WHy write "sold" over your asking price
May 10, 2007 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

hierself

New Head-Fier
I am looking at for sale in Headphones and Amps etc

MOre than 70% write sold over their asking price.

why?

ex:you list Senn HD 580 for $100
somone sends u a PM for $95 or $100 etc
you accept, why cover the asking price.
It helps everyone better understand pricing and what seems to be average and fair.

If it was no secret when you posted your for sale price
why does it become a secret after you sell them.

I know when I look up a listing and I see it is sold......I definitely HOPE I see the price...when that $$$$$sold$$$ is over the asking price..I don't know about the rest of you, but I say to myself... whats up.

I still am pretty new and maybe that has been the "thing to do"

but..once you sell, why do you care if someone else sees JUST YOUR ASKING PRICE
not neccesarily the actual selling price.

It's only headphones, not the stock market.

Sorry for the tone, but, after repeatedly trying to understand values of headphones and amps, I soooo thank those who didn't scribble SOLD
cause those that leave the price,help EVERYONE understand pricing, including those that write SOLD after they sell.

of, I am done
apologies to anyone who is saying, geez, pipe down.

May 10, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 73
so headphones don't lose their value
person A wants to sell his hd580 fast, so he posts it up for 90 bucks and they are sold in a heartbeat
person B wants to sell his hd580, but is in no hurry, so he posts it up for 100
person C wants to buy an hd580, sees person A's post with the 90 asking price and tries to get person B to sell his hd580 at 90

or something like that

May 10, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 73
wow, when i asked this, i seriously didn't think that it was asked this often... i guess i was wrong...

I am sorry to those who I annoyed with this post when I made it...
frown.gif

May 10, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 73
Well, you aren't alone in voicing annoyance over the practice. There have been several threads in the past. The reasons are many. Try searching the Members Lounge for similar threads.

In general, I leave the price my for sale post. However, that price may not necessarily be the final selling price. On several occasions, I've had buyers negotiate with me and I sold for less than what I listed in the thread. So, in general, I agree that it's helpful to see the price information in the post, but just keep in mind that it may be not be accurate.

Also, there's nothing to stop you from sending a PM to the seller (or the buyer if know who bought it) and asking about the final sale price. The seller/buyer may decide not to share the information but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

May 10, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 73
I erase prices in for sale posts as a courtesy to buyers. That way, it's not generally known what they paid, if they resell. After all, price paid isnt' part of what something is worth.

May 10, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I erase prices in for sale posts as a courtesy to buyers. That way, it's not generally known what they paid, if they resell. After all, price paid isnt' part of what something is worth.

Agreed. It's a private deal and money related things I prefer to keep private.

-Alex-

May 10, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 73
I hate it :/ I love knowing what the going price is on stuff
frown.gif
But I understand how without mad SOLDS people can be hassled with pms way after the fact. I myself have pm'd a few people that didn't post it for an item that they had originally posted up to a year ago (Hoping to score some sweet L3000/Qualia deals) and I can only imagine how annoying that is....

I still hate it though
frown.gif
But I am a selfish individual that only thinks of himself and his poor wallet ;p

May 10, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 73
well it's nice knowing market price.

but that way, nobody will pm u asking about them cause it is blatantly obvious they are sold

May 10, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so headphones don't lose their value
person A wants to sell his hd580 fast, so he posts it up for 90 bucks and they are sold in a heartbeat
person B wants to sell his hd580, but is in no hurry, so he posts it up for 100
person C wants to buy an hd580, sees person A's post with the 90 asking price and tries to get person B to sell his hd580 at 90

or something like that

Person B can put in his thread "I'm in no hurry to sell and won't accept offers"

Person C can either pony up $100 or look / wait for another Person A who will take $90

Prices go up and down all the time, people who paid $350 for HF-1 would have known they were originally $200 but the market changed.

I would like to be able to see the final selling price for everything. It gives you some idea of the range of past selling prices. That doesn't mean someone can't list something at way over the odds, and that a desperate buyer won't pay.

You can put a nice big SOLD! at the top of the thread so you don't get pm's for something already sold.

May 10, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 73
At many of the computer forums I post at, you HAVE to leave the sold price for security purposes. A few times I've seen prices changed to "SOLD!" and they had an admin telling them to put the price back or have their account permanently banned from the classified sections.

May 10, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #14 of 73
The difference between computer used sales and audio gear used sales is rather large IMHO. You don't see too many people buying 3 different video cards and selling off the two that they didn't like
wink.gif
I would say that IMO the turnover rate of audio gear is much higher than computer gear, so people would like to keep the resale value of gear stable.

To me, it makes it difficult to judge the market value of parts, but I do think that it's the seller's and the buyer's right to remove the price from the listing. Would I prefer it that people leave the price in the post? Yes, but I still think the choice should be left to those involved in the deal.

May 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all, price paid isnt' part of what something is worth.

I could not possibly agree less. Price paid is the ONLY measure of what something is worth in a free market economy, which head-fi is. There is no other objective measure of value available. That's the whole purpose of money. I know, I know, "geezpipedown", but this is bad economics and I cannot cotton it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back