WiFi a health risk?
Feb 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060223/...da_internet_dc

Personally, I don't think it is a risk to my health and I love the potential that WiFi has, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

580smile.gif
Abe

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 17
So is electricity in the walls. How about AM radio waves they have been around a while. I do even want to think about those FM signals. Oh, no, those other signals as well, Cell phones, CBs, cosmic rays, wireless phoens, light itself can be considered an electronic signal. Closed those windows folks. Aluminum Foil your head before it is to late. Don't stop with your head, keep on with the foil all the way up and down. While we are at it, foil the walls as well.

Let us not forget to make sure we are connected to a ground so that all that potential doesn't just sit there. What gage wire should we use for the best conduction? Got any ideals. To big and they will be to heavy to drag around. Let's start a poll on which gound cord will do the best for us. How about a poll on which foil would do best. How about the foil to ground ICs? WOW ... this can go on forever....

Well, we're toast....

BIG
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
eek.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Life's a health risk.. you're born then you die..

Ain't that the truth.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 17
This is a bit off topic, but related.

Can anyone HEAR microwaves? Like, when it's completely silent, I still hear a pitch tone. Not loud, and not tinnitus for sure. I asked my friend and he said they're microwaves. Does anyone else hear them, too?

O_o

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz

Can anyone HEAR microwaves? Like, when it's completely silent, I still hear a pitch tone. Not loud, and not tinnitus for sure. I asked my friend and he said they're microwaves. Does anyone else hear them, too?

O_o

That's just blood going through your ears, a little internal body noise. I don't think anyone hears absolute silence when it is actually silent.

Microwaves have frequencies in the GHz. That's a million times the frequencies humans hear at.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
So is electricity in the walls. How about AM radio waves they have been around a while. I do even want to think about those FM signals. Oh, no, those other signals as well, Cell phones, CBs, cosmic rays, wireless phoens, light itself can be considered an electronic signal. Closed those windows folks. Aluminum Foil your head before it is to late. Don't stop with your head, keep on with the foil all the way up and down. While we are at it, foil the walls as well.

The playful tone is evident, but I do hope you aren't serious about the underlying idea because many of the EM waves you mentioned possess varying wavelengths and intensities. Likewise, their resulting effects on the human body vary. To group all EM waves in a bunch for the purposes of ridiculing concern over the effects of Wi-Fi is ignorant, dismissive, and altogether unnecessary.

For your reference, here is a link to a recently conducted Israeli scientific study that discovered a reproducible link between cellular phone radiation and visual damage. The 2mW radiating source was run at 1.1 Ghz. In comparison, a number of Wi-Fi routers setup to cover long distances ramp up to well over 400mW at 2.4 Ghz.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz

O_o

That's the sawdust rustling about in your head.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 17
i specfically recall a similar situation in teh town i live in.

a local gas station wanted to put in a satelite dish so that they could use the benefits of an automated filling system. i dont know why it only worked through a satelite connection, but that was how it was.

MANY people argued aganst the satelite dish, because of the radioation harms it asscociated its-self with.

the coup-de-gra on the part of the gas station was the comment of "the satelite dish transmits at less than 1/2 of the power of a cell phone, for 5 miniutes a day... there wasnt much argument from ignorant people after that.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 17
I was actually concerned about the use of wireless increasing my risk of breast cancer, since the router with a high gain antenna is about 3-4 feet away on my desk and at chest level. However, as it turns out, I should be more worried about the effects of UV from the fluorescent lamps. The 250mW or so is not a problem in most cases (e.g. don't point a cantenna point-blank at your breast while it's plugged into a working device!).

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think comparing to Wifi, cellphone would pose a bigger threat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
IMHO cellphone have more chance for health risk than wifi.

I would definitely agree here. For one thing, the proximity for cellphone and WiFi radiation emissions are different- cellphones emit the greatest portions of their variety of radiation when in use, close to the head. Broadcasting anntenae for WiFi are usually located in some out of the way spot in a room or in some centralized location depending on the needs of the user, although devices like PSP's, DS's, PDA's and laptops may be an exception to that. I don't think they are any particular risk considering that the closest thing to where their emissions are locateed are hands, and people have a far greater risk of getting carpaltunnel syndrome than anything emitted from a WiFi signal, IMHO(and I've never seen anyone get CPS from playing video games
biggrin.gif
)

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back