened to come accross the article. Not inaccurate - just very general which would lead to be believd incorrect by 'audiophiles'.

That's not really what I mean. Instead of reading
Quote:

Grado's headphones often lean more towards a warmer sound signature while the Sennheiser high-end headphone family will concentrate more on sound detail.

it should be
Quote:

Grado's headphones will concentrate more on sound detail while the Sennheiser high-end headphone family often lean more towards a warmer sound signature.

or words to that effect. To be quite honest, it'd be better if that section was done away with; it's just too subjective.

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 25
I just checked the Edit and it looks like one of you already deleted the "competition" section.

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 25
The article looks pretty good now. To the point and no opinions about sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back