Wich one for Ipod touch without portable amp?
Jun 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hi-Po

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

Couldn't find a 'say hello with a first post' forum so I will say hello here!
Been lurking for a while as many people do but I'm not sure that I filtered enough info to come to a good conclusion.

I have an Ipod touch 2G and would like to have a headphone for it. I'm not planning to use a portable amp so it should be driven solely by the Ipod.
I'm planning on using it for travel (bus,bycicle,walking) and for if I'm studying or relaxing on the couch/bed without disturbing others (reasonable isolation, closed back).
Furthermore comfort is also important but the sound quality stands in front for me.

My music styles are mostly techno (carl cox),dance,rock,classical, and some old stuff like the doors, black sabbath, Johnny Cash. So a very wide aspect of music.

I'm on a reasonable tight budget (student
confused_face.gif
). I'm willing to spend around €100,- (incl. shipping living in the Netherlands).

First off I have to say that I listened to the AKG K142,K242,K272 and those have a very nice and clear sound but I missed the bass in them. these are pure for sound reference because I know that they need to be amped. But I like their sound but would like some more bass in the ones I will buy.

this is what I came up with:

Sennheiser hd228 (€46,-)
AKG K518dj (€46,-)
Sony MDR 7506 (€110,- but probably worth it)
ATH-ES55 /ATH-A500/700?(any audio technica is very expensive in europe...but I read some good stuff about them)

If you guys have some other suggestions please let me know.

Hopefully I have given enough info for you guys.
Thanks in advance

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 19
KSC-75
MS-1
A-T ES7

Personally, I find canalphones better bang for the portable buck, but there are many cans that will do a great job too. Hard to beat those Koss clip-ons for VFM.

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 19
I already have IEM's the Sony MDR-EX71 and they are good enough for me. But I wanted a full size headphone because my inner ears get sore after a while from the EX71.
I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned.

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 19
I would also recommend the D1001, and the ES7. Audio technica's m50 is definitely worth a look, but might be too expensive. Yuin do a few clip on type headphones that might be of interest. Also seeing as youre in the eu, try ultrasone on amazon or something, the hfi680 or hfi780 may be available cheap where you are and are both supposed to be very good (i can personally vouch for the 780).

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Ok a lot of choices...
I don't want clip-on headphones and I want a closed back so a lot can be filtered. The ultrasones are to expensive for as far I could find online.
Leaves me with:
D1000/1001 (many say they don't really isolate well)
ATH-ES7( to expensive here 150eu)
ATH-M50 (can get it for 129eu)

How about the ones I've mentioned?
HD228, K518dj, MDR-7506?

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 19
I've looked at the delivery costs from amazond.de and it should be free
smily_headphones1.gif
so that would be a very good deal! Read the thread of the 780s here on Headfi.

But I'm still interested in some more feedback about the other headphones...

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 19
A little bit more and the m-50 should be a good buy for most of your music preferences. I use it with my itouch 2g.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 19
Could you tell me a bit more about the m50? Cause it is also a Headphone that looks interesting.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 19
for the es7 (and other AT's) you'll have to look outside the EU. Bluetin.com has it for about €110 + shipping, and US prices seem to be around $100. That's low enough to not be charged by customs.

btw, they are not really as clear and comfortable as the k271 but do give a very fun sound.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I'd go for an IEM. So much more practical. I use a pair of Etymptic ER-4Ps and am very happy.

as stated above I already have fine IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

But thanks for the suggestion anyway if my IEM go busto!

Thanks for the site Paaj! That is what I needed. Google isn't a big friend for me if it comes to searching for a shop.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 19
If you want bassy, comfortable, portable headphones that don't look silly when wearing thenh I would go for the D1001 or ATH-ES7. I don't like either of them as they have too much bass for me but apart from that they are both nice, very easy to drive and portable. The difference between the 2 is the size and the ATH-ES7 are maybe clearer sounding but more direct with less sound stage.

Neither are particularly isolating though but they don't leak. (isolating can be bad if you are walking or cycling anyway)

I've not heard the ATH-M50 and I think the K518dj and MDR-7506 aren't as portable as the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back