WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #691 of 781
Coax out from the Pro even into my budget iFi ZEN One dac, is superior to my ears.

Shouldn't the sound quality of the Mini and the Pro sound the same using optical/coax...the only difference being the nice ethernet option on the Pro (and of course the ability to use nice RCA for an analog run)? Have you compared them both digitally connected to your Zen?

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #692 of 781
Try BubbleUPnP instead of MConnect

I tried that too but and it also had issues I just can't remember exactly what they were.. I'll have to try again. I have to keep in mind I have one of the best DACs available in the 205 so all I need is something to utilize it. Obviously Roon is superior (and connects directly to my Oppo seamlessly) but it's hard to justify another cost for streaming service on top of what you already have. And it very frustratingly doesn't support my meticulously compiled SACD image files... unlike J River. But, on the flip side, they frustratingly steadfastly refuse to do any streamer (Qobuz) integration. So I'm in a diabolical loop :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #693 of 781
Coax out from the Pro even into my budget iFi ZEN One dac, is superior to my ears.

Shouldn't the sound quality of the Mini and the Pro sound the same using optical/coax...the only difference being the nice ethernet option on the Pro (and of course the ability to use nice RCA for an analog run)? Have you compared them both digitally connected to your Zen?
I think, he was referring to analog versus digital from the Pro version, not mini versus Pro..

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #694 of 781
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #696 of 781
I'm thinking about getting a Wiim streamer, probably the pro version. I currently use apple tv for music.

The apple TV is connected though optical cable.

I used my own DAC, rme adi 2, I wonder if it's a upgrade in sound quality get a Wiim.

Can anyone comment on this?

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #697 of 781
I'm thinking about getting a Wiim streamer, probably the pro version. I currently use apple tv for music.

I used my own DAC, rme adi 2, I wonder if it's a upgrade in sound quality get a Wiim.

If you use the same (external) DAC with both, then no, there absolutely should NOT be a difference in sound. (unless the Apple Thing applies some DSP before sending out the digital signal)

If you use the internal DAC in the WiiM, then you might be able to hear the noise floor in quiet passages when listening at very high volumes.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #698 of 781

Apple TV puts evrything out at 48KHz which is not bit perfect. Wiim uses Airplay 2 which is not ideal either. More here:

https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #701 of 781
did he say somewhere that he wants to use Apple Music?

He said he was currently streaming from an Apple TV, no?
(I've never had an Apple TV so I don't know if it's limited to Apple music or can use Spotify and others)

And did he say he's using an iPhone?

Because Chromecast from an Android device would work fine with Apple Music..

and if he's not using apple music nor an iPhone, then all would be fine, right?

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #702 of 781
did he say somewhere that he wants to use Apple Music?

He said he was currently streaming from an Apple TV, no?
(I've never had an Apple TV so I don't know if it's limited to Apple music or can use Spotify and others)

And did he say he's using an iPhone?

Because Chromecast from an Android device would work fine with Apple Music..

and if he's not using apple music nor an iPhone, then all would be fine, right?
True. If Apple Music is not in play here, I´d certainly get the Wiim since Apple TV outputs everything at 48KHz.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #703 of 781
Arguably -- short of plugging one's iPhone into the audio system -- one of the Android-based streamers (e.g., FiiO R7) will provide the best fidelity and user experience available. But while I'm an Apple Music subscriber, I don't have one of these, nor can I recommend it without very mixed feelings. Mainly because both solutions I'm aware of are using customized obsolete versions of Android, so their life expectancy is probably quite limited (i.e., if the OEMs won't be continually supporting the platforms with frequent bug fixes and closing security exposures, which can't be predicted). Apple could make a concerted effort to compete with Spotify and Amazon by -- among other things -- offering an Apple Music Connect functionality, but for reasons known only to them, so far they haven't done so. So people who like both Apple Music and high-quality, bit-perfect music rendering are in a tough spot.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #704 of 781
Pulled a bunch of stuff out of storage / other rooms to do some comparisons.

Setup 1 - Wiim Mini ->Rega Dac ->Cavali Tube Hybrid
Setup 2 - Sonore Ultrarendu (Keces P8 Linear power) ->RME ADI-2 FS (Keces P8 Linear power) ->Topping A70 Pro
Setup 3 - Wiim Pro Plus -> Liquid Platinum

Rotating ZMF Verite Closed, Focal Elear (Dekoni pads), and Focal Utopia 2016 and streaming Qobuz from Roon and Wiim Home.

Observations so far:
  • Wiim Pro Plus dac is awesome for the price. Both Wiim devices are incredible value and the app to control them is the best I've seen. Just need the Pro Plus to get Roon endpoint support and I'll be all set.
  • Sound doesn't scale with cost:
    • I can't tell a difference between sound quality of Wiim and Ultrarendu; both sound great, but Ultrarendu was ~$600 or so years ago when I got it and it only does Roon.
    • I do rate Setup 2 as the best sounding with all my headphones, but the difference is much smaller than expected.
    • I enjoy the ~$250 Cavali Tube Hybrid over the ~$600 Liquid Platinum.
    • I got the Rega DAC many years ago as a demo unit from a local shop for about $300...best audio expenditure ever.
  • ZMF bass is too....bloomy? I'm not good at describing audio, but I've tried several amp/dac combinations and it's not working for me anymore. Pad swap might help. I've tried a few Roon EQ settings, but that's only messed it up so far.
  • Elear sounds amazing. I put a 3 db adjustment around 6k in Roon EQ, and I may actually like it more than the Utopia

Attachments

• Audio shootout.jpg
    Audio shootout.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #705 of 781
Anyone using EQ on the Mini? It seems a bit wonky, and sometimes it forgets changes I've recently made, and jumps back to a previous setting. Anyone else tried that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back