WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Oct 6, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #121 of 825
I would love to be able to diagnose these "buggy" issues, but there are so many variables from one network to another, sadly I think it's almost impossible. I for instance never had any of these issues with stuttering, and loss of connection, both with the Zen Stream, and as well for the Wiim, it just does not happen for me.

Perhaps it's all in what we run in our homes, Is it VPNs, security software, or our providers themselves? Way too many variables for one to have an issue and not another. I do know one thing, it seems on average there are way more issues with Tidal "Connect" than others. I am saying this because in "almost" every update summary for the streamers I have the words "Fixed various playback issues with Tidal" are usually somewhere in the notes, way more than Spotify, or Qobuz, issues. It sometimes leads me to seriously think this has more to do with "piracy" concerns over users who stream "Tidal" service than others. To be more precise it reminds me more of "HDMI Handshake issues" with video providers, and equipment than anything else.

I agree--there are a lot of variables and you're right, Tidal Connect seems to have more issues than others.

As an aside, the thing that concerns me most about the WiiM is privacy. It's inexpensive and the initial install prompts twice for Alexa integration, I think. I have to wonder what the WiiM app is doing in the background and where our data is being sent/shared. I skipped Alexa integration on my phone but still... Maybe I'm just Paranoid Android.

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #122 of 825
I agree--there are a lot of variables and you're right, Tidal Connect seems to have more issues than others.

As an aside, the thing that concerns me most about the WiiM is privacy. It's inexpensive and the initial install prompts twice for Alexa integration, I think. I have to wonder what the WiiM app is doing in the background and where our data is being sent/shared. I skipped Alexa integration on my phone but still... Maybe I'm just Paranoid Android.
Nothing wrong with being "paranoid" others would say "cautious":L3000:

I think I have given up on it, if they want it they are gonna get it, I suppose...

And perhaps I have been fortunate to have not had anything bad happen yet!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #123 of 825
Received a list of WiiM Pro features that have been added in the first post. I’m supposed to be receiving a test unit at the end of month. Once I have it will have a better idea of improvement in sound quality and software. Not sure how long it will take to release retail version after the beta tester received units. If everything goes well I can see it possibly being released in mid to late November this is just my thoughts and nothing official on the date for retail version.
Good news is I don't see hardware changes to the beta test units so hopefully be released to the public after tester have some time to check for any software bugs.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #124 of 825
I recently got a Wiim Mini to connect to my headphone rig at my WFH desk (not supposed to stream or hook up unapproved peripherals). It does Spotify and Amazon Music nicely, but I'm bummed about the lack of connectivity with Plex/Plexamp which I use to access my local music library. I left a post on the Plex forums asking for it, and found a third party attempt at a fix. I might give that a try, but accessing it via DLNA within the Wiim amp isn't going to cut it.

For me, it's still worth using, but I'd give it 10/10 if I could cast to the Wiim Mini from within the Plexamp app. Hopefully soon!

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #125 of 825
A brief question to fellow WiiM Mini users:
  • When I choose "Browse" -> "My Music", I see my iPhone listed and information below: "76338 songs".
  • When I click on the "iPhone" a screen appears with all the songs listed (header: Song, Artis, Album, Playlist) including album covers, but NONE of the songs are actually accessible to play (this includes songs that are downloaded to my phone from Tidal).
Is there any way around this or is it a "feature" (i.e. see your songs, but no play your songs) :)

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #126 of 825
The WiiM Mini Airplay 2 is the best thing since the Bluesound Node 2021. At less than $90 it works so much easier & better than the Node at 1/5th the price. GAPLESS PLAYBACK HI-RES 192 kHz, 24-bit MUSIC - a no brainer if you use Amazon Music Ultra HD, Bluetooth ain’t bad either. Graphic EQ included in the software. Plug this into a high quality dac and enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #127 of 825
The WiiM Mini Airplay 2 is the best thing since the Bluesound Node 2021. At less than $90 it works so much easier & better than the Node at 1/5th the price. GAPLESS PLAYBACK HI-RES 192 kHz, 24-bit MUSIC - a no brainer if you use Amazon Music Ultra HD, Bluetooth ain’t bad either. Graphic EQ included in the software. Plug this into a high quality dac and enjoy.

Geez, I'm getting real antsy waiting for the Pro version! The Amazon Music compatibility (along with the price) is enough for me to try this thing.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #129 of 825
What’s the pro offer over the Mini? Connectivity? Better Dac? Etc? If you already have a good dac you are happy with then it becomes a mute point.

Ethernet connectivity is one, and just generally hoping there's an overall improvement over the mini.

EDIT: Coax is another big one. Didn't even realize that the Mini doesn't have coax lol.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #134 of 825
Looks like DENAFRIPS is going test the WiiM mini with there DAC’s as part of their streamers dac project. Below Is a link to the unboxing of the mini. Haven't heard anything more from WiiM Pro other than the tester units are suppose to be sent out this month. Since there running same software as mini it shouldn't take long to debug any issues.

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/...mail&cid=8d58483c-02bc-4f44-861e-93154628f1b7

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back