Wii Details - For Those Who Don't Know
Sep 16, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
It was in the original post. 2000 for $20.

Yikes, pretty expensive then ($5 for a virtual NES game, $8 for SNES, and $10 for N64?)
frown.gif
(Or do you perhaps buy games in bundles?)

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Yikes, pretty expensive then ($5 for a virtual NES game, $8 for SNES, and $10 for N64?)
frown.gif

It depends on how many games they have. If they have all the hard to find games (especially RPGs) that cost a fortune now due to their popularity, then it may be worthwhile.

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
frown.gif

I'm still kinda surprised at how people think $5-$10 is a rip off. At one time they were good enough to pay the $40 for them. Man, my Friday lunches are $5.

I may only pick up a few of the classic NES games, like Metroid and Contra. Definitely will get FFIII and Chrono Trigger for the SNES. And I still haven't finished Ogre Tactics on the N64.

Does anyone remember any of the Turbo Graphix 16 games at all? I can only remember Bonk, hah, and their portable system, the Nomad wasn't it? Oh the nostalgia.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 59
The reason why I (And it seems many others on other forums) think that that these virtual console games cost so much is because they are essentially roms. Thus, it's like paying for official roms, when you get get all of games in rom form for free (illegal though, but you get the idea). I don't mind paying for the actual, physical carts of classics (I'm going back and slowly building up a SNES and GENESIS collection right now, actually), but I don't like paying $8 for "official" SNES roms (I and many others were actually expecting these NES/SNES titles to cost something like $1 a piece).

On paper, $8 for Chrono Trigger (And other rare SNES RPGs) sounds fantastic. But that's with the mind set that you're comparing it to the cost of the actual cart itself. I think the difference here is that if there's a very expensive, limited SNES game that I want to play, I find a means to play it, if you know what I mean, rather than trying to hunt down the cart (Considering that games like Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Lufia II, etc. are available through many means, both illegal and legal, the argument that you now have the opportunity to play expensive games for only $8 doesn't seem very strong to me).

I may be a bit wordy here, but I'm trying to be very careful with my wording so as to still follow the forum rules but still clarify my (and others') argument as to why $8 a SNES game seems expensive.

Born2bwire - The TG16/PCE was wonderful. So many great games like R-Type, Soldier Blade, Military Madness, Devil's Crush, Bonk's Adventure, and KLAX that I hope make it. The Nomad was Sega's portable Genesis player.

Here's a list of virtual console launch titles:

1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Castlevania
3. Duck Hunt
4. Excitebike
5. F-Zero
6. Kid Icarus
7. Legend of Zelda, The
8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. Mario Kart 64
10. Metroid
11. Mortal Kombat
12. New Adventure Island
13. Ninja Gaiden
14. OutRun
15. Pac-Man
16. Prince of Persia
17. Punch-Out!!
18. R-Type
19. Rayman 2
20. Sonic the Hedgehog
21. Star Fox
22. Super Mario 64
23. Super Mario Bros
24. Super Mario Kart
25. Super Mario World
26. Tecmo Bowl

Not bad, not bad at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 59
Another reason its worth paying for is that Nintendo probably has perfect emulation for the games it re-releases for the Wii. Plus, unlike some emulators where you must configure first then play, with the Wii you just play.

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
We spend hundreds of dollars on music, headphones, and gear, but you are really going to illegally obtain a game over the matter of four bucks?
blink.gif

Bah, I was afraid of this kind of response.

What I'm saying is that it seems expensive to pay $5 for a NES rom and $8 for a SNES rom, considering that they're roms and considering their age. My point is that is saying that paying $8 for Chrono Trigger is a great deal because it costs many times more for the actual cartridge isn't the best argument, unless you're the type of person that believes that you're only chance to play a game is to play the original cartridge (As in you've never considered roms (admittedly, they are illegal and there's an ethical issue involved), ports, compilations on later platforms, on-line classic gaming services, etc.). I still buy the original games and the original consoles, but if I want to play something like Star Ocean, Lufia I/II, Final Fantasy VI, Cotton 100%, Contra Force, Mario's Time Machine, Tengen Tetris, Dracula X, etc. I'm not going to hunt down the original copy on its native platform, and I'm not exactly going to wet my pants and go crazy if I see Dracula X for $8 through the Wii's Virtual Console (The value of Dracula X is based on the original copy for its original platform in question, not based on the game itself).

That said, I'd like to reiterate that I still buy original copies of games and that I still plan on buying a Wii and using the Virtual Console. I'm just saying that $5 for a virtual NES game and $8 for a virtual SNES game is still rather expensive and will add up quickly (Especially considering all the NES/SNES games that I'm and most other gamers seem to be interested in, and considering that I've been playing these classics for SEVERAL years through various platforms and means; so Nintendo telling me that I can play Super Mario World for $8 isn't exactly exciting, especially considering that I'm not paying for a physical, tangible copy of the game, possibly with the original box, a cartshell with artwork, an insert, and a manual).

450 - I'm going to be very careful about this, but for the sake of providing support for my argument, the level of configuration for modern emulators is minimal and emulation is essentially 99% like the real thing ("99%" because there's always the possibility of that one rare game that nobody has tried, that was probably only available in alpha/beta form). However, emulation is ethically wrong, and I respect this point in refuting my argument. I also agree with the argument that the public doesn't know what an emulator is and doesn't know how to use one; my argument is that for modern internet/forum users, this shouldn't be an issue (I believe that if you were able to find yourself to this website, and you know about high-end audio electronics and use them, then you probably know what an emulator is and how to use one). For clarification, I believe the cost is expensive to internet savvy people that know of several means to play these games, both illegal and legal. To the mass public, the price seems fair.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #39 of 59
I agree that the Virtual Console price is a *bit* high.

But, I can't justify NOT getting Mario Kart 64, and if they release them, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye: 007, and Perfect Dark.

The Wii is shaping up to be the ultimate multiplayer machine, and I'd love to be able to play these classic multiplayer games at any time.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
99 cent for MP3 is expensive, considering you can get it for free
wink.gif

Well, my point is that the idea of a virtual method of playing these games has been around for over a decade and that people have been doing so with these classics for several years. Then for Nintendo to introduce this new feature, but charge $8 for a digital SNES game, seems rather capitalistic (understandably, but still...). If this had been done, say, 5 or so years ago, then I'd understand. But it's so late in the game to introduce something old like this that charging this much money per game seems expensive.

(Note: this is in the view of internet savvy people who know a thing or two about classic gaming emulation, legal and illegal)

The difference with MP3s is that the library consists of more recent titles and not only 10 year old songs. I don't mind buying 10 year old games, but if I'm going to do it in a completely digitized manner similar to emulation, I think that $5/$8 a game is rather expensive. The N64 price is decent, but still seems expensive since a lot of N64 titles can be had for ~$10 a piece (I'm not talking about those super rare, OMG-EXPENSIVE titles, but titles that are likely to be put on this Virtual Console. I got my actual, physical copies of Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 for $15 a piece at my local Game Crazy; should be even cheaper if you look online).

Again, note that my argument is based on frequent internet users that are aware of several means (both illegal and legal), that have been available for a decade or so, of playing these classic games. I do agree that this Virtual Console is reasonably priced and will likely succeed for the mass public and your typical Joe Gamer. I personally believe that I will only find this price to be fair if Nintendo offers on-line multiplayer support for these classic games (a la Microsoft's XBLA).

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #42 of 59
I wonder. Will the Wii-mulation (get it? haha wii + emulation. ha.) clean up graphics a bit or enhance the games (like emulators for the PC can)? Like I'd love for 4 player Goldeneye or Perfect Dark to be less fuzzy and more fluent - fixing the slowdown problems on the other consoles. If this is the case 8-10 dollars for this is not bad. Not bad at all. Not that it ever was bad.

Azure: Emulation is no way shape or form 99% like the real thing. There are plenty of differences. Sure, there are times when things go great. But when there is a complex game, effects and other things dont work properly and the complete feel of the gaming experience is compromised however as always YMMV.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Azure: Emulation is no way shape or form 99% like the real thing. There are plenty of differences. Sure, there are times when things go great. But when there is a complex game, effects and other things dont work properly and the complete feel of the gaming experience is compromised however as always YMMV.

Apparently YMMV then, definetly. All of my experiences and everybody else's that I know have been literally perfect (graphics and sound), from simple games to the more complex ones.

Here's an interview with Perrin Kaplan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ocidfeed&hl=en

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
i am looking forward to the Wii, im alittle disappointed its $250 though i really thought it would be around $175. but the Wii sports bundle is cool.

here is a funny video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...i+vs+ps3&hl=en

Wow, you really expected it to be around $175. A brand new, next generation console to be around $175? Especially considering the new technology involved in this new generation, it's reasonable to expect the Wii to not cost the usual $199 that previous Nintendo consoles costed on launch. Man, that one article that about the speculation of the Wii launching at around $170 really shot people's realistic expectations of the Wii price. $250 seems like a very fair price to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back