WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
May 6, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #526 of 781
Im wondering if anyone encountered the following issue. I play cds 90% of the time but music discovery is done with the WiiM Pro. I use coaxial for both the cd player and the streamer. My Chord Mscaler has 2 coax bnc inputs so I use both of them at the same time. If the cd player is playing and I start playing something on the WiiM Pro without switching the active input on the MScaler the sound gets distorted. The standby time of the WiiM pro is set to 30 seconds. If I stop the playback and wait 30 seconds the distortion goes away. I have asked friends that own the MScaler if they are using both of the bnc inputs at the same time and they do and they report no issues. It seems that the problem is with the WiiM Pro. What could it be?

May 7, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #528 of 781
It sounds like the output from the Pro is high, so its bleeding over into the other circuit and saturating it, before you switch the inputs. See if you can reduce the gain for that input, or use optical.
You gave me an idea. So I went to the audio settings and lowered the line out level to all the values present there. The problem persists. I even unchecked fixed volume and set the volume to zero. No resolve. As long as the WiiM Pro is sending a signal (I don’t know what it is sending when no music is playing) the distortion is present. In the screen where I set the line out level it says that if I hear distortion or noise I should lower the value. I did all the way to 500 mVrms. What’s strange is that when this happens the music plays from both sources only distorted. With optical this is fixed but I’m trying not to use optical as much as I can.

May 7, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #529 of 781
Im wondering if anyone encountered the following issue. I play cds 90% of the time but music discovery is done with the WiiM Pro. I use coaxial for both the cd player and the streamer. My Chord Mscaler has 2 coax bnc inputs so I use both of them at the same time. If the cd player is playing and I start playing something on the WiiM Pro without switching the active input on the MScaler the sound gets distorted. The standby time of the WiiM pro is set to 30 seconds. If I stop the playback and wait 30 seconds the distortion goes away. I have asked friends that own the MScaler if they are using both of the bnc inputs at the same time and they do and they report no issues. It seems that the problem is with the WiiM Pro. What could it be?
My gueass is that SPDIF output of Pro is still active, until standby, and it confuses MScaler. I think you already have one possible solution - wait 30 secs. Alternatively, try optical out from Pro.
See if you can reduce the gain for that input
I don't think there is any gain reduction possible on digital input/output. Not only on Pro / MScaler, but hardly at all.

May 7, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #532 of 781
You gave me an idea. So I went to the audio settings and lowered the line out level to all the values present there. The problem persists. I even unchecked fixed volume and set the volume to zero. No resolve. As long as the WiiM Pro is sending a signal (I don’t know what it is sending when no music is playing) the distortion is present. In the screen where I set the line out level it says that if I hear distortion or noise I should lower the value. I did all the way to 500 mVrms. What’s strange is that when this happens the music plays from both sources only distorted. With optical this is fixed but I’m trying not to use optical as much as I can.

Maybe it won't change anything,
but try to power the USB of the PRO with a power-bank (if you don't already).

May 20, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #537 of 781
Anyone have problems with and/or resolution to the remotes not working? I have two, tried them both with various batteries, tried pairing, and all to no avail. They act as if DOA - no lights, no nothing. Can anyone help? Seemed pairing instructions are simple and straightforward, but my 2 units act like they don't have batteries installed. Dead, dead, dead. Trying to pair with a mini, via the app on an android phone.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #539 of 781
I see no point in WiiM remotes. The ‘smart’ phone app is the remote.
I totally do, especially for only $20.
Now a days, everyone is trying to get their phone do the burden of being a remote for running everything in their life, bloating it out. It's nice when there's a dedicated remote laying right there while playing background music....etc, I can quickly press mute and turn the volume down; especially when I'm already talking on the phone or don't want a phone around me in the room ringing or text'ing when listening to music or movie. I'm starting to save my old phones & iPads just to make them dedicated remotes for different systems but those are way more than $20 each

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #540 of 781
I totally do, especially for only $20.
Now a days, everyone one is trying to get their phone do the burden of being a remote for running everything in their life, bloating it out. It's nice when there's a dedicated remote laying right there playing background music, I can quickly press mute and turn the volume down; especially when I'm already talking on the phone or don't want a phone around me in the room ringing or text'ing when listening to music or movie. I'm starting to save my old phones & iPads just to make them dedicated remotes for different systems but those are way more than $20 each
Your choice. For me the WiiM has fixed volume for maximum fidelity. Output to external dac and volume on an audio analog preamp. That has a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back