WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Nov 12, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #151 of 789
Has anyone compared UI of the wiim app to the bluesound OS app? I use amazon 100% for streaming and like the Blue OS integration within IOS for control. The outputs are nice and I bypass the internal DAC. I need another streamer and considering Wiim mini pro vs. another Node. The price doensn't really concern me and the size is also not a factor. Really just care about the sound quality and user experience using the app.

Don't care about airplay, voice control, bluetooth or any of the other gimmicks. Just need a native app purely as a streamer that sounds great easy to use and never crashes/rock solid reliability. I want 0 latency between selection of the song and playback as well.

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #152 of 789
Has anyone compared UI of the wiim app to the bluesound OS app? I use amazon 100% for streaming and like the Blue OS integration within IOS for control. The outputs are nice and I bypass the internal DAC. I need another streamer and considering Wiim mini pro vs. another Node. The price doensn't really concern me and the size is also not a factor. Really just care about the sound quality and user experience using the app.

Don't care about airplay, voice control, bluetooth or any of the other gimmicks. Just need a native app purely as a streamer that sounds great easy to use and never crashes/rock solid reliability. I want 0 latency between selection of the song and playback as well.
Unlike the Bluesound, you can use the native Amazon Music app to cast to the WiiM devices without relying on a third party interpretation of the Amazon music API.

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #153 of 789
Unlike the Bluesound, you can use the native Amazon Music app to cast to the WiiM devices without relying on a third party interpretation of the Amazon music API.
And to confirm when using the amazon app you’re not connecting through airplay or Bluetooth correct?

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #156 of 789
Good news wiim team has received a batch of samples today from the production run. Here's a few picture of the actual units.
246D620F-30B2-432B-99FE-13EA266C0874.jpeg
FD0B0DEE-37F5-4FE0-8010-40113AD9C54C.jpeg

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #157 of 789
Nov 20, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #158 of 789
Good news wiim team has received a batch of samples today from the production run. Here's a few picture of the actual units.

Cool, thanks for the update. The pic showing the back side with recessed RCA inputs looks like it will be a little concerning/issue for a lot of audio RCA cables to fit into them, especially the digital out (looks tight). There's doesn't look to be much space for the plug to fit inside the recess? Hopefully it's just the angle of the pic.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #159 of 789
Cool, thanks for the update. The pic showing the back side with recessed RCA inputs looks like it will be a little concerning/issue for a lot of audio RCA cables to fit into them, especially the digital out (looks tight). There's doesn't look to be much space for the plug to fit inside the recess? Hopefully it's just the angle of the pic.
I don’t like the recessed coax input as it limit the plug that can get in. I see no benefits on recessed.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #160 of 789
Non-recessed sockets would make more sense, as a wider range of cables could be used, both for analogue and coax. Production costs could possibly be less too.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #161 of 789
I don’t like the recessed coax input as it limit the plug that can get in. I see no benefits on recessed.
I agree, I think this could potentially be very annoying, We still need to see an actual production unit and the pic shown could be deceiving but if the Pro is suppose to be catered to the audiophile crowd, I think there'll be a lot of annoyed owners who can't use there good existing cables (more money than the Wiim Pro : ). I know it sounds petty but this spring I bought a new Burson CX3 GT and had to go out and hunt for a new cable with usb-C to buy just to play the Burson and couldn't use any of my good existing usb cables.

I can see that RCA "digital out" SPDIF being the biggest issue as that will be used going to a DAC and most buyers probably already have a nice 75ohm digital cable with larger plugs (especially any with a locking barrel) like Furutech, WBTthat they wont be able to use, that would be a big design faux pas and turn off. Again, I could be wrong (I hope so) and the pic above is deceiving and everything is good.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #162 of 789
I agree, I think this could potentially be very annoying, We still need to see an actual production unit and the pic shown could be deceiving but if the Pro is suppose to be catered to the audiophile crowd, I think there'll be a lot of annoyed owners who can't use there good existing cables it. I know it sounds petty but this spring I bought a new Burson CX3 GT and had to go out and buy a new usb cable with usb-C just to play the Burson and couldn't use any of my good existing usb cables.

I can see that RCA "digital out" SPDIF being the biggest issue as that will be used going to a DAC and most buyers probably already have a nice 75ohm digital cable with larger plugs (especially any with a locking barrel) that they wont be able to use, that would be a big design faux pas and turn off. Again, I could be wrong (I hope so) and the pic above is deceiving and everything is good.
Is the picture the final design or just test production? I just zoomed the picture and all rca are recessed. It look pretty but problem on good quality cable. I hope wiim eliminate these recessed.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #163 of 789
I agree, I think this could potentially be very annoying, We still need to see an actual production unit and the pic shown could be deceiving but if the Pro is suppose to be catered to the audiophile crowd, I think there'll be a lot of annoyed owners who can't use there good existing cables (more money than the Wiim Pro : ). I know it sounds petty but this spring I bought a new Burson CX3 GT and had to go out and hunt for a new cable with usb-C to buy just to play the Burson and couldn't use any of my good existing usb cables.

I can see that RCA "digital out" SPDIF being the biggest issue as that will be used going to a DAC and most buyers probably already have a nice 75ohm digital cable with larger plugs (especially any with a locking barrel) like Furutech, WBTthat they wont be able to use, that would be a big design faux pas and turn off. Again, I could be wrong (I hope so) and the pic above is deceiving and everything is good.
The only test user on WiiM’s own forum so far has already mentioned this difficulty (I guess that’s where the initial comment was picked up from), so it’s not the picture…

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #164 of 789
Is the picture the final design or just test production? I just zoomed the picture and all rca are recessed. It look pretty but problem on good quality cable. I hope wiim eliminate these recessed.
The way they worded the announcement leads me to believe this is the final product picture. Here is the direct quote along with a different angle view.

Just wanted to share some new pics of WiiM Pro! Our team received a batch of samples today from our production run. We'll let you know we're live on Amazon.com. Also attached a screenshot of the app that shows that WiiM Pro has Chromecast support.
B0E3520D-1ADE-4720-9AD5-4D2AB48496B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #165 of 789
Can’t you get small RCA/coax adaptors to extend out from these sockets, or would that offend users of high quality cables?

On WiiM’s forum, they replied “We tried a few "high-end" cable and it can fit. However, we understand there's really audiophile style cable with the massive jack protection may not be able to fit in. Let me bring this back to our team's and see what we can come up for later batch of production.”

Here’s the original thread
https://wiim.community.forum/threads/coaxial-input-issue.57/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back