Wii Details - For Those Who Don't Know
Sep 18, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Wow, you really expected it to be around $175. A brand new, next generation console to be around $175? Especially considering the new technology involved in this new generation, it's reasonable to expect the Wii to not cost the usual $199 that previous Nintendo consoles costed on launch. Man, that one article that about the speculation of the Wii launching at around $170 really shot people's realistic expectations of the Wii price. $250 seems like a very fair price to me.

yea dont get me wrong $250 is a good price but everyone has been speculating it would launch at around $199 and i thought Nintendo would push the envelope further at around $175. the Wii is at heart a slightly more powerful GameCube with WiFi, internal flash memory, and a different controller. and seriously Nintendo throw us bone, drop the internal memory to lower the cost and just use existing Gamecube memory cards that we all already have.

the Wii is not "next generation" as we imagine and i would be surprised to hear someone tell me the new WiiMote could not have been developed for and run on the current GameCube as any regular peripheral could. considering the GC has been at less than $100 inlcuding bundled games for the past few years i think they could have definately launched the Wii at a lower price and that would have really kicked sand in the face of Sony and Microsoft.

$250 is not a "no brainer i must buy it at launch" price for me. i never had reservations about the lower power of the Wii but now i do and i will wait untill the price drops next year. i'd be willing to bet Microsoft can bring the X360 to the $300 range this season and may even bundle something, it still wouldnt interest me though i have a PC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #47 of 59
Azure i also agree with your thoughts regarding the virtual console. they should be like $3 at most or even unlimited with some marginal subscription fee, or better yet free just to boost Wii console sales. most of the games announced can actually be found for $3 as original carts, not to mention i'd think that the people most likely to play them on virtual console already have them in some form or another.

i dont see ethical problems with emulation of games that are OOP on consoles that are no longer supported, thats not stealing from anyone. seriously, if someone really wants to play these games and is willing to pay up to $10 each to emulate them on virtual console, then just emulate them for free. i pay for classic games b.c i want the cart and original packaging, and 99% of the time that costs substantially more than $10, but if i only wanted to play the game i wouldnt be spending anything.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
i dont see ethical problems with emulation of games that are OOP on consoles that are no longer supported, thats not stealing from anyone. seriously, if someone really wants to play these games and is willing to pay up to $10 each to emulate them on virtual console, then just emulate them for free. i pay for classic games b.c i want the cart and original packaging, and 99% of the time that costs substantially more than $10, but if i only wanted to play the game i wouldnt be spending anything.

Well, the same can be said with mp3 then, I pay for cd because I want the original packaging and Artworks, but if I only wanted to listen, I'm better off downloading them for free.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #49 of 59
Anyone else going to buy one purely to have a go at the conducting game?

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

here is a funny video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...i+vs+ps3&hl=en

That video is NSFW, but super funny.

I'm getting one, if only because it's the cheapest console and I like the concept. I do hope that Nintendo actually built a good console this time (something I feel they haven't truly done since the SNES).

EDIT: And I also agree that emulation of games because they were no longer readily available is... not wrong. Of course now that Nintendo's going to rerelease a lot of them things may change very quickly.

Sep 18, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Well, the same can be said with mp3 then, I pay for cd because I want the original packaging and Artworks, but if I only wanted to listen, I'm better off downloading them for free.
rolleyes.gif

no, the difference is that mp3 downloads of currently available (buyable) music hurts sales. emulation of video games that are no longer available for retail doesnt.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

yea dont get me wrong $250 is a good price but everyone has been speculating it would launch at around $199 and i thought Nintendo would push the envelope further at around $175. the Wii is at heart a slightly more powerful GameCube with WiFi, internal flash memory, and a different controller. and seriously Nintendo throw us bone, drop the internal memory to lower the cost and just use existing Gamecube memory cards that we all already have.

the Wii is not "next generation" as we imagine and i would be surprised to hear someone tell me the new WiiMote could not have been developed for and run on the current GameCube as any regular peripheral could. considering the GC has been at less than $100 inlcuding bundled games for the past few years i think they could have definately launched the Wii at a lower price and that would have really kicked sand in the face of Sony and Microsoft.

$250 is not a "no brainer i must buy it at launch" price for me. i never had reservations about the lower power of the Wii but now i do and i will wait untill the price drops next year. i'd be willing to bet Microsoft can bring the X360 to the $300 range this season and may even bundle something, it still wouldnt interest me though i have a PC.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's normal for the difference in price between the previous generation's console to be much less than the next generation console. You can't really compare pricing between a brand new, next-generation (Despite what people say, it's still next-generation) product that's getting ready to hit store shelves for the first time, and a previous generation console that has been on the shelf for 5 years, and then conclude what would be an appropriate price for the next generation console based on these prices. Once consoles actually start moving, once financial goals have been met, and once there's pretty much a guarantee that sales will be well within the green/target zone for without much effort, then you see the kinds of price drops that lead to the current price of the GameCube. It's normal for the next new console to be this much more expensive than the previous generation (Certainly normal if you consider the price differences between all the other consoles available and the consoles that preceeded them; nothing new here).

I agree that $250 isn't a spectacular deal, but it's a good price nonetheless (Good enough that the price shouldn't be the reason that people don't buy the console).

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

no, the difference is that mp3 downloads of currently available (buyable) music hurts sales. emulation of video games that are no longer available for retail doesnt.

Well, if nintendo is selling them through wii online, doesn't it mean that it's available again for retail?
Now, if I want to own Nes, SNES, N64 games legally, I have a cheap alternative to buy it instead of paying ridiculous price at ebay. I think it's smart on nintendo's side. I hope I can have access to games released in Japan.

edit: I believe there's also some rare song/album which difficult to find at retail but it's currently available easily at itunes/etc

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Well, if nintendo is selling them through wii online, doesn't it mean that it's available again for retail?
Now, if I want to own Nes, SNES, N64 games legally, I have a cheap alternative to buy it instead of paying ridiculous price at ebay. I think it's smart on nintendo's side. I hope I can have access to games released in Japan.

edit: I believe there's also some rare song/album which difficult to find at retail but it's currently available easily at itunes/etc

which is why Nintendo is getting critisism, and if ROM images of ancient games do start becoming serious legal violations we will all know where we were when Nintendo started it. the music industry is already on complete lockdown so its not a valid comparison to make. in the short term, there is no way mame users will be prosecuted so you can "legally" emulate for free any way you want, it doesnt limit you to the titles Nintendo decides to put on virutal console.

the personal debate is "well do i want to emulate, or do i want to buy the originals to have and own" if you youve already decided the collector angle doesnt matter to you and youd just rather emulate, then whats the problem, go do it... for free

everybodys like "YAY! Nintendo is going to let us emulate, and charge us to do it." who cares? that sucks.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #56 of 59
I know this isn't a forum for emulation discussion, but last time I had experience with ZSnes it allowed you to save whenever you wanted, which completely butchered the gameplay, taking the stress out of long dungeons. I know you can choose not to, but you should know that that's not going to happen. I would pay 8 bucks in a heartbeat to play a few choice SNES games without having to worry about shaking the floor or erasing my save.

Quote:

Like I'd love for 4 player Goldeneye or Perfect Dark to be less fuzzy and more fluent - fixing the slowdown problems on the other consoles. If this is the case 8-10 dollars for this is not bad. Not bad at all. Not that it ever was bad.

I hope the same thing about the PS3. I want to play MGS3 and ZOE2 with zero slowdown.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
The only thing that scares me is the controller. I guess they aren't going to have any regular controllers. Am I missing something? They may be great to use but I just can't envision them across different game types. May be a gamble.

Last I heard, you can plug GC controllers into the Wii.

Sep 21, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Last I heard, you can plug GC controllers into the Wii.

That would be GREAT! Already have 4 for the GC.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #59 of 59
A lot of people have been commenting about the problem of being limited to the Wiimote ever since news started popping up. You can use your old Gamecube controllers, or you can use the new Wii controller that is set up similar to a PS2 DualShock controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back