WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #707 of 781
Dec 2, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #710 of 781
If you use the same (external) DAC with both, then no, there absolutely should NOT be a difference in sound. (unless the Apple Thing applies some DSP before sending out the digital signal)

If you use the internal DAC in the WiiM, then you might be able to hear the noise floor in quiet passages when listening at very high volumes.
Can users turn off the built-in DAC in order to use their own separate?

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #712 of 781
IFI stream vs Wiim Pro

I have owned an IFI Stream for about a week now.

IFI stream chain is: Flac - USB output to Gustard 18 DDC to Gustard X26pro and LHY OCK2 to Burson Soloist 3x to He1000se. Audivanna player.

Vs

Wimm Pro ( plus Linear Power Supply) connected to the X26pro through Toslink to Soloist 3x to He1000se. Audirvana player.

The Wimm Pro sounds cleaner. Probably due to the linear power supply.
IFI streamer sounds fuller but less
clean and precise.
The Wiim Pro's app is significantly easier to use.

A bit surprising since I thought running the signal through a DDC would sound better.

I ordered a 12v LHY linear power supply in hopes the IFI stream will sound better.

One thing is for certain, Wiim pro is max value at its price point.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #713 of 781
Is there really any reason why the powersupply should have any impact on the digital signal sent out through Toslink?!

The Wiim Pro is an absolutely insane value for money if used with an external DAC.
When used with the internal DAC (RCA output), it's still plenty good enough for anything up to CD quality. (16bit, 44khz)

This was measured with the standard psu and over wifi:
1701717105859.jpeg

source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../wiim-pro-review-measurements-streamer.42300/

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #715 of 781
Santa brought me a WiiM Mini for Christmas. I'm streaming Amazon HD through it and using an old iPhone 7 to control it. Liking it very much so far. The Amazon HD app kept freezing up on the iPhone and using it on my laptop was a bit clunky. The WiiM Mini solved that and I paid $79 for it. The Deal of the Day.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #716 of 781
Santa brought me a WiiM Mini for Christmas. I'm streaming Amazon HD through it and using an old iPhone 7 to control it. Liking it very much so far. The Amazon HD app kept freezing up on the iPhone and using it on my laptop was a bit clunky. The WiiM Mini solved that and I paid $79 for it. The Deal of the Day.

Since you are using the AMZ app on your phone... I suggest you make the connection to the WiiM Mini using Chromecast or better yet, Alexacast (not Airplay). Several advantages in doing so.

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #717 of 781
Any opinions on the new AKM DAC inside the Pro Plus version? Are you liking the sound and has anyone compared it to a good outboard DAC? Like a Denefrips or SMSL?

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #718 of 781
I love my Wiim Pro Plus connected through Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit (gen 1) DAC and this to Rega Brio amplifier. Everything is OK except one thing, when doing test and output set to 24/192 nothing is listened, but all other combinations up to 24/96 are OK. I discovered this when playing through Tidal Connect inside WiiM the Pink Floyd's Meddle album remastered to 24/192; now WiiM is setup to 24/96 max toslink output and even theses songs are very well played, but I am suffering a kind of downsampling from 24/192 to 24/196.

Is there any known issue between WiiM and Modi Multibit DAC? This DAC supports 24/192.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Have a Happy New Year.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #719 of 781
I love my Wiim Pro Plus connected through Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit (gen 1) DAC and this to Rega Brio amplifier. Everything is OK except one thing, when doing test and output set to 24/192 nothing is listened, but all other combinations up to 24/96 are OK. I discovered this when playing through Tidal Connect inside WiiM the Pink Floyd's Meddle album remastered to 24/192; now WiiM is setup to 24/96 max toslink output and even theses songs are very well played, but I am suffering a kind of downsampling from 24/192 to 24/196.

Is there any known issue between WiiM and Modi Multibit DAC? This DAC supports 24/192.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Have a Happy New Year.
In theory, Toslink can pass 24/192, but it doesn't always work. It depends on the design of the device and the quality of the Toslink fibers. If you need to stay with Toslink, a higher quality cable may solve it. If possible, try connecting via coax, which has lower jitter than Toslink.

I doubt you will hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192, but you should hear a difference between Toslink and coax. Of course either could be better. Like most things in audio, it depends on the gear and the specific cables.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #720 of 781
In theory, Toslink can pass 24/192, but it doesn't always work. It depends on the design of the device and the quality of the Toslink fibers. If you need to stay with Toslink, a higher quality cable may solve it. If possible, try connecting via coax, which has lower jitter than Toslink.

I doubt you will hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192, but you should hear a difference between Toslink and coax. Of course either could be better. Like most things in audio, it depends on the gear and the specific cables.
Thanks a lot for your prompt answer, I changed the toslink by an QED coax and it works properly at 24/192, both the WiiM testing and the Pink Floyd album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back